A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

Looks like Des Bremner won the European Cup and English Championship with Villa in the early 80s yet apparently only had one Scottish cap  that was gained during his Hibs days,  coming on as a sub 5/6 years earlier. Even by SFA standards it seems strange someone so successful was apparently nowhere near the national team. 

1 hour ago, 7-2 said:

Looks like Des Bremner won the European Cup and English Championship with Villa in the early 80s yet apparently only had one Scottish cap  that was gained during his Hibs days,  coming on as a sub 5/6 years earlier. Even by SFA standards it seems strange someone so successful was apparently nowhere near the national team. 

They won the EC 1982. We had some decent players then.

1 hour ago, 7-2 said:

John McGovern captained Nottingham Forest to two successive European Cups yet didn't get any caps.

16 hours ago, Big Chief Toffee Teeth said:
16 hours ago, Flybhoy said:
Des Bremner wins a header for Hibernian in the 1979 Scottish Cup Final that Rangers won after about 42 replays (this is replay number 1 apparently) Bobby Russell is, I believe the Rangers player nearby and think that may be the superb perm of Tony Higgins with his back to the camera. 
IMG_20190405_002254.jpg.d91a1ea099504d7b17a5e275b11296e5.jpg

Can't be Bobby Russell. He's upright.

He played for Rovers didn’t he? I took that as a standard anti-Rangers comment then I started to wonder...

eta - I think the podgy-looking Hibee in the background is Ally McLeod. The blurry Ranger is probably Parlane.

Edited by The Mantis

6 hours ago, 7-2 said:

It was just the way then.

That Villa team also featured Allan Evans, who I think made the World Cup squad, and Ken McNaught, who I'm sure didn't.  I don't know how many caps he had, but it wouldn't have been many.  Big English sides always had plenty Scots, many of whom weren't necessarily among the best Scots around.

It was just the way then.
That Villa team also featured Allan Evans, who I think made the World Cup squad, and Ken McNaught, who I'm sure didn't.  I don't know how many caps he had, but it wouldn't have been many.  Big English sides always had plenty Scots, many of whom weren't necessarily among the best Scots around.
Evans had 4 caps and was in the squad for the '82 world cup. McNaught was never capped as far as I can see.

1 minute ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

They were playing for nothing................................

.............apart from EBTs. Unless that was another Ibrox team.

No change there then.

Pat Crerand in a quite sublime Celtic change kit from the early 1960's, can't be 100% sure if the opponents are blue or black and white, im sure an older poster may be able to name the player, I think it's a Kilmarnock strip for what it's worth but may be wrong. 

IMG_20190406_103714.jpg

38 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Pat Crerand in a quite sublime Celtic change kit from the early 1960's, can't be 100% sure if the opponents are blue or black and white, im sure an older poster may be able to name the player, I think it's a Kilmarnock strip for what it's worth but may be wrong. 

IMG_20190406_103714.jpg

It's definitely Kilmarnock, I've seen this one before in both black & white and colour. The Killie player in question is Bertie Black. 

Here we see his teammates celebrating the 1965 title win.

30x.jpg

On 05/04/2019 at 00:25, Flybhoy said:

Des Bremner wins a header for Hibernian in the 1979 Scottish Cup Final that Rangers won after about 42 replays (this is replay number 1 apparently) Bobby Russell is, I believe the Rangers player nearby and think that may be the superb perm of Tony Higgins with his back to the camera. 

IMG_20190405_002254.jpg

I’d lost the will to live by the third game. It was like a football version of Brexit. Even worse after all that and Wembley stuck in the middle of it there was still one outstanding league game to be played in Northern Europe, yep Hibs v The Rangers at Easter Rd with a 2000 attendance.

2 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

I see the finals went:
12 May 0-0 51,000
16 May 0-0 34,000
28 May 3-2 31,000

Quite a drop off in crowds.

I'd wondered if the Hibs #9 may have been Bobby Smith who sported a textbook perm, but it was Higgins in each game.

Hibs were denied a stonewall penalty in the last two minutes of the first game.

The second game pished of rain for the entire game and extra time.

I’ve vaguely remember the third game being a Monday night.

1 hour ago, Glenconner said:

Hibs were denied a stonewall penalty in the last two minutes of the first game.

The second game pished of rain for the entire game and extra time.

I’ve vaguely remember the third game being a Monday night.

I'm sure one of the replays was on a Monday night - probably as you say, the final one.

I've vague recollections of it being on the radio in the car when my Dad picked me up from Cubs.  That makes it a Monday.