A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

2 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Old Firm semi at Hampden in December (I was at Uni too). I’m sure the lights were on half power or something. It was a very dark, dreich day as well. The same year that Dundee won it.

Harry Hood scoring a hat trick

13 minutes ago, Glenconner said:

Remember it being a draw and sitting on wooden benches in the Beach End.

1-45 pm kick off?

It was 0.0, after Celtic winning the first leg 3.2. I’ve just checked AFC Heritage, and sadly they have made an unusual error for them, in having the kick off at 7.30. Going on to the Celtic Wikipedia site it has the correct time of 1.30. However, back in AFC Heritage’s favour they have, as I remember, the correct crowd of 15,500, whereas Celtic Wiki has 28,000. I remember the crowd being really small for an Aberdeen v Celtic at that time because of the kick off time. Crowds for that fixture were usually much higher for a weekend match at that time.

Edited by kingjoey

1 minute ago, kingjoey said:

It was 0.0 after Celtic winning the first leg 3.2. I’ve just checked AFC Heritage, and sadly they have made an unusual error them, in having the kick off at 7.30. Going on to the Celtic Wikipedia site it has the correct time of 1.30. However, back in AFC Heritage’s favour they have, as I remember, the correct crowd of 15,500, whereas Celtic Wiki has 28,000. I remember the crowd being really small for an Aberdeen v Celtic at that time because of the kick off time. Crowds for that fixture were usually much higher for a weekend match at that time.

I've already posted about this game on one of the crowd attendance threads by our resident numbers expert. For some he had it down as 2800 which was nonsense because obviously you and me attended and know otherwise. 

Slightly odd part for me was my mother had died the day before and the old man had to start organising the funeral so rather than have me hanging around he offered/let me go to Aberdeen. Must sound really odd 46 years later.

A couple of Scotland v Brazil pictures, Raploch boy Billy Bremner rocking the 'dragged through a hedge backwards' look in 1973 at Hampden (can any older posters name the Brazilian?) and Alan Rough wearing a cracking goalie top at the 1982 World Cup trying not to concede another goal as Serginho closes him down in the 4-1 pasting in Malaga.

IMG_20190319_095910.jpg

IMG_20190319_095849.jpg

25 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

A couple of Scotland v Brazil pictures, Raploch boy Billy Bremner rocking the 'dragged through a hedge backwards' look in 1973 at Hampden (can any older posters name the Brazilian?) and Alan Rough wearing a cracking goalie top at the 1982 World Cup trying not to concede another goal as Serginho closes him down in the 4-1 pasting in Malaga.

Apparently Piazza was the captain. He played in the 1970 Final, although Carlos Alberto was captain then but didn't play against us. Also at Hampden from the Final were Clodoaldo, Jairzinho and Rivelino.

17 hours ago, paul wright scores said:

I remember we had candles for lights as there was no electricity.   I'd forgotten the TV channels also went off on the other days when we had power to conserve electricity. 

It was the quarter final of the league cup and we played them again 3 weeks later in the league, which was the last time/season we played them at Cliftonhill, so I've still never seen Killie play them away from home.   

Stumbled accross this in The Billy Wright Pub in Wolverhampton and thought of you.

I'm nice like that.

Eta: Beer choice is poor. Frequented by Jakies, but £2.55 for Kronenbourg is ok. I'm going somewhere else next though20190319_124930.jpg

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

1 hour ago, Flybhoy said:

IMG_20190319_095910.jpg

IMG_20190319_095849.jpg

Craggy Island's finest referee.

See the source image

On 11/03/2019 at 23:35, tamthebam said:

something I could spend hours on is the Britain from Above website, which has aerial photos taken in 1928, 1934 and the early 50s. There are some good pics of Hampden (and Cathkin to the North of Hampden) and Ibrox on there (don't think they've got Parkhead or Firhill... establishment bias back then!) but it's also a good challenge to try and spot obscure junior grounds if you know the location (I think  Keppoch Park is in one of the general views of North Glasgow)

Here's Love Street back in 1927.. 

5c86f0a301882_lovestreet1927.jpg.9ed15dc9ea8cf0b60cf42c81c09ec7d5.jpg

So despite these series photos being taken in 1928, this one got taken a year earlier...

2 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

So despite these series photos being taken in 1928, this one got taken a year earlier...

yes. by this guy. unfortunately when he got back from Love Street the TARDIS was up on bricks as he hadn't paid a wee ned to watch his time machine for him.

doctor.png.40925acec11b91f1df8ae7afed13d7c2.png

Sorry, have to add a link to this poem read on the night about Rose Reilly, I thought it to be "braw"!

Anybody interesting in the amazing story of Rose Reilly, may find this to be of interest: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00037n9

I also see that BBC Alba are currently in Milan filming for the upcoming documentary about her.

8 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Old Firm semi at Hampden in December (I was at Uni too). I’m sure the lights were on half power or something. It was a very dark, dreich day as well. The same year that Dundee won it.

Dundee beat us in the other semi in front of about 8,000 I'm sure.

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Dundee beat us in the other semi in front of about 8,000 I'm sure.

Be lucky if there was 50 neutrals (me being one of them) there that night.  Plus about one busload from Dundee. Outside of playing the game at Tannadice i doubt there was anything Dundee FC could have done to engage the support to travel. Maybe offered free buses?  Dundee in my time watching Scottish football have been noted for having a large away support. That night in 1973 was particularly bad bordering on embarrassing. Seen Junior teams with a bigger support away from home at an average league game.

Also in the 73/74 season I was at Dundee United v Falkirk game in early November that abandoned in the 2nd half due to fog. The league in their wisdom insisted it was replayed later that month. So on Wednesday 21 November 1,302 turned up on a Wednesday afternoon early kick-off to see United win 2-1.  Would have to be one of the lowest top division league crowds at Tannadice.