A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

7 hours ago, Pet Jeden said:

I'm not an elf & safety fanatic, but that Pittodrie photo really was outrageous. If one of the guys tumbled down the roof he was going to break his own legs or neck - fair enough - but he was also going to wipe out one of the kids sitting 60 ft below.

I’ve got the old MOTD videos from the 60s, 70s, 80s, and somewhere on there is a bit of footage from an English game where somebody actually fell through one of those roofs.

11 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

I’ve got the old MOTD videos from the 60s, 70s, 80s, and somewhere on there is a bit of footage from an English game where somebody actually fell through one of those roofs.

Wolves fan from the mid 80's, can't remember the opponents but bizzarely I remember it being a match involving them.

49 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Evening Times pink edition from 1974, the day Celtic clinched nine in a row at Brockville and Manchester United were relegated. 

IMG_20190307_212253.jpg

Man Utd relegated by Man City with a back heel from ex Utd player Dennis Law.

52 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Evening Times pink edition from 1974, the day Celtic clinched nine in a row at Brockville and Manchester United were relegated. 

IMG_20190307_212253.jpg

The original 9 in a row. One and only time i was on the old Brockville pitch. Side effect of Celtic winning 9 in a row was almost collapse in crowd attendances across Scotland. 

Strange to think i’m only 14 months away from possibly seeing 9 in a row again for the third time in 45 years.

8 minutes ago, Glenconner said:

Man Utd relegated by Man City with a back heel from ex Utd player Dennis Law.

Technically they weren't, Birmingham City won that day which meant United would have gone down regardless of the result against City, it's a good myth/bit of folklore for historians to peddle but factually inaccurate, although many reckon that was the moment that sort of sealed their fate in a piece of inevitability. 

Just now, Flybhoy said:

Technically they weren't, Birmingham City won that day which meant United would have gone down regardless of the result against City, it's a good myth/bit of folklore for historians to peddle but factually inaccurate, although many reckon that was the moment that sort of sealed their fate in a piece of inevitability. 

Only remember that game because of Law, legend of Utd, scoring with a back heel in a City shirt and the ensuing riot.

1 hour ago, Flybhoy said:

IMG_20190307_212253.jpg

I notice Clydebank beat..... Clydebank.... 2-1 that day...! :rolleyes:

10 hours ago, Glenconner said:
10 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Only remember that game because of Law, legend of Utd, scoring with a back heel in a City shirt and the ensuing riot.

Am I right in remembering that the Man Utd v Man City game was actually abandoned and authorities decided the score would stand?

Just now, Northboy said:

Am I right in remembering that the Man Utd v Man City game was actually abandoned and authorities decided the score would stand?

There was a very good film on BT Sport recently about that season Man Utd were relegated, the referee took the sides off the pitch late on after fans piled on to the pitch, after police restored some kind of order they played out the remaining few minutes to a near deserted stadium by which time Birmingham City had won and Utd knew they were down.

11 hours ago, Glenconner said:

Was there a riot? I remember the rest of it fairly vividly.

That was Denis's second spell at City.

Edited by Jacksgranda

Brilliant thread, spent the last few days at work looking through it, but it's not really a realistic photographic history of Scottish football! loads of pictures of massive crowds and big games, not so many of teams doing rubbish is there? it takes about 60 pages into this before you realise celtic actually lost a game, where's the pics of Brockville with 1500 in it as clyde thump us, or st johnstone at muirton with more rows of terracing than fans, Dunfermline....etc etc.

like I say still a brilliant thread , well worth looking through :thumsup2