A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

this one popped up on my twitter feed. titled 'Celtic End'  Parkhead 1971

https://twitter.com/oakroyd/status/1099767929267208192

5c74f290941f7_celticend.thumb.JPG.e7f09c42578ace5cf4a9c99a853cac17.JPG

I'm pretty sure that was part of the Harry Benson exhibition I saw recently at Pollok House. Bit of a contrast with some of the other pictures of Muhammad Ali and the Kennedys.

There's so much going on in that photo but what struck me was the lack of scarves. I thought they would have been around in 1971 but obviously bunnets still ruled the day and it was pretty standard for a man of a certain age to wear a shirt and tie to the football.

Eta: The caption at the exhibition said it was an Old Firm game if that helps date it.

1 hour ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I'm pretty sure that was part of the Harry Benson exhibition I saw recently at Pollok House. Bit of a contrast with some of the other pictures of Muhammad Ali and the Kennedys.

There's so much going on in that photo but what struck me was the lack of scarves. I thought they would have been around in 1971 but obviously bunnets still ruled the day and it was pretty standard for a man of a certain age to wear a shirt and tie to the football.

Eta: The caption at the exhibition said it was an Old Firm game if that helps date it.

In 1971 the entire Celtic commercial department was a shop built inside the supporters hall in the then Kinloch St which was situated about 20 yards away from the present day visitors section. Doubt the entire annual profits from the shop covered one players wages for a season. Certain draper shops in places like Saltmarket and Bridgeton Cross sold football scarfs (aye they sold both before you ask) A certain shop underneath the Hielanmans Umbrella on Argyle St sold more of a selection ie Thistle Hearts Hibs. Comparing cost from 1971 to the present day. St Roch’s Juniors got replica scarves made recently cost £10. Big change from 12//6 (65p)) in 1971.

Just saw in another post that Eric Caldow has passed away. This is him being carried off with a broken leg after 5 minutes at Wembley in 1963. Bobby Smith of England also had to go off. No subs back then but Scotland won 2-1 with 2 goals from Jim Baxter. 

805ABE50-FDCD-48E9-8B3C-F854F788D661.jpeg

On ‎04‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 01:40, Glenconner said:

In 1971 the entire Celtic commercial department was a shop built inside the supporters hall in the then Kinloch St which was situated about 20 yards away from the present day visitors section. Doubt the entire annual profits from the shop covered one players wages for a season. Certain draper shops in places like Saltmarket and Bridgeton Cross sold football scarfs (aye they sold both before you ask) A certain shop underneath the Hielanmans Umbrella on Argyle St sold more of a selection ie Thistle Hearts Hibs. Comparing cost from 1971 to the present day. St Roch’s Juniors got replica scarves made recently cost £10. Big change from 12//6 (65p)) in 1971.

12/6 is 62.5p

On 04/03/2019 at 01:40, Glenconner said:

St Roch’s Juniors got replica scarves made recently cost £10. Big change from 12//6 (65p)) in 1971.

Not really – it's broadly similar when you account for inflation.

1 hour ago, Mr Heliums said:

Not really – it's broadly similar when you account for inflation.

True enough Mr H and of  course the St Roch’s scarfs are collectors items. Probably get £200 for them on ebay’s football memorabilia section.

Pars legend and current Montrose manager Stewart Petrie in action as part of the 02/03 pre-season. We played New Zealand twice, winning once 1-0 (Brewster) and losing once 4-2 (Scott Thomson and Colin Nish).

Image may contain: 2 people, people playing sport and outdoor

On 02/03/2019 at 22:29, Monkey Tennis said:

I love these pictures of authorities tolerating dozens of people putting themselves in situations that genuinely endanger their lives, to get a decent view.

I'm not an elf & safety fanatic, but that Pittodrie photo really was outrageous. If one of the guys tumbled down the roof he was going to break his own legs or neck - fair enough - but he was also going to wipe out one of the kids sitting 60 ft below.

12 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

I'm not an elf & safety fanatic, but that Pittodrie photo really was outrageous. If one of the guys tumbled down the roof he was going to break his own legs or neck - fair enough - but he was also going to wipe out one of the kids sitting 60 ft below.

F*** me, Hearts' fans are never happy about The Dons' attendances...

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Pars legend and current Montrose manager Stewart Petrie in action as part of the 02/03 pre-season. We played New Zealand twice, winning once 1-0 (Brewster) and losing once 4-2 (Scott Thomson and Colin Nish).

Image may contain: 2 people, people playing sport and outdoor

Is that Chris Killen chasing him?

2 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Is that Chris Killen chasing him?

I believe so. He scored in the 4-2 win. Not sure which one the photo is from though, or if Killen played in the Pars win.

On 01/03/2019 at 22:53, Flybhoy said:

An old image of the Merkland Road end of a packed Pittodrie for Aberdeen v Hibs in 1947 I seen on Twitter earlier getting that retrospective colour treatment thing.

IMG_20190301_225245.jpg

A brilliant but scary photo.

6 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

F*** me, Hearts' fans are never happy about The Dons' attendances...

:)