A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

Tommy Burns, Dom Sullivan, Davie Provan and Johnny Doyle dressed in some naff, stereotypical Spanish garb before the EC tie with Real Madrid  in 1980 for a picture in what probably passed as cutting edge humour back in the early 80's, the type of humour still peddled out on that yearly Only an Excuse pish on the BBC. The long gone Janefield Street flats behind the Celtic end visible in the background. 

IMG_20190215_220729.jpg

This picture is at the top of an article that has nothing to do with Brechin City. Brechin finished 6th in the old Division 2 or was it called B Division that season.

A team photo of Brechin City FC from late March 1956. From left - Nicol, Patterson, Christie, Grant, Aitken, Rennie, Selway, Hodge, Muir, Duncan, Warrender

A team photo of Brechin City FC from late March 1956. From left - Nicol, Patterson, Christie, Grant, Aitken, Rennie, Selway, Hodge, Muir, Duncan, Warrender

Edited by Eednud

18 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

That's not a 50s kit surely?

And Wembley wasn't roofed like that until the '66 World Cup, was it?

You could be correct there to be fair, im just quoting the blurb that accompanied the picture I saw it on on a Scottish Football memories page.

1 hour ago, Ken Fitlike said:

That sounds about right.

I'm a bit baffled by the roof thing though.  I'd thought that it was built for the '66 World Cup, so a year ahead of that makes sense I suppose.  In searching though, I found a photo of Billy Graham addressing a huge crowd there in 1965, underneath the rickety looking old roofs that didn't go round the ends.  Given that the England/Scotland fixture was in early April 1965 though, it doesn't allow much time for the work to have taken place.

My guess is that the Billy Graham date is wrong, but I'm not sure.

9 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

That sounds about right.

I'm a bit baffled by the roof thing though.  I'd thought that it was built for the '66 World Cup, so a year ahead of that makes sense I suppose.  In searching though, I found a photo of Billy Graham addressing a huge crowd there in 1965, underneath the rickety looking old roofs that didn't go round the ends.  Given that the England/Scotland fixture was in early April 1965 though, it doesn't allow much time for the work to have taken place.

My guess is that the Billy Graham date is wrong, but I'm not sure.

The roof was fitted in 1963 apparently. 

1962 Cup Final there shows the cranes beginning the process...

PA-10969498.jpg.38396701ea05cb5c8ccaef01040c5895.jpg

Then the 63 Final shows it in place...

gettyimages-78984323-1024x1024.thumb.jpg.75c8f94ea2e5e6c32da8f49e1b9ce2cf.jpg

Problem solved then - it was a bit earlier than I'd thought.  It was still to do with the approaching World Cup though, I think.

The Billy Graham concert turns out to have been 1955 I think.  You can't expect the London Evening Standard to get these things right apparently.

On ‎16‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 14:36, Monkey Tennis said:

Problem solved then - it was a bit earlier than I'd thought.  It was still to do with the approaching World Cup though, I think.

The Billy Graham concert turns out to have been 1955 I think.  You can't expect the London Evening Standard to get these things right apparently.

"concert"?