A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

Scotland v England 1970, a goalless draw at Hampden, pictured* are  John Greig, Jimmy Johnstone, Alan Ball and Emlyn Hughes, sadly only Greig is still with us.

*Can't make out the Scotland player in the distance. 

IMG_20190211_223911.jpg

Edited by Flybhoy

3 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Scotland v England 1970, a goalless draw at Hampden, pictured* are  John Greig, Jimmy Johnstone, Alan Ball and Emlyn Hughes, sadly only Greig is still with us.

IMG_20190211_223911.jpg

Is that Bobby Moncur watching from afar?

4 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

It is Douglas Park (thanks Google- it's the 4th photo that came up when I typed in "Douglas Park Hamilton Accies!) :lol:

5c6348cb229c4_douglaspark.jpg.1a943b092e91298fe96732f1b481ae52.jpg

here's another one. 

In both of the photos the covered enclosure looks to be much nearer one goal rather than straddling the halfway line as most do. Was that actually the case or is it a trick of the photographs?

5c634b9b7bc3f_forfarvdundeeunited.thumb.jpg.7c274d9cf931e9fd4a7e7ecfbc4c883e.jpg

Tuesday 24th March 1987 Scottish Cup Quarter Final Replay: Forfar Athletic 0 Dundee United 2 (John Holt, Iain Ferguson). Crowd 8, 139, a bit of a squeeze at Station Park!  

From an old print I have which is a bit battered now due to not being looked after over the years.

Forfar: Kennedy, Lorimer, Hamill, Morris, Smith, McPhee, Ward, Brewster, Clark, Cormack, MacDonald. Subs: Mark Bennett, Billy Bennett.

United: Main, Holt, Narey, Malpas, Hegarty, Clark, Redford, Kinnaird, McInally, Ferguson, Sturrock. Subs: Bowman, Gallagher. 

Ref: Jim Duncan (Gorebridge)

Both sides had a player called John Clark on their side. Forfar had a decent team- Kenny Ward, Kenny MacDonald and Craig Brewster were all capable of scoring. 

5 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

But then on this one the fuckers have clearly extended it but only on one side.

Dunno. I give up.

downloadfile-2.jpg

the Hamilton triangle! 

Famously the newer stand on the bottom left of the photo is now to be found at Auchinleck Talbot's Beechwood Park. 

10 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

But then on this one the fuckers have clearly extended it but only on one side.

Dunno. I give up.

downloadfile-2.jpg

While watching the Auchinleck Talbot v Ayr United Scottish Cup tie on the BBC a few weeks ago the commentator told how that extension to the old main stand at Douglas Park is now the actual main stand at Talbot's ground, the structure was dismantled and transported, presumably in several large lorry loads down to Ayrshire where it was re-assembled and built at the Junior sides ground where it still stands today, approximately 20 years later.

1 hour ago, Flybhoy said:

IMG_20190211_223911.jpg

Was at that: quite a few extra tickets were forged to allow the crowd to go 3000 plus over Hampden's limit, from what I recall.

28 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

5c634b9b7bc3f_forfarvdundeeunited.thumb.jpg.7c274d9cf931e9fd4a7e7ecfbc4c883e.jpg

Tuesday 24th March 1987 Scottish Cup Quarter Final Replay: Forfar Athletic 0 Dundee United 2 (John Holt, Iain Ferguson). Crowd 8, 139, a bit of a squeeze at Station Park!  

From an old print I have which is a bit battered now due to not being looked after over the years.

Forfar: Kennedy, Lorimer, Hamill, Morris, Smith, McPhee, Ward, Brewster, Clark, Cormack, MacDonald. Subs: Mark Bennett, Billy Bennett.

United: Main, Holt, Narey, Malpas, Hegarty, Clark, Redford, Kinnaird, McInally, Ferguson, Sturrock. Subs: Bowman, Gallagher. 

Both sides had a player called John Clark on their side. Forfar had a decent team- Kenny Ward, Kenny MacDonald and Craig Brewster were all capable of scoring. 

That was a fine Forfar side. I'd often go to Station Park when Dundee were away. Brewster was a terrific talent and scored a belting free kick in a Scottish Cup tie at home to Celtic, possibly 88-89. Forfar held their own in the First for a good few seasons, and indeed almost got promoted to the Premier Division at one point. There was an unfounded rumour that the board didn't want to go up as they'd have to spend a small fortune on the team and the ground. 

Pretty sure I've mentioned it before, but Forfar should have won the tie at the first attempt. They were 2-1 up at Tannadice before conceding a penalty with about 10 seconds left. All in all a pretty weird Cup tournament, Dundee and the DABs were sent to play the semi-final at Tynecastle which wasn't a popular decision, before St Mirren would eventually overcome a knackered United in the final AET. St Mirren knocked out Hearts in the other semi. The OF were both binned early on with the infamous Adrian Sprott knocking out the buns at Ibrox and Celtic falling to Hearts. 

37 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

At this one too, United had equalised in the 90th minute at Tannadice to force this replay, and the week before the Station Park game had beaten Barcelona at the Nou Camp.

Too many games, we just ran out of steam at the end of that season, losing the Scottish Cup Final, although I always maintain unfairly (Fckn Kenny Hope), and the UEFA Final.