A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

16 hours ago, badgerthewitness said:

The late 70s/early 80s marked a change, from old style cotton shirts to shiny fabric, for a lot of teams. A quick search of Hearts photos from both periods, although not the clearest images, seems to confirm this.

I can remember my first shiny Hearts shirt being the Alexander’s style one with the thick white v-neck (although the sponsors logo didn’t appear on shop bought replica taps back then) I cant recall a shiny version of the Umbro diamonds down the arms Hearts shirt.

On 02/01/2019 at 13:58, tamba_trio said:

1992 European Championships.

Whilst we're in the subject of Scotland being shit, here's the rare case where they were actually pretty damn good.

Firstly, to qualify was one of our best achievements - only 8 teams made the finals back then and, despite the apathy after our Italia 90 failure, we were one of them.

Obviously, we got drawn in the group of death. Germany (world champions), Holland (European champions) and the CIS who, whilst still the Soviet Union, had lost the previous Euro final to Holland.

So we had no chance, only to produce three excellent performances (which is pretty damn unusual for a Scotland side).

We were unlucky in losing 1-0 to Holland in our first game to a late Berkamp goal. Then we proceeded to play even better against Germany. 

We could've taken the lead about three times before the Germans scored a scrappy opener. In particular, one pass from Paul McStay deserves to be remembered as one of the most fantastic bits of genius ever produced by Scotland - he left 5 Germans standing still whilst he put Gary McAllister through on goal. Sadly, the bald twat sclaffed it straight at the keeper, and everyone forgot about it. A freak deflected cross gave them a 2-0 win.  We were robbed.

The CIS only needed to beat us in the last game to qualify but Scotland thumped them 3-0 (Brian McClair even scored) to finish third in the group. The CIS promptly crumbled as an international force and were last seen sponsoring the Scottish league cup about 15 years ago.

images.jpeg

The CIS game is the first Scotland game I can remember watching.

3 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

The CIS game is the first Scotland game I can remember watching.

i watched that game by myself, pissed, on top of a flat roof at the top of Blackness Road Dundee.  Dragged the telly outside through a hatch in a small cupboard.

Just now, Melanius Mullarkey said:

i watched that game by myself, pissed, on top of a flat roof at the top of Blackness Road Dundee.  Dragged the telly outside through a hatch in a small cupboard.

Mine isn't impressive as that, but I watched the 2001 FA Cup final between Liverpool and Arsenal on a deckchair under one of those huge white garden umbrellas.  Had the TV connected into the living room with a mental long extension cable.  Tremendous.

Was this game.

Image result for 2001 fa cup final

4 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Mine isn't impressive as that, but I watched the 2001 FA Cup final between Liverpool and Arsenal on a deckchair under one of those huge white garden umbrellas.  Had the TV connected into the living room with a mental long extension cable.  Tremendous.

Was this game.

Image result for 2001 fa cup final

I was doing my gas course written exams at Kirkaldy college that day, was absolutely spewing at having to go do it on a Saturday but my then employer was paying for it, I recorded the match with the intention of watching it 'live' when I got home, only to turn the ignition on in the car at 5.00ish and the radio came on automatically just as the guy said Liverpool won a dramatic final 2-1 with two late goals from Michael Owen. 

Wasn't my weekend. 

I was doing my gas course written exams at Kirkaldy college that day, was absolutely spewing at having to go do it on a Saturday but my then employer was paying for it, I recorded the match with the intention of watching it 'live' when I got home, only to turn the ignition on in the car at 5.00ish and the radio came on automatically just as the guy said Liverpool won a dramatic final 2-1 with two late goals from Michael Owen. 
Wasn't my weekend. 
so you failed the exams then?

18 minutes ago, ah-dee said:
3 hours ago, Flybhoy said:
Wasn't my weekend. 

so you failed the exams then?

Eh ?

On 09/01/2019 at 19:53, Pet Jeden said:

The guy 2nd from left, 4th from front - looking anxious, sweaty and licking his lips. Two teenagers in front of him and two wee boys behind him. Do you think it's too late to warn Social Services ?

It's the Hearts crowd, not Celtic.

3 hours ago, dirtydave said:

It's the Hearts crowd, not Celtic.

It's a Hibs crowd. But tbf, in those days a proportion of attendances at ER and Tynie would have been supporters of the other Edinburgh team. So, Sweaty Man, could in fact be a Jambo. But let's go with stereotypes - probably a stray Celtic man.

9 hours ago, Pet Jeden said:

It's a Hibs crowd. But tbf, in those days a proportion of attendances at ER and Tynie would have been supporters of the other Edinburgh team. So, Sweaty Man, could in fact be a Jambo. But let's go with stereotypes - probably a stray Celtic man.

:lol:

Jim McInally at the end of the 1987 UEFA Cup Final 2nd leg against Gothenburg at Tannadice.
FB_IMG_1547197433245.thumb.jpg.d1febb937ed98e169eff0caf3beb5641.jpg

This glorious failure led to the building of the Fair Play enclosure which was a great place to stand in derbies, being directly adjacent to the Shed. I’ll never forget when Ristic equalised that time [emoji1303][emoji23] (wins were thin on the ground back then).