A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

3 hours ago, TheCelt67 said:

A 36 year old Ronnie Simpson making his Scotland debut at Wembley 1967.  A Scottish record for oldest debutee and I'd be surprised if there are many others  in world football with an older debut age. 

FB_IMG_1546457009895.jpg

He was selected by Matt Busby to play in the Great Britain Olympic team in 1948 as a Queens Park player at the tender age of 18.

1 minute ago, WitsTheGoalieDain? said:

IMG_4473.jpgIMG_4484.jpg

When I first started watching football Clydebank were in the Premier Division. And nearly stayed up, except Falkirk pulled off an unlikely win at Parkhead IIRC.  After relegation they were then a respected midtable First Division side (who annoyed me because Meadowbank could never beat them!!) for many years. Kilbowie wasn't the worst ground to watch football at in those days and the support wasn't too bad either. 

Seeing these old photos of the Bankies makes me think that perhaps they were the Third Lanark of the modern era- shafted and then disappeared. Although there seems to have been more sympathy for Third Lanark's disappearance over the years than Clydebank's (maybe Scottish football is full of 1965 era embittered East Stirlingshire fans). The sorry history of the Bankies should perhaps ring warning bells for every club in the 1st and 2nd Divisions- no matter how well run you appear to be there's always that chance you won't be around a few seasons later. 

The reformed by fans  Clydebank FC found a home in the West Juniors, doing well there and reaching the Junior Cup final a few years ago. They would benefit from having a ground of their own but I'm not sure the local Council are too keen on helping them out. I'm sure a Bankie will put me right on that score though. 

1992 European Championships.
Whilst we're in the subject of Scotland being shit, here's the rare case where they were actually pretty damn good.
Firstly, to qualify was one of our best achievements - only 8 teams made the finals back then and, despite the apathy after our Italia 90 failure, we were one of them.
Obviously, we got drawn in the group of death. Germany (world champions), Holland (European champions) and the CIS who, whilst still the Soviet Union, had lost the previous Euro final to Holland.
So we had no chance, only to produce three excellent performances (which is pretty damn unusual for a Scotland side).
We were unlucky in losing 1-0 to Holland in our first game to a late Berkamp goal. Then we proceeded to play even better against Germany. 
We could've taken the lead about three times before the Germans scored a scrappy opener. In particular, one pass from Paul McStay deserves to be remembered as one of the most fantastic bits of genius ever produced by Scotland - he left 5 Germans standing still whilst he put Gary McAllister through on goal. Sadly, the bald twat sclaffed it straight at the keeper, and everyone forgot about it. A freak deflected cross gave them a 2-0 win.  We were robbed.
The CIS only needed to beat us in the last game to qualify but Scotland thumped them 3-0 (Brian McClair even scored) to finish third in the group. The CIS promptly crumbled as an international force and were last seen sponsoring the Scottish league cup about 15 years ago.
images.jpeg.63d0c5f2e878f22fa36ea72598a14aca.jpeg
Also worth bearing in mind that, until Kluivert scored in the 78th minute against England, we had qualified for the knockout stages at the Euro '96 finals.

talking of Clydebank:

clydebank.jpg.b9fef77f1317cd638a60e7fe97eb297b.jpg

Treanor: I once appeared in the Panini sticker album you know..

Shanks: Did ye, aye? 

Davie Shanks! Played with him ( insert Kenneth Williams gif ) at school. Went on to become a board member, then erstwhile chairman at Cliftonhill, where he still goes every other Saturday. C'mon 'vers!

14 hours ago, tamthebam said:

When I first started watching football Clydebank were in the Premier Division. And nearly stayed up, except Falkirk pulled off an unlikely win at Parkhead IIRC.  After relegation they were then a respected midtable First Division side (who annoyed me because Meadowbank could never beat them!!) for many years. Kilbowie wasn't the worst ground to watch football at in those days and the support wasn't too bad either. 

Seeing these old photos of the Bankies makes me think that perhaps they were the Third Lanark of the modern era- shafted and then disappeared. Although there seems to have been more sympathy for Third Lanark's disappearance over the years than Clydebank's (maybe Scottish football is full of 1965 era embittered East Stirlingshire fans). The sorry history of the Bankies should perhaps ring warning bells for every club in the 1st and 2nd Divisions- no matter how well run you appear to be there's always that chance you won't be around a few seasons later. 

The reformed by fans  Clydebank FC found a home in the West Juniors, doing well there and reaching the Junior Cup final a few years ago. They would benefit from having a ground of their own but I'm not sure the local Council are too keen on helping them out. I'm sure a Bankie will put me right on that score though. 

Running a football club down or selling it off into oblivion or moving it to another town should just about be a capital offence to my mind. It's not like just a builders company or a just a retailer going out of business. It's decades of the emotions and family histories of the people of a town. It's not really the owner's property to destroy. 

A few Celtic pictures I came across on Twitter, Murdo McLeod scores against dead Rangers in the 1982 League Cup final, Roy Aitken leads the team out away to Werder Bremen in 1988 with Frank Mcavennie, Mark McGhee and Tommy Burns behind him and Paul McStay in action against Cologne in 1992, a 2-0 defeat in the first leg was turned around with a 3-0 win at Celtic Park, a very rare for that period European glory night, normal service was resumed in the next round with a fisting from Borrusia Dortmund. 

FB_IMG_1546613784950.jpg

IMG_20190102_125522.jpg

IMG_20190102_214112.jpg

On ‎02‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 13:58, tamba_trio said:

1992 European Championships.

Whilst we're in the subject of Scotland being shit, here's the rare case where they were actually pretty damn good.

The CIS only needed to beat us in the last game to qualify but Scotland thumped them 3-0 (Brian McClair even scored) to finish third in the group. The CIS promptly crumbled as an international force and were last seen sponsoring the Scottish league cup about 15 years ago.

Yes, probably our best performance at a tournament finals. As always we failed to progress but it was a tough, tough group and I remember us playing particularly well.

5 hours ago, Northboy said:

Yes, probably our best performance at a tournament finals. As always we failed to progress but it was a tough, tough group and I remember us playing particularly well.

We were very unlucky against Holland and Germany, in the opening match against the Dutch big Dave McPherson skied a fucking sitter over the bar at 0-0 before Dennis Bergkamp scored a late winner, the very notion of those two playing in the same match is quite amusing in hindsight. 

The final match against whatever the Russians were called at that point was bizarre, they were a very talented side and would have made the semi-finals with a win against Scotland  but were utterly honking against us, the final match they ever played as the old Soviet Union was in the process of being dissolved, we, as always pulled a great result and performance out in vain, having already been eliminated.

Edited by Flybhoy

6 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

A few Celtic pictures I came across on Twitter, Murdo McLeod scores against dead Rangers in the 1982 League Cup final, Roy Aitken leads the team out away to Werder Bremen in 1988 with Frank Mcavennie, Mark McGhee and Tommy Burns behind him and Paul McStay in action against Cologne in 1992, a 2-0 defeat in the first leg was turned around with a 3-0 win at Celtic Park, a very rare for that period European glory night, normal service was resumed in the next round with a fisting from Borrusia Dortmund. 

FB_IMG_1546613784950.jpg

IMG_20190102_125522.jpg

IMG_20190102_214112.jpg

Middle Picture- why was Stavros leading out Werder Bremen that night? Up the arse, Peeps. 

On 1/1/2019 at 10:08, Flybhoy said:

Tommy Coyne scores a hat trick in Celtic's 3-1 win over Hearts at Tynecastle on the opening day of 1989/90 season, Dariusz Dzekianowski who, aside from his four goal haul against Partizan Belgrade scored more often at Victorias than on the pitch during his spell in Glasgow, congraulates Coyne after his second goal while Alan McLaren and Henry Smith look on.

FB_IMG_1546355122873.jpg

A lot of rumours at the time that he scored a lot with the bhoys WAGS also.

On 02/01/2019 at 02:48, 7-2 said:

There is a long standing rumour that Derek Johnstone's lack of game time was due to him meeting the wife of the owner of the Grill bar at an outing to Scone Races and not getting back to the team hotel that night. 

They must have served food in those days......

7 hours ago, BillyAnchor said:

A lot of rumours at the time that he scored a lot with the bhoys WAGS also.

No wonder. He was a beautiful, beautiful man. 

Here he is scoring for Motherwell against Celtic in a league match at Hampden. 

GW628H559.jpg

Edited by Desp