A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

6 hours ago, jamtart1972 said:

England's desire to play against better opposition as they thought they were better than the rest

That was the real reason though. Glamour friendlies against the likes of Brazil were mentioned instead of the diddy neighbours they'd outgrown. We should have told them to go f**k themselves when they invited Scotland to play them at Wembley during their 150th celebrations in 2013. 

5 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The home internationals coming to an end doesn't really explain why the Scotland/England fixture took place at Hampden in consecutive years though.

The crowd trouble explanation makes more sense for that.

Thatcher Government knocked it on the head. Tens of thousands of angry Jocks roaming Central London in the 1980s. No brainer. Tories aren’t that daft.

After 1983/84 both England and Scotland withdrew from the competition.

The Rous Cup was the new competition so maybe it was luck of the draw that the first game against England was at Hampden.

Scotland and England also played at Hampden in consecutive years back in 1972 and 1973 albeit one was a friendly despite the result.

5 hours ago, Old Pack said:

IMG_5292.jpg
Muirton Park in the early 80,s

Is he trying to get in or out? Is the old boke standing as lookout? Judging by the apparent lack of people, vehicles and general activity I'm guessing this may not actually be a match day.

4 minutes ago, Northboy said:

Is he trying to get in or out? Is the old boke standing as lookout? Judging by the apparent lack of people, vehicles and general activity I'm guessing this may not actually be a match day.

Remember it's St Johnstone.

13 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I might be wrong, but surely not Brockville. I don’t remember it being that near countryside. With no real conviction, Douglas Park?

That's not countryside, it's a park. And it's still there I think. Brockville without a doubt.

Definitely Brockville - the double-gabled building on the left of the picture is Falkirk Library. 

I tried to find a 3D Google image with the same vantage point as that picture, but unfortunately they don't have 3D coverage in the area.