A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

1 hour ago, Flybhoy said:

Rangers scoring from a rare penalty award against St Mirren at Ibrox in 1969, Andy Penman the scorer.

FB_IMG_1541511213583.jpg

Think that's Davie Provan, 2-0 on September 6, 35000 there. There was also a 6-0 in March 1969, but the rare penalty was scored by John Greig.

Think that's Davie Provan, 2-0 on September 6, 35000 there. There was also a 6-0 in March 1969, but the rare penalty was scored by John Greig.
The first game of football that I went to was the 6-0 game. Can't remember too much about as was four but the scoreline stuck in my mind for some reaso.
Coincidentally the first Scotland game I went to they beat Finland 6-0.

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

FFS!

Why do people not know about this?  The SPL ended years ago.  It really bugs me when posters still prattle on as if it's ten years ago.

It's never been particularly relevant because I don't support a relegation regular #w38 fodder crew m8.  Soz. 

31 minutes ago, Estragon said:

It's never been particularly relevant because I don't support a relegation regular #w38 fodder crew m8.  Soz. 

Yes, very good.

It's extremely relevant to anyone who supposedly takes an interest in Scottish football.  Bone headed ignorance.

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, very good.

It's extremely relevant to anyone who supposedly takes an interest in Scottish football.  Bone headed ignorance.

You're either overreacting, or just showing off  - either way it's not gaining any traction. 

1 minute ago, Estragon said:

You're either overreacting, or just showing off  - either way it's not gaining any traction. 

Overreacting.  

Not sure what traction I'm after, mind.

It bugs me because it reveals a failure to recognise what's happened.  The second best thing about Rangers dying was the demise of the SPL.   It's regrettable that Doncaster is still in a job, but the end of the SPL didn't just see a name change for the top flight.  It saw the divisions reunited as one body.  This allowed for play-offs, for a limited flattening out of prize money differentials and an end to the ridiculous ground criteria that were introduced simply to hoist the drawbridge, which was of course the entire raison d'etre of the SPL in the first place. 

It's several years now since the SPL existed, and it requires the skills of a Sportsound pundit to not know what that means.

5 hours ago, Ken Fitlike said:

Have Hibs had many Fluckers play for them over the years?

from excellent Facebook page 'Old Scottish Football Pictures'

45600064_1961937317233327_1165445251284860928_o.jpg

I did a wee article on Peter Flucker for the Edinburgh City programme last season. He enjoyed his best spell at St Bernard's in the late 1930s and also played for Hearts, Queen of the South and Arbroath. 

I think he emigrated to South Africa after the war and he was a guest at the Hibs Centenary dinner in 1975. 

9 hours ago, Eednud said:

Aberdeen v Dundee at Pittodrie. Alan Gilzean and Kenny Cameron (I think) are the Dundee players and that has to be John Tubby Ogston in goal. Is the Aberdeen player on the left Jimmy Hogg? If it is and also Kenny Cameron then it’s probably 1962/63.

IMG_0616.jpg

That's definitely Kenny Cameron: as a youngster I saw Kenny, then at United, smoking a fag after scoring two goals in an away game. It encouraged me to take up the habit, as a fast track method to become a football star.

For some reason, it didn't work.

2 hours ago, killiekranky said:

Gerelateerde afbeelding

Gordon McQeen scoring at Wembley .

Suspended for a European cup final for Leeds v Bayern Munich (0-2) and his ambition was to win the World Cup with Scotland.

Sounds far fetched until you realise the Leeds starting team in that final contained 5 (FIVE) Scots, with a further one on the bench. 

It's easy to forget how high a level Scots played at when you look at the level a lot of our national team players are at now, but look how many were playing in European Cup Finals around that time (not even considering others in Cup Winners Cup or UEFA Cups):

1975 Bayern Munich 2 Leeds 0

(David Stewart, Frank Gray, Billy Bremner, Peter Lorimer, Joe Jordan. Sub: Eddie Gray. Susp. Gordon McQueen)

1978 Liverpool 3 Club Brugge 1

(Alan Hansen, Graeme Souness, Kenny Dalglish)

1979 Nottingham Forest 1 Malmo 0

(John McGovern, Kenny Burns, John Robertson. Subs: Archie Gemmill, John O'Hare)

1980 Nottingham Forest 1 Hamburg 0

(Frank Gray, Kenny Burns, John McGovern, John Robertson. Sub: John O'Hare)

1981 Liverpool 1 Real Madrid 0

1982 Aston Villa 1 Bayern Munich 0

(Allan Evans, Ken McNaught, Des Bremner. Subs: Andy Blair)

1984 Liverpool 1 Roma 1

(Alan Hansen, Graeme Souness, Kenny Dalglish. Subs: Gary Gillespie, Steve Nicol)

and this was after Roma narrowly beat Dundee United in the semi-final.

Averaging 4 players a season in the European Cup Final, and mostly winning it!

40 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Suspended for a European cup final for Leeds v Bayern Munich (0-2) and his ambition was to win the World Cup with Scotland.

Sounds far fetched until you realise the Leeds starting team in that final contained 5 (FIVE) Scots, with a further one on the bench. 

It's easy to forget how high a level Scots played at when you look at the level a lot of our national team players are at now, but look how many were playing in European Cup Finals around that time (not even considering others in Cup Winners Cup or UEFA Cups):

1975 Bayern Munich 2 Leeds 0

(David Stewart, Frank Gray, Billy Bremner, Peter Lorimer, Joe Jordan. Sub: Eddie Gray. Susp. Gordon McQueen)

1978 Liverpool 3 Club Brugge 1

1979 Nottingham Forest 1 Malmo 0

(John McGovern, Kenny Burns, John Robertson. Subs: Archie Gemmill, John O'Hare)

1980 Nottingham Forest 1 Hamburg 0

(Frank Gray, Kenny Burns, John McGovern, John Robertson. Sub: John O'Hare)

1981 Liverpool 1 Real Madrid 0

1982 Aston Villa 1 Bayern Munich 0

(Allan Evans, Ken McNaught, Des Bremner. Subs: Andy Blair)

1984 Liverpool 1 Roma 1

(Alan Hansen, Graeme Souness, Kenny Dalglish. Subs: Gary Gillespie, Steve Nicol)

and this was after Roma narrowly beat Dundee United in the semi-final.

Averaging 4 players a season in the European Cup Final, and mostly winning it!

Couldn't really appeal the decision.

4 hours ago, Glenconner said:

Need to tell us your location in the ground or it doesn’t count.

Ah, ok. I was standing on the East Terrace, directly behind the goal, around three quarters of the way from the front. I think that I was leaning on a barrier. 

On 11/5/2018 at 17:54, Northboy said:

Looks like a fairly star studded Rangers line up for a testimonial match.

Pretty sure it was a Thursday or Friday night, around a week before the Scottish Cup final which Rangers were due to play Hearts in. No league games the weekend in between the testimonial and the cup final so used it as a warm up for the final I think.

Only really recall Goram saving Eadies penalty.