A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

Saw this on The Scotsman's web site. 18 February 1968 looking down Tannadice Street probably taken from a house on Sandeman Street the day Dundee United were at home in an early kick-off to Hearts and Dundee at home to Rangers in the Scottish Cup. Was at the United game hoping to go along to Dens after but police had stopped letting people through. Finished 5-6 to Hearts with United missing a penalty and 1-1 at Dens.  9,021 at Tannadice and 33,000 at Dens. Wonder how many, if any, lums you'd see nowadays?

Crowds at Tannadice Street before the game between Dundee and Rangers. Pic: I Davidson/DC Thomson

Edited by Eednud

18 hours ago, Eednud said:

Dundee United v Third Lanark possibly 1961/62 as think United switched to all white the next season.

IMG_0607.jpg

i didnt realise the corner stand and the one next to it were as old as that!

Definately one of scotlands quirkiest stadia. More so back in the day.

I remember going as a kid in the mid 90s and there being a small terraced stand to the right of the stands in the shot above next to the shed.

Any photos of that?

Saw this on The Scotsman's web site. 18 February 1968 looking down Tannadice Street probably taken from a house on Sandeman Street the day Dundee United were at home in an early kick-off to Hearts and Dundee at home to Rangers in the Scottish Cup. Was at the United game hoping to go along to Dens after but police had stopped letting people through. Finished 5-6 to Hearts with United missing a penalty and 1-1 at Dens.  9,021 at Tannadice and 33,000 at Dens. Wonder how many, if any, lums you'd see nowadays?

image.jpg&key=50da82b0bc68d68ed0f6aae6e5c26d7a8e62677a22c9d018c8a0e9cd8e7c8881
thats a great picture.

8 hours ago, Merkie84 said:

i didnt realise the corner stand and the one next to it were as old as that!

Definately one of scotlands quirkiest stadia. More so back in the day.

I remember going as a kid in the mid 90s and there being a small terraced stand to the right of the stands in the shot above next to the shed.

Any photos of that?

I think you're talking about the 'Fair Play Award Enclosure'.

I'm no United historian, so I'm sure someone will correct me, but my recollection of it was that it was built using the prize money awarded to Utd for winning UEFA's 'Fair Play' award during the 86/87 UEFA Cup run. The stipulation was that this money had to be used on ground improvement and was around £30,000, hence why it resulted in a small, stand-alone enclosure.

GL295463.jpg

Edited by Boo Khaki

On ‎14‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 11:52, Flybhoy said:

This has taken a strange turn...:huh:

Anyway, one for the Kilmarnock fans, winning the league at Tynecastle on the final day of the season in 1965 against a Hearts side who, uncharacteristically shat it when they only needed a draw to win the title. 

FB_IMG_1539509379958.jpg

No, they only needed to not lose 2-0, due to the vagaries of goal average, a 4-2, 3-1, 5-3 etc defeat would have given Hearts the title. Of course it was all Dundee's fault, having won 7-1 at Tynecastle earlier in the season, that's what really messed up Hearts' goal average.

On 09/10/2018 at 22:38, ancientnoise said:

Must have been a thing. Killie had red numbers on their shirts in the 60's.  I think we even had red socks for a bit late 50's - early 60's.

I'm sure Kilmarnock wore red socks more recently. 

I seem to remember McCoist scoring a hatrick against someone for Kilmarnock and getting back in the Scotland squad as a result.  It maybe wasn't a regular thing, but I swear they were wearing red socks with the blue and white striped shirt at the time.

26 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

No, they only needed to not lose 2-0, due to the vagaries of goal average, a 4-2, 3-1, 5-3 etc defeat would have given Hearts the title. Of course it was all Dundee's fault, having won 7-1 at Tynecastle earlier in the season, that's what really messed up Hearts' goal average.

That's totally an unreal set of circumstances and a result that'd probably have folk calling fix these days! 

Just did some googling and looks like Killie won the title by 0.042 of a goal! Killie scored in 27 and 29 minutes and Hearts hit the post in the first minute then missed a great chance near the end. 61 minutes to play knowing you just simply couldn't let a goal in as there was no comeback at all. Now that's what you call pressure. What a result.

58 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Dundee love pumping the Hearts out of title wins. I look forward to getting our second 3 points of the season against them this season then.

41 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I seem to remember McCoist scoring a hatrick against someone for Kilmarnock and getting back in the Scotland squad as a result.  It maybe wasn't a regular thing, but I swear they were wearing red socks with the blue and white striped shirt at the time.

1998/99, and the opposition was Hearts. 3-0 win at RP.

I think McCoist was already in the squad by that game. I feel I can remember him in the squad in an away fixture in Lithuania on my 14th birthday  (5/9/98). We drew 0-0, and I thought it'd be the worst result I'd ever see Scotland suffer...

The naivety of youth....

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

This is indeed true, in 1998-99 we did indeed have blue and white striped tops with white shorts and red socks - in my view an absolutely killer combo. Two seasons ago we played a few games with our (predominantly) blue and white faded stripes, blue shorts and red socks instead of white socks to avoid kit clashes. I remember this combination being worn against Hamilton and also at Celtic when Coulibaly scored his absolute peach.

Capture-56.png

2 hours ago, Desp said:

Just a wee bit of a kit clash in that game...

Up until the late 90's Celtic and Hibernian regularly wore their first choice kits against one another, including in several cup finals. 

Then marketing took over with 2nd and 3rd kits regularly used when there was little or no clash to get them TV exposure which in turn boosted sales, hence you have, to use numerous examples purely of Celtic, away kits being worn in recent years at St Johnstone, Aberdeen, Hearts and Dundee United amongst many others, lots of other clubs do likewise. 

On 15/10/2018 at 21:36, Jacksgranda said:

tbf - shouldn’t really begrudge Killie that title win - with them having been runners-up 4 times in the previous 5 years. Bstards

Back in my younger days Rangers FC signed Mark Walters and the Scottish press was full of comment about him being the first black player in Scottish football in modern times 

The ignorant b*****ds ignored "King" Victor Kasule who'd been playing for Albion Rovers and Meadowbank Thistle. 30 years on and the Scottish press have a more knowledgeable approach to lower division football, don't they....? 

5bc664a11ba5b_kingvic1.thumb.jpg.53776a029aa4ba8e8c080535e34e4e99.jpg

5bc664bfdaa71_kingvic2.jpg.f5492293bc0c6b48d513b98b7b1f0a5f.jpg

5bc664d75e302_kingvic3.thumb.jpg.1f4c94f88a0703eddf95768e389c1755.jpg

5bc664f52ec57_kingvic4.thumb.jpg.7964c14c93801d2c324730111be4884a.jpg