A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

1 hour ago, killiepiemuncher said:

The old Rugby Park enclosure. Great pic, had many a ‘lift over’ in my youth.

1 hour ago, The Mantis said:

Probably a Desmond in April 1970 as Johansen retired at the end of the season. 5 is Colin Jackson, or The Caramel Wafer as he was often called, because he was Gray & Dunn.

Possibly from the same match.

IMG_20181011_194138.jpg

1 hour ago, killiepiemuncher said:

Willie Jardine. I always thought Sandy was an Alexander. You learn something new everyday.

Aye apparently his running style, like running through sand. We've got his nephew Ross in goals at Whitehill.

2 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Possibly from the same match.

IMG_20181011_194138.jpg

Looks a bit like Ibrox to me. John Arthur never played in the Desmond either according to the team list.

Edit - I'm going for a 3-3 draw in September 68 at Ibrox. Arthur played, so did McLaughlan, and Jardine used to play up front when he started at Rangers. Also Roger Hynd is the other player, don't think he got many games.

Edited by The Mantis

1 hour ago, Zen Archer said:

IIRC in the days before squad numbers pish and after subs were introduced Celtic were one of the few clubs to have a Number 13 jersey. Most teams were superstitious, having 12 and 14 as the subs jerseys. 

14 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Aye apparently his running style, like running through sand. We've got his nephew Ross in goals at Whitehill.

Looks a bit like Ibrox to me. John Arthur never played in the Desmond either according to the team list.

Edit - I'm going for a 3-3 draw in September 68 at Ibrox. Arthur played, so did McLaughlan, and Jardine used to play up front when he started at Rangers. Also Roger Hynd is the other player, don't think he got many games.

Defo not RP.

Following on from the Australia v Scotland picture , we drew 0-0 in Melbourne in December 1985 after a 2-0 first leg win at Hampden in the play off tie for the 1986 World Cup, I remember well badgering my mum incessantly to let me stay off school to watch the match which kicked off at 8.00am our time, the game was shown live on Channel 4 bizarrely, the first ever live football they showed.

Attached pictures show David Speedie and Frank Mcavennie  in action as they get in each others way to contrive to miss an open goal and skipper Graeme Souness doing the pre match pleasantries while an extremely crabbit referee looks on.

Df0bGrHXcAAy5TD.jpg

IMG_20181013_080001.jpg

Edited by Flybhoy