A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

7 hours ago, Lurkst said:

Any idea when the benches were put in? I went to a game there in 1989 but I'm sure I was standing.  My memory may not be right though...

According to Wiki it was 1982 as it was cheaper than replacing the crush barriers. I certainly remember it being popular with the young crew before that, think people called it the cave.

13 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Hearts v Celtic 1966, overcrowding leads to fans taking to the track and pitch, a common sight back then when 'pack them in' was the attitude with no regard to comfort or safety. 

FB_IMG_1538840694149.jpg

This is the 3-3 draw in the Scottish Cup 1/4 final. Att 46965. Stein in the foreground by the looks of it.

16 hours ago, ah-dee said:
16 hours ago, Flybhoy said:
Celtic, other than in European ties where it was mandatory never wore numbers on the shirts, only on the shorts for precisely this reason until, if memory serves me correctly the mid 90's. 
Pretty sure the season we used Hampden, 94-95 was the first season we wore numbers on the back of the shirts. 

you got any idea about killie etc having red numbers? have that at the back of my mind but not sure

Dunfermline had red numbers back in the 1960s.

7 hours ago, Lurkst said:

Any idea when the benches were put in? I went to a game there in 1989 but I'm sure I was standing.  My memory may not be right though...

I was in that stand for a Scottish Cup tie in 1982, and it was definitely bench seating as in that photo.

2 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I was in that stand for a Scottish Cup tie in 1982, and it was definitely bench seating as in that photo.

Cheers. Nearly 30 years ago so no surprise my memory is rosy.

I do recall it was a howling 0-0 with Dundee Utd though.

A Dundee team photo from probably mid 60's. It's a reserve squad, possibly before a pre-season trial game. Interesting thing is the strip as I can't recall ever seeing the first team wearing it. Very young george Stewart and Stevie Murray. Only other players that ring a bell are Alex Totten, Bobby Waddell, Doug Houston and if it is Hugh Tinney then this is eother the end of 64/65 season or just before the start of the 65/66 season. 
7P7L4uw.jpg&key=d2eb68583f0fa46ca406fc9cfd5568b3217a97c41f9f47e69a5b22a639f51910

Terry Christie

7 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Terry Christie played for Dondeh in the early 1960s. About the same time as wee Craigie Broon IIRC 

8 hours ago, H Wragg said:

Yep, looks like him.

Thanks for that. I couldn't recall him as being with Dundee.

1995/96 Stenhousemuir win what was the Scottish Challenge Cp even though it was made of glass held by a duffle coated one time Dundee non-first team player. The goalie on loan from Hearts. the garish shirt probably blinding a DAB in the penalty shoot-out.

Image result for terry christie meadowbank thistle

2 minutes ago, Eednud said:

1995/96 Stenhousemuir win what was the Scottish Challenge Cp even though it was made of glass held by a duffle coated one time Dundee non-first team player. The goalie on loan from Hearts. the garish shirt probably blinding a DAB in the penalty shoot-out.

Image result for terry christie meadowbank thistle

Beat Stirling Albion 2-1 in the semi-final, a game I was at where the Albion absolutely battered Stenhousmuir but were denied by a brilliant goalkeeping display by Roddy McKenzie. 

On 07/10/2018 at 00:48, Lurkst said:

I’d say the benches went in around about 1972. Hibs then charged extra to sit there. Also meant there was no cover on the terracing. And yes it does rain occasionally in Edinburgh.

A few clubs went through the benches phase partially in the years following of the Ibrox disaster. Always struck as cheap and cheerful way to get round elf and safety and charge you an extra 50p for the privilege.