A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

3 hours ago, Chicken Wing said:
5 hours ago, Flybhoy said:
Celtic captain for the day, in the absence of the injured Billy McNeil, Tommy Gemmell shakes hands with Rangers counterpart John Greig before the new year fixture at Ibrox in 1971. A day and match that was to have tragic consequences with the loss of 66 lives on stairway 13 after the game. 
IMG_20181006_051539.jpg.25649af57f388bf8e71235e72bf44ad1.jpg

It's intriguing me that there is no number on the back of the shirt but on the back of the shorts instead. What's the reasoning behind this?

3 hours ago, ah-dee said:
3 hours ago, Chicken Wing said:
It's intriguing me that there is no number on the back of the shirt but on the back of the shorts instead. What's the reasoning behind this?

sure it was purely because of the hoops stopping the number standing out. i know thats why the celtic european shirts have a solid white back

Celtic, other than in European ties where it was mandatory never wore numbers on the shirts, only on the shorts for precisely this reason until, if memory serves me correctly the mid 90's. 

Pretty sure the season we used Hampden, 94-95 was the first season we wore numbers on the back of the shirts. 

Celtic, other than in European ties where it was mandatory never wore numbers on the shirts, only on the shorts for precisely this reason until, if memory serves me correctly the mid 90's. 
Pretty sure the season we used Hampden, 94-95 was the first season we wore numbers on the back of the shirts. 
you got any idea about killie etc having red numbers? have that at the back of my mind but not sure

My first memory of seeing Kilmarnock was them playing Stirling Albion in the old second division, the third and bottom tier in 1990 and recall the red numbers on the back then worn by the likes of Ray Montgomery and Willie Watters, the latter went on to be a bit of legend in the mid 90's at Stirling. 

Pretty sure i've seen YouTube footage of Killie from the early 80's with the red numbers on the back at that point too.

2 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Hearts v Celtic 1966, overcrowding leads to fans taking to the track and pitch, a common sight back then when 'pack them in' was the attitude with no regard to comfort or safety. 

FB_IMG_1538840694149.jpg

If only Celtic had won the ballot to play at Murrayfield

A 2-2 draw at Celtic Park, all the goals in the first half, against Ajax left the Hoops with a mountain to climb in 1982 but, managed a famous 2-1 win in the return, here pictured in the home leg are, left to right, Soren Lerby, David Moyes, Tommy Burns,  Johan Cruyff and Gerard Vanenberg.

Shown here are the black numbers, discussed earlier on the back of the shirts Celtic had to wear in European ties but didn't so in domestic matches till the mid 90's 

FB_IMG_1538863261425.jpg

A couple for the Hibs boys on here,  Pat Stanton lifts the 1973 Drybrough Cup and then manager  Alex Miller with skipper Murdo McLeod back at Easter Road in 1991 after the LeagueCup final when, bizarrely for a spell you got two trophies for winning it, the original one and a strange looking long tanker from sponsors and brewers of really pish lager Skol. That stuff was worse than McEwans and that's saying something.....

3610442126.jpg

A3029106-13A8-4D51-A03C-2AA251FFD994-713-0000008261030F77.jpeg

The old 'Cowshed' at Easter Road, a bizarre stand comprising of benches, mostly uncovered that was normally sparsely populated in its days in the 80's and 90's, similar to the one at Dens Park from that era. Not a popular concept for a stand, most fans gave it a wide berth and stood or sat elsewhere. 

IMG_20181002_164333.jpg

A Dundee team photo from probably mid 60's. It's a reserve squad, possibly before a pre-season trial game. Interesting thing is the strip as I can't recall ever seeing the first team wearing it. Very young george Stewart and Stevie Murray. Only other players that ring a bell are Alex Totten, Bobby Waddell, Doug Houston and if it is Hugh Tinney then this is eother the end of 64/65 season or just before the start of the 65/66 season. 

Image result for blether with brown

1 hour ago, Flybhoy said:

The old 'Cowshed' at Easter Road, a bizarre stand comprising of benches, mostly uncovered that was normally sparsely populated in its days in the 80's and 90's, similar to the one at Dens Park from that era. Not a popular concept for a stand, most fans gave it a wide berth and stood or sat elsewhere. 

IMG_20181002_164333.jpg

Any idea when the benches were put in? I went to a game there in 1989 but I'm sure I was standing.  My memory may not be right though...