A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

26 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

Even more impressive. Maybe some coaches came up from Ayr to support their Ayrshire neighbours .

In those days there probably was an element of that.   Maybe not coaches but many people would just pick a game they fancied watching and the Scottish Cup was an especially big draw for many supportersin those days. 

One of my grandfathers just chose a game he fancied to go to on a Saturday, including junior matches - he didn't support a specific team.  Fortunately my father made the right choice or I could have been a yahoo. 

Edited by paul wright scores

1 hour ago, paul wright scores said:

In those days there probably was an element of that.   Maybe not coaches but many people would just pick a game they fancied watching and the Scottish Cup was an especially big draw for many supportersin those days. 

One of my grandfathers just chose a game he fancied to go to on a Saturday, including junior matches - he didn't support a specific team.  Fortunately my father made the right choice or I could have been a yahoo. 

A yahoo ? Is that what supporters of Ayr, Ayr Super-Ayr get called ? 

Was looking back at Scotland's 1998 qualifying stuff and the fact that David Hoppy Hopkin scored a couple at Pittodrie in the penultimate game, a 4-1 trouncing of Belarus.  A photo from this game is below.

Image result for david hopkin v belarus

More interestingly, there is a further Scottish Football/Hollywood actor connection here in the fact that the guy on the right with the light blue shirt and blond hair is undoubtedly Stephen McKidd.  Stephen I believe,  at some point in his younger days signed for Motherwell (or had a trial with them) and is the big brother of actor Kevin McKidd.  

9 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Was looking back at Scotland's 1998 qualifying stuff and the fact that David Hoppy Hopkin scored a couple at Pittodrie in the penultimate game, a 4-1 trouncing of Belarus.  A photo from this game is below.

Image result for david hopkin v belarus

More interestingly, there is a further Scottish Football/Hollywood actor connection here in the fact that the guy on the right with the light blue shirt and blond hair is undoubtedly Stephen McKidd.  Stephen I believe,  at some point in his younger days signed for Motherwell (or had a trial with them) and is the big brother of actor Kevin McKidd.  

second from the left of Number 7 , wearing red, is a young Joachim Low!

On 03/07/2018 at 00:45, The Nightfly said:

Davie Cooper scoring a great individual goal in the 1979 Drybrough Cup Final.2709385.main_image.thumb.jpg.0159e2fb87414b9b596a80c2714d3fba.jpg

Think that’s the Scottish Cup Final that season. Rangers never had a special badge for the Drybrough Cup game. Also it looks like the wrong end for Cooper’s goal. I was there, but couldn’t have told you the admission prices - the Celtic wiki has a photo of a ticket showing £2 :lol: happy days.

4 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Think that’s the Scottish Cup Final that season. Rangers never had a special badge for the Drybrough Cup game. Also it looks like the wrong end for Cooper’s goal. I was there, but couldn’t have told you the admission prices - the Celtic wiki has a photo of a ticket showing £2 :lol: happy days.

Correct,  that's the 1980 Hampden Riot Part 1 final (part 2 was 2016)

Unsure how many Rangers players were viciously assaulted after that game.

Thanks for posting.

There's an old German guy, must be mid 70s, who accompanies me and another (Scottish mother / German father) guy to the occasional away (and also home game).

He lives in Gifhorn, which is in between Wolfsburg & Hannover. He was at this game and a couple of years later the company (Volkswagen supplier) he was working for had a tie-up with a Scottish company, who had sent over some employees. Somehow he ended up going to a couple of Scotland away games and has continued since then.

Says he could never be @rsed with the German national team and also the glory-hunting aspect.

7 hours ago, Eednud said:

A moving photographic piece of Scottish football history. The sadly departed Alan Gilzean scores 2 goals in the 2nd half to draw 2-2 with West Germany in Hannover, May 1964.

1:35 and what did you do in the war, granddad....? 

Spoiler

5b43dc3a0b63e_basilfawlty.jpg.baad3ed3d7c2929ff4e9e6b49fb33f4c.jpg