A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

31 minutes ago, underboyleheating said:

I watched that game live on the telly and couldn’t believe Dixie’s penalty, he was one of my heroes when he played for Motherwell and I was gutted when he missed.

You sure that game was on live TV?

I remember the Rangers v Bayern game was live on TV the same night - amazing that 2 semi-finals were played at the same time in the same city.   Police Scotland wouldn't allow it nowadays. 

Was it not the case they went over to Parkhead after the Rangers game had finished?   

If I remember correctly II think the ball reached Ibrox when it finally landed.

57 minutes ago, paul wright scores said:

I’m sure it was as I have a distinct memory of seeing Dixie miss the penalty live on the telly. Off course childhood memory is not reliable and it may have just been highlights.  I would love to know either way.

1 hour ago, paul wright scores said:

Was that the game you beat them at Tynecastle which allowed Killie to get promoted instead of Hearts?

It may well have been, we had a great team at that time and Davie Hay was pivotal in our 1st division title win. If he hadn’t left for America he potentially could have been one of our greatest ever managers. 

18 minutes ago, underboyleheating said:

I’m sure it was as I have a distinct memory of seeing Dixie miss the penalty live on the telly. Off course childhood memory is not reliable and it may have just been highlights.  I would love to know either way.

I remember for a few years after that, kids playing football all called blootering the ball wildly over the bar as "doing a Dixie Deans"

Must have been an unbeleivable time to be a Celtic supporter though - not only winning the European Cup but getting to a final and a semi a few years later.

5 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

I remember for a few years after that, kids playing football all called blootering the ball wildly over the bar as "doing a Dixie Deans"

Must have been an unbeleivable time to be a Celtic supporter though - not only winning the European Cup but getting to a final and a semi a few years later.

I supported Motherwell, however, I had so much respect for Dixie as a player. I felt for him when he missed that penalty in such a dramatic fashion as you would have bet your life on him scoring.

4 minutes ago, underboyleheating said:

It may well have been, we had a great team at that time and Davie Hay was pivotal in our 1st division title win. If he hadn’t left for America he potentially could have been one of our greatest ever managers. 

F me. So not only has somebody dredged up a photo of the last day league-decider loss to Killie, but also a last day promotion decider loss to 'Well ! Cheers guys. Give me a shout after the obligatory last day Dens Park league loss pics  and the New Years day 73 pics have had an airing.

2 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

F me. So not only has somebody dredged up a photo of the last day league-decider loss to Killie, but also a last day promotion decider loss to 'Well ! Cheers guys. Give me a shout after the obligatory last day Dens Park league loss pics  and the New Years day 73 pics have had an airing.

I know how you feel. Just don’t show me Donald Fords last minute winner against us in the Texaco Cup Semi Final at Fir Park. It still hurts to this day. I met him years later and he was a really nice guy, I even mentioned to him how much he hurt me as a kid that fateful night sadly he was only doing what he was paid to do, score goals. 

9 hours ago, paul wright scores said:

I remember the Rangers v Bayern game was live on TV the same night - amazing that 2 semi-finals were played at the same time in the same city.   Police Scotland wouldn't allow it nowadays. 

Was it not the case they went over to Parkhead after the Rangers game had finished?   

If I remember correctly II think the ball reached Ibrox when it finally landed.

From that days Evening Times.

ET_Apr_1972.PNG

3 hours ago, German Jag said:

Was there a broadcasting rights restriction that got in the way of televising the whole of Celtic’s more important European Cup game, as opposed to Rangers’ Cup Winners Cup game ? Or did STV have first choice and it just reflected their management’s preference or their perception of the bigger potential audience ?

Was there a broadcasting rights restriction that got in the way of televising the whole of Celtic’s more important European Cup game, as opposed to Rangers’ Cup Winners Cup game ? Or did STV have first choice and it just reflected their management’s preference or their perception of the bigger potential audience ?
I don't know why Rangers were on STV etc but I'd imagine the 9 o'clock news could not be moves for anything.

On 6/29/2018 at 19:30, Young gun said:

Look at the crowds January 1950

E4AE321E-D8A2-4FE6-BD0E-9242504B46AE.jpeg

Spectacular crowds at Killie and Kirkcaldy with 1/3 and 1/5 of the towns' populations turning out. There really wasn't much else, apart from the pictures or the boozer, to do in those days. Interesting that a Hibs team in the middle of winning 3 league titles still only got a crowd 2/3 of Hearts. Always the wee team.

1 hour ago, Pet Jeden said:

Spectacular crowds at Killie and Kirkcaldy with 1/3 and 1/5 of the towns' populations turning out. There really wasn't much else, apart from the pictures or the boozer, to do in those days. Interesting that a Hibs team in the middle of winning 3 league titles still only got a crowd 2/3 of Hearts. Always the wee team.

Kilmarnock never had a population of 66,000 to my knowledge.  probably maximum of 45,000 around 1950.  Fantastic turnout though. 

1 hour ago, paul wright scores said:

Kilmarnock never had a population of 66,000 to my knowledge.  probably maximum of 45,000 around 1950.  Fantastic turnout though. 

Even more impressive. Maybe some coaches came up from Ayr to support their Ayrshire neighbours .