A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

46 minutes ago, Daydream said:

Great photo that. I’m assuming it’s Cathkin Park but it looks a lot like Dens.

Very astute of you to correctly assume a picture on the Cathkin Park Ltd Twitter page is a picture of Cathkin Park.

Tommy Gemmell's late goal at Rugby Park, Kilmarnock seals 4 in a row in 1969.

And Celtic celebrate the opening goal in a 3-1 win v Dukla Prague in the EC semi 1st leg in 1967. Pictured left to right are Chalmers, goalscorer Wallace, Murdoch, possibly Tommy Gemmell in the distance and Bertie Auld. 

IMG_20180414_004151.jpg

IMG_20180412_092522.jpg

Edited by Flybhoy

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/04/2018 at 01:45, Eednud said:

Two redheads in action at Hampden.  This pic is from a question about Alan Ball in The Tully's Blether with Brown section.  Anyone know which year this was as Johnstone and Ball played a Hampden in the 1966 (3-4), 1970 (0-0) and 1972 (0-1) games.

5abe4a0fe8b43-480x372.jpg

I was at both the 1970 and 1972 matches, and based soley on Alan Ball’s hair and  sidelappers, pretty sure it’s 1972.

Edit- just checked on You Tube and I’m wrong, it’s 1970.

Edited by kingjoey

6 hours ago, Merkie84 said:

I had no idea this game took place.

When was it?

LOVE this thread!

May 1971

46 minutes ago, Shaggy Jenkins said:

Was that not for the opening of their floodlights or something?  I may be talking pish.....

I've no idea, tbh, there's almost nothing about the match anywhere. I know Gordon Whitelaw got our goal, and we went 1-0 up, but that's it. 

17 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

May 1971

I've no idea, tbh, there's almost nothing about the match anywhere. I know Gordon Whitelaw got our goal, and we went 1-0 up, but that's it. 

Real Madrid asked for the friendly as preparation for the upcoming Cup Winner's Cup Final against Chelsea to give them a flavour of British opposition. The watching Chelsea manager wasn't impressed by Real, though Chelsea struggled to win the final – it went to a replay.

Screen Shot 2018-04-24 at 07.51.24.png

38 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

Real Madrid asked for the friendly as preparation for the upcoming Cup Winner's Cup Final against Chelsea to give them a flavour of British opposition. The watching Chelsea manager wasn't impressed by Real, though Chelsea struggled to win the final – it went to a replay.

Screen Shot 2018-04-24 at 07.51.24.png

Saints hadn't played for a couple of weeks and lost a couple of late goals as they tired. 

39 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Listing the away team first is a bit naff.

Seemed to be the standard way of doing things. Presumably because the away team were the selling point in local posters, programmes etc at a time when attendances were more variable. See also this poster advertising a game at Muirton against Third Lanark

Certainly had changed by the 1970s.

Edited by Mr Heliums