A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

1 minute ago, Jason King said:

...and Fleck didn't sign for Chelsea until 1992  but why let facts get in the way of a good meltdown. Fleck also had a fairly successful overall career in England, whilst Robertson shat the bed when faced with a higher level of football and couldn't get back up the road to the lesser leagues quick enough. 

Robertson played alongside Mirandinha in a Newcastle team that also had Dave Beasant in goal- apparently Beasant used to resort to Wimbledon's tactics of launching the ball up the field where it sailed magnificently over the heads of the two short-arsed strikers..

1 hour ago, tamthebam said:

Robertson played alongside Mirandinha in a Newcastle team that also had Dave Beasant in goal- apparently Beasant used to resort to Wimbledon's tactics of launching the ball up the field where it sailed magnificently over the heads of the two short-arsed strikers..

Robertson was shunted out to the wing for the majority of his short time at Newcastle. A baffling decision.

On this day in 1963 Dundee beat Anderlecht 2-1 (6-2 on aggregate) to progress to the European Cup Semi-Final. Anderlecht had knocked out Real Madrid. IMG_0455.thumb.jpg.21f706530eda7661ea54dafd1d65598f.jpg

Still a record attendance for the Heysel Stadium in Brussels !!

Peter Latchford takes a cross ball with Dave McPherson, Ted McMinn and Paul McGugan nearby during a reserve game at Ibrox in 1985......the crowd for a RESERVE game.. !!!

The fixture between the first teams at Celtic Park that afternoon was postponed, hence the large crowd.

IMG_20180313_215556.jpg

1 hour ago, Daydream said:

Still a record attendance for the Heysel Stadium in Brussels !!

Film of that First leg game still exists but doesn't seem to be any for the 2-1 return at Dens. 

Edited by Eednud

9 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Not 100% sure, just read the story on the excellent Celtic Wiki 

From the same source. First defeat of the European Cup winning season on Hogmanay 1966 and later in the season United  did the double over Celtic with another 3-2 win.

1967 Dundee Utd 3-2 Celtic

16 hours ago, Jason King said:

...and Fleck didn't sign for Chelsea until 1992  but why let facts get in the way of a good meltdown. Fleck also had a fairly successful overall career in England, whilst Robertson shat the bed when faced with a higher level of football and couldn't get back up the road to the lesser leagues quick enough. 

Never really shat the bed though. Willie McFaul tried to play him as a number 10.

20 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Why was it postponed? Weather looks decent enough.

Saturday 30th March 1985 got hit by torrential rain.

Of full 19-game league program only Aberdeen, Ayr, Hamilton and QotS survived plus reserve league OF derby (was it hastily arranged?).

EDIT: Rearrangement on Wednesday 1st May ended 1-1 (despite Rangers having 9-men), confirming Aberdeen as champions, and was followed by the "Battle of Janefield Street" rioting and mounted police charges.

GW951H665

GW978H637

Edited by HibeeJibee

On 3/13/2018 at 12:48, Flybhoy said:

Jimmy Bone  , who comes from the same Stirlingshire village as me, Fallin, holds the Anglo Scottish Cup, won by St Mirren in 1979 against Bristol City, the only Scottish club to win it in its short existence. 

FB_IMG_1520931896522.jpg

I was at that game as I watched a lot of St Mirren home games at that time, as well as many Killie ones.  The final was actually in April 1980 and was a repeat of the 1977/78 final.

I think Tony Fitzpatrick played in both finals but for different teams, losing both times.

On 14/03/2018 at 05:32, LincolnHearts said:

Never really shat the bed though. Willie McFaul tried to play him as a number 10.

I watched that team during my first year as a student in Newcastle.

They'd spent big that summer and were hopeless.  McFaul didn't last long and the season ended in relegation.  It was a shame that Robertson wound up back so soon though.

27 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I watched that team during my first year as a student in Newcastle.

They'd spent big that summer and were hopeless.  McFaul didn't last long and the season ended in relegation.  It was a shame that Robertson wound up back so soon though.

Really hoped he was going to do well, but never had a prayer in the position he was played. Can remember crying with joy when it was announced that he was coming back to Hearts :wub:

3 minutes ago, LincolnHearts said:

Really hoped he was going to do well, but never had a prayer in the position he was played. Can remember crying with joy when it was announced that he was coming back to Hearts :wub:

It wasn't a bad 3 months.  Signed Robbo and Tosh McK in December for a combined total of 1million then beat Bayern in the Feb.

Oh but for those days to return.

1 minute ago, Tynieness said:

It wasn't a bad 3 months.  Signed Robbo and Tosh McK in December for a combined total of 1million then beat Bayern in the Feb.

Oh but for those days to return.

Don't think we'll see the likes again.