A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

18 hours ago, tamthebam said:

5a9b3bc086d74_oldmeadowbank2.jpg.5a5d9274e2927647d8dcc9075416a252.jpg

5a9b3d0e83767_oldmeadowbank.jpg.a29b811f0a1e84603917f0aadd57861d.jpg

Never seen photos of Old Meadowbank Tam, cheers. My uncle took me there one Saturday morning to pick up his boots and we had a wee kick about on the park. Was maybe about 1968 so he might have played for Leith among his many clubs.

On 02/03/2018 at 16:06, Flybhoy said:

The legendary Tommy Gemmell passed away a year ago today, here he is, sometime in the 1960's removing a can of beer that a patron of the jungle sportingly offered to the referee, so impressed he no doubt was with the whistler's performance. 

IMG_20180302_160321.jpg

My uncle mentioned above was a good mate of Tommy Gemmell after they met on holiday in Spain. Sadly he dropped dead 30 years ago on xmas day at the age of 46 so he was about the same age.

5 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Never seen photos of Old Meadowbank Tam, cheers. My uncle took me there one Saturday morning to pick up his boots and we had a wee kick about on the park. Was maybe about 1968 so he might have played for Leith among his many clubs.

My uncle mentioned above was a good mate of Tommy Gemmell after they met on holiday in Spain. Sadly he dropped dead 30 years ago on xmas day at the age of 46 so he was about the same age.

Jim Gardiner is the man to ask about Leith Ath, Mantis- he seems to have good knowledge and is on Twitter.  Oor ain Alick was going to write a history 30 years ago and never got round to it, alas. 

A last minute header from Billy McNeil saw Celtic beat Vojvodina Novi Sad of the former Yugoslavia on this day in 1967 to book a place in the European Cup semi-final, any excuse to show this belter of a picture, Celtic in an all green away strip despite being at home. 

IMG_20180308_160322.jpg

Always annoys me to see players wearing opposition colours at a trophy presentation after swapping shirts with opponents, get your swap done after the pictures with the trophy, this Scotland team with the 1985 Rous Cup after Richard Gough's header had beaten England 1-0 at Hampden on a typically pishing with rain May afternoon in Glasgow just doesnt look right. 

IMG_20180304_212011.jpg

Jock Stein shares a word with Neville Southall after persuading the Scotland fans to return the footballs kicked into the crowd during the pre match warm up at that tragic game v Wales at Ninian Park in 1985, Stein tragically passed away at the conclusion of the match.

IMG_20180306_225720.jpg

On 27/02/2018 at 21:46, stuthejag said:

Partick Thistle v Abereen, Premier League, Nov 1992

v Aberdeen (H) Nov 1992.jpg

The game featuring the legendary “Firhill Broom”. 

The game started with no snow anywhere, but heavy snowfall during the first half necessitated the intervention of the ground staff to clear the lines at half time. It appeared that there was only one brush available for this task and the head kept falling off the handle at regular intervals causing much hilarity and embarrassment. The referee finally decided to abandon the game during the second half when an Aberdeen player picked up the ball to take a throw-in and was penalised for handball as the linesman decided it hadn’t gone out of play. 

The rapid exit from the shed following the abandonment turned what snow had fallen into hard packed ice and there was much slipping and sliding on the way out. 

After 25 years, I have managed to wipe the memory of the replayed match completely. 

On 3/4/2018 at 18:40, The Mantis said:

I've seen the bottom one before but never the top one good picture. The old Meadowbank was long before my time.

Celtic panini stickers page from 1984.

Always annoyed then as a kid that players of English side were a full sticker and Scottish players were a half sticker each, symptomatic of the apathy we were and are treated with in footballing and political terms by the English. 

Some quality players in that set mixed with some utter shite.

IMG_20180308_224518.jpg

Always annoyed then as a kid that players of English side were a full sticker and Scottish players were a half sticker each, symptomatic of the apathy we were and are treated with in footballing and political terms by the English. 
IMG_20180308_224518.thumb.jpg.7512b2dbb4aca7128fcf996679f9d01e.jpg

Got, got, need, need, got, swap ye two for the badge!

Just now, 8MileBU said:

Got, got, need, need, got, swap ye two for the badge!

Back then that was the only reason for going to school, to swap your doublers in the playground. 

Amazing how, at about 8 years old you could instantly tell within a split second if you had or needed a certain sticker out of five hundred odd !!!

13 hours ago, Funky Nosejob said:

I have managed to wipe the memory of the replayed match completely. 

My memory of that game is that I stayed in the ground to the final whistle just in case we scored 8 in the last minute.

4 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

IMG_20180308_224518.jpg

Mark Reid is my aunts brother.

One of many decent players to come from Saltcoats!

Bobby Lennox, Roy Aitken, Mark Reid, Ray Montgomerie to name but 4!

34 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Mark Reid is my aunts brother.

One of many decent players to come from Saltcoats!

Bobby Lennox, Roy Aitken, Mark Reid, Ray Montgomerie to name but 4!

Scored a few vital penalty kicks, excellent record from the spot. Ended up at Charlton did he not?

Back then that was the only reason for going to school, to swap your doublers in the playground. 
Amazing how, at about 8 years old you could instantly tell within a split second if you had or needed a certain sticker out of five hundred odd !!!

I also remember the aching jealousy towards whoever completed the album first cos it was usually the c**t whose parents bought them stickers the most. Was probably too young to get what a ‘spoilt wee c**t’ was in the playgrounds of the 80’s.