A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

30 minutes ago, Tynieness said:

Outsranding.

Incidentally I have a faint recollection of watching their Cup Winners Cup victory on holiday in Spain as an eight year old.

There was a pretty strong sentiment among Evertonians that they 'should have' been playing Celtic instead of the pantomime villains of Rapid Vienna. 

Some derby action from years gone by, Tommy Coyne celebrates a goal v Rangers (deceased) in 1991 as a mulleted Ally McCoist looks utterly spewing, and Pat Stanton in action v Hearts at Tynecastle for Hibs sometime in the 1970's, unsure of the Jambos in the picture, that appears to be the end which now is the Roseburn stand in the background as you can the school for the deaf buildings in the distance which are still there to this day.

IMG_20180226_192105.jpg

IMG_20180226_192323.jpg

Guest Moomintroll
There was a pretty strong sentiment among Evertonians that they 'should have' been playing Celtic instead of the pantomime villains of Rapid Vienna. 

They should have been, the irony aside, it was a prime example of uefa siding against a british club to benefit a central european team. The blatant lies and changes of their story should have got it thrown out but was an example of how corrupt that association was at the time. That said Everton would have beaten Celtic just as easily as they beat Rapid in the final.

14 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Some derby action from years gone by, Tommy Coyne celebrates a goal v Rangers (deceased) in 1991 as a mulleted Ally McCoist looks utterly spewing, and Pat Stanton in action v Hearts at Tynecastle for Hibs sometime in the 1970's, unsure of the Jambos in the picture, that appears to be the end which now is the Roseburn stand in the background as you can the school for the deaf buildings in the distance which are still there to this day.

IMG_20180226_192105.jpg

IMG_20180226_192323.jpg

Hearts players are Rab Prentice and Jimmy Cant (yes he can!)  with the School End in the background now known as the Roseburn.

On 2/23/2018 at 14:54, Flybhoy said:

Alex McLeish jumps for a header with England's Luther Blisset in a 1-1 draw from 1984. Jim Bett looks on, couldnt find no team line ups but based on the mullett I suspect the number four for Scotland is Arthur Albiston, then of Man Utd.

Check out the size of the Hampden crowd !

IMG_20180223_122523.jpg

http://www.londonhearts.com/scotland/games/19840526.html

Full details of the match here, click on the link.

No4 for Scotland John Wark, No2 and No5 for  England are Mick Duxbury and Gream Roberts as already stated.

Edited by jamtart1972

The legendary Tommy Gemmell passed away a year ago today, here he is, sometime in the 1960's removing a can of beer that a patron of the jungle sportingly offered to the referee, so impressed he no doubt was with the whistler's performance. 

IMG_20180302_160321.jpg

2 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

The legendary Tommy Gemmell passed away a year ago today, here he is, sometime in the 1960's removing a can of beer that a patron of the jungle sportingly offered to the referee, so impressed he no doubt was with the whistler's performance. 

Pheeeeew. MAGEE'S ALIVE! I was wondering if the Beast from the East had claimed another victim as it's been 4 days since you posted another page from your Celtic scrapbooks but all's obviously well. 

33 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

Pheeeeew. MAGEE'S ALIVE! I was wondering if the Beast from the East had claimed another victim as it's been 4 days since you posted another page from your Celtic scrapbooks but all's obviously well. 

received_1723244954372754.gif

IMG_20180302_160321.thumb.jpg.0268a8830a53b5aeca65914c34ec2f3e.jpg

Interesting that they didn’t wear shin guards yet I thought they were standard by the 60s (or at least recommended) - love the picture!

19 hours ago, boulderdomb said:

Interesting that they didn’t wear shin guards yet I thought they were standard by the 60s (or at least recommended) - love the picture!

I think they became compulsory in the 1970's  when Tam Forsyth started playing for Rangers  !!

Edited by Flybhoy

25 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The Joe Jordan picture at the bottom is from much later.

Aye, cheers. Grabbed the first image then nipped back in for an edit without really looking.

Old Meadowbank, former home of Leith Athletic, c 60 years ago. The stand came from St Bernard's Gymnasium ground. Note the tower on the right of the stand.

5a9b3bc086d74_oldmeadowbank2.jpg.5a5d9274e2927647d8dcc9075416a252.jpg

meadsno5.thumb.jpg.be201b3df0ec3f760edae32e8b8b1554.jpg

I took this photo today. Roughly the same position as the top photo. The tower on the right of the blocks of flats is the same tower as in the above pic. Soon to be b*****ding yuppie flats. The reformed Leith Athletic of the East of Scotland League played on the 3G pitch behind the fence in recent years. 

5a9b3d0e83767_oldmeadowbank.jpg.a29b811f0a1e84603917f0aadd57861d.jpg