A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

1 minute ago, LincolnHearts said:

Just found it from the 84/85 season. Biggest shock of the night (apart from our #9 being Whittaker) was Celtic winning with an injury time goal.

Credit: London Hearts.

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/images/1985/1985032001.htm

I thought the numbers on the back of Hearts players back then designated in what order they were going to try and break your leg. 

Doing a quick search for Whittaker and being disappointed he didn't have a mullet after all, these piccies popped up...
Image result for brian whittaker footballerImage result for brian whittaker footballer

What was it with Thistle going through a blue shorts phase? There's a definite Accies different strip suppliers look to it.

ETA - Actually the hoops in the socks are black. It really does look like an entirely uncoordinated load of kit's been thrown together at the last minutes because their real one got knicked.

Edited by 7-2

Just now, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

I thought the numbers on the back of Hearts players back then designated in what order they were going to try and break your leg. 

Don't be silly, it was how many times we were allowed to racially abuse them in that game.

1 minute ago, 7-2 said:

Doing a quick search for Whittaker and being disappointed he didn't have a mullet after all, these piccies popped up...
Image result for brian whittaker footballerImage result for brian whittaker footballer

What was it with Thistle going through a blue shorts phase? There's a definite Accies different strip suppliers look to it.

What a badge though. Hopefully one of the Jags lads will let us know what the blue shorts were about.

Hopefully it was to annoy their near neighbours.

On 15/02/2018 at 08:16, jupe1407 said:

There's no doubt Dundee coped badly with the re-organisation of the leagues from 75-76. I think going into the last day's fixture Dundee, Dundee United and Aberdeen could all have been relegated. Not sure what Aberdeen's result was, but United produced a shock 2-1 win at Ibrox to stay up. Back in August, Dundee Wilson Hoggan had scored the first goal of the season and new set up. 

Dundee's problems boiled down to boardroom and dressing room politics in the early 70s. Jim McLean had been an integral part of Dundee's late 60s and early 70s success, but was controversially overlooked for the Manager's job when it came up. I think Davie White got it instead, McLean went to United, and although White won the League Cup the decline would set in pretty quickly. Following the win in 1973, a few of the players went to McLean's house to celebrate, White took it as a personal slight, and within 2-3 years, all the players involved had been punted, including the prolific Jocky Scott. 

Dundee's problems since then have largely been down to boardroom fuckwittery. The Gellatly's were tight arses, Angus Cook was both mental and a crook, Ron Dixon was bonkers and lost interest, The Marrs' business planning was fucking nuts, Calum Melville was a fantasist, we had the fans running it for a while before handing over control to Nelms etc. Indeed, our current board are probably the most stable we've had since the early 80s. 

It was Bobby Ford that scored the first goal of the new Premier League after a couple of minutes. I was actually at that match.

2 hours ago, kingjoey said:

It was Bobby Ford that scored the first goal of the new Premier League after a couple of minutes. I was actually at that match.

In 1998 Whitehill Welfare had scooshed the East of Scotland League (as they did in those days) and were resting players ahead of a midweek cup final. This led to 50 year old Whitehill manager Mike Lawson and 48 year old assistant manager  Bobby Ford taking to the field against Edinburgh City- they didn't disgrace themselves although City won 3-1. 

3 hours ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

I'm sure I've read (probably on here) that the reason behind Motherwell's choice of colours was to avoid the need for an away strip. Cheap b*****ds. 

Also, I never realised BBC snooker presenter Rob Walker was that old. Or played professional football.

Image result for rob walker bbc presenter

Uncanny.

"In 1886 two local teams Glencairn FC and Alpha joined forces to form Motherwell F.C. The new team played in blue until in 1913 the famous claret and amber colours were worn for the first time. It is thought that they were chosen to mark out the team as distinct from the many other Scottish clubs who wore blue and were taken from the colours of Bradford City who had won the F.A. Cup in 1911. City’s colours came from their rugby playing predecessors Manningham FC who switched codes to play Association Football in 1903. Manningham had played in claret and amber hoops since the 1880s and may have taken their colours from the colours of The Prince of Wales’ Own West Yorkshire Regiment (who fought against the Jacobites in the 1715 rising and at the Battles of Falkirk and Culloden in 1745...). A more romantic explanation for the adoption of the colours was that these were the racing colours of local landowner Baron Hamilton of Dalzell but the Bradford City connection seems more likely."

from some twat's article* in an Edinburgh City v Motherwell programme.

Motherwell effectivly stole their colours from egg chasers! 

(*the twat being me!)

5a8778263ec74_camvstar13May20152.thumb.jpg.2812dfde9cb61c7eb337540dfad81fb6.jpg

Camelon v Newtongrange Star, May 2015. Referee Lorraine Clark and Assistants Hayley Irvine and Kylie McMullan take to the field. I believe this was the first time a men's match in Scotland had all-women officials. 

Lorraine Clark has refereed in SPFL Division 2 this season and Kylie McMullen is a regular Assistant Referee in the Premier Division. 

That's brilliantly delusional. Why didn't Dalglish take the job at Snake Mountain....

He did, he was ‘international talent scout’. Think his only major signing was Seb Rozental, who was not on the list, but he left to manage Newcastle. ☹️

12 hours ago, tamthebam said:

5a8778263ec74_camvstar13May20152.thumb.jpg.2812dfde9cb61c7eb337540dfad81fb6.jpg

Camelon v Newtongrange Star, May 2015. Referee Lorraine Clark and Assistants Hayley Irvine and Kylie McMullan take to the field. I believe this was the first time a men's match in Scotland had all-women officials. 

Lorraine Clark has refereed in SPFL Division 2 this season and Kylie McMullen is a regular Assistant Referee in the Premier Division. 

Wid×3