A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

The Pars resolve to win the league in memory of Norrie McCathie. The first game after his death is a hugely emotionally charged affair at East End against Clydebank (so charged that my dad wouldn't take me, making this one of only 2 home games I missed that season, the other being a 3-0 pumping of St Johnstone). Craig Robertson takes over the captaincy, a role no one wanted as it was impossible to follow. In my view Robertson remains a legend and easily makes it in to my all time Pars XI

5a76736ccae05_C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_SavedImages_2013_08_30_13_46_27_0249.thumb.jpg.da242b077cf650d4aa2e1146af6cd26f.jpg

Should add that we went 3-0 up in this game, only for Clydebank to make it 3-3. By all accounts the team were just mentally exhausted and looked dead on their feet. However Robertson fired in a long range winner, sparking emotional scenes from the home fans.

Edited by DA Baracus

Pars play Dundee United at Tannadice in the penultimate game of season 95/96. United are top of the league and if they win this game they will win the league. Every single national newspaper except 1 say United will win this game and the league. They have a squad that should stroll this league which includes Steven Pressley, Christian Dailly, Maurice Malpas, David Hannah, Ray McKinnon, Blily McKinlay, Andy McLaren, Owen Coyle, Gary McSwiggan, Robbie Winters and Craig Brewster. Tannadice is sold out. If I had a time machine then this is the very first place I'd go.

5a76744ede68b_C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_SavedImages_imagesQAHKB9W6.jpg.ad8efc8e66a05e28ff41a68a3ea7d077.jpg

Edited by DA Baracus

Stewart Petrie's goal gives the Pars a famous 0-1 win at Tannadice and the Pars go top of the league with 1 game to go. Pars are at home to a horrendously scummy Airdrie side whilst Dundee United go to Cappielow to play 3rd placed Morton. Should we lose and United win then United would win the league. However Morton could finish second should they beat United and therefore take the playoff place. A draw would see United finish 2nd and take the playoff place.

Kick off at East End is delayed to let in the crowds. Eventually a crowd of circa 16k jammed in to see us kick off about 10 minutes later than the game in Greenock.

I was at this game and it remains my favourite ever Pars game. Andy Smith (legend) makes it 1-0 in the first half with a header at the back post from a free kick. Peter Hetherston makes it 1-1 in the second half.

Alan Moore is put through one on one with Andy Rhodes who brings him down. Penalty! Mark McCulloch steps up and...SCORES! Pars go 2-1 up.

Soon after news comes through from Cappielow. The game is over, even though there's still 10 minutes to go at East End. Morton have held United to a 2-2 draw. This result means Pars win the league. The emotion is incredible. A long hard season sees us lift the title and tears are all around the ground as its widely acknowledged that we 'did it for Norrie'.

5a767953ac998_C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_SavedImages_imagesW1ITNJBF.jpg.1976f320cccb536039dd2b7403f4af8c.jpg

This is a rare 1909 pic of St Johnstone's Recreation Grounds, their home pre-Muirton Park, showing the terracing behind the goal as well as one stand. The pitch is flooded – an occurrence of such regularity that it prompted the move to Muirton.

recreation-grounds.png

Cracking image from the Anfield Road end at Liverpool of Don Masson scoring THAT penalty v Wales that took Scotland to Argentina 78 that they are still spewing about over 40 years later.

Good job we didnt get another dodgy one in 1985 to take us instead of them to the play off tie v Australia for Mexico 86, although that one is overshadowed by the tragic and very public death of Jock Stein at the conclusion of the match.

FB_IMG_1517623620853.jpg

Here is Davie Cooper scoring the penalty at Cardiff in 1985, another dubious handball, I remember Neville Southall getting two hands to it but squirming through. Jim Leighton had to be subbed at HT for Alan Rough as the Aberdeen keeper lost a contact lense and was struggling to see properly. My abiding memory is of Alex Ferguson, Graeme Souness and Ernie Walker in tears on the Scotland team bus after Jock Stein's tragic death.

100985-world-cup-qualifier-wales-v-scotland-ninian-park-davie-cooper-BJKYEN.jpg

100985-world-cup-qualifier-wales-v-scotland-ninian-park-davie-cooper-BJKY0B.jpg

1 hour ago, Mr Heliums said:

This is a rare 1909 pic of St Johnstone's Recreation Grounds, their home pre-Muirton Park, showing the terracing behind the goal as well as one stand. The pitch is flooded – an occurrence of such regularity that it prompted the move to Muirton.

recreation-grounds.png

Where was it? On the North Inch or further up the river?