A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

31 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

I know he played for Falkirk, but it was well before my time.

What type of player was Fergie? (No obvious "dirty bassa" comments please)

Surely not just an elbows everywhere, rumble 'em up sort. Could he actually play? Who in modern times would he be similar to?

Before my time when he played for Ayr too, but there is cracking YouTube footage of him scoring against Motherwell where you get the idea of what kind of player he was.

Beyond my technical abilities to post a link though.:(

Edited by paulbrucerick

Frank Mcavennie scores his only goal for Scotland against Australia in a 2-0 play off win that took us to the Mexico 86 world cup.

Frank got four, yes FOUR caps for Scotland because Andy Roxburgh didnt like his attitude and lifestyle, same reason players like Charlie Nicholas and him barely featured under him.

A criminal under use of talent, if only we had more like them today we might make the odd tournament. 

55871270.jpg

Celtic fans giving not a f**k about health and safety at the 1985 Scottish Cup final v Dundee Utd.

I was at this game as a nine year old, my dad drove through after reading in that mornings paper the terracing was pay at the gate..  on cup final day !!

My abiding memory is of being terrified of the congestion inside but moreso, outside, the turnstiles back then were at the top of the stairs behind that goal at Hampden and it was dangerously overcrowded at said turnstiles, an Ibrox/Hillsborough style disaster could so easily have occured there that day or any other with such a huge crowd.

Saw little of Celtic's 2-1 win bar Davie Provans free kick as I was sitting on my 18 year old brothers shoulders at that point.

12122a97bb0888159f0e6bffe8580fb4.jpg

1 hour ago, Flybhoy said:

Celtic fans giving not a f**k about health and safety at the 1985 Scottish Cup final v Dundee Utd.

I was at this game as a nine year old, my dad drove through after reading in that mornings paper the terracing was pay at the gate..  on cup final day !!

My abiding memory is of being terrified of the congestion inside but moreso, outside, the turnstiles back then were at the top of the stairs behind that goal at Hampden and it was dangerously overcrowded at said turnstiles, an Ibrox/Hillsborough style disaster could so easily have occured there that day or any other with such a huge crowd.

Saw little of Celtic's 2-1 win bar Davie Provans free kick as I was sitting on my 18 year old brothers shoulders at that point.

12122a97bb0888159f0e6bffe8580fb4.jpg

My dad did the same thing. We didn't support either team, just went because we could. Wasn't  it the hundredth cup final?

Being in the losing end set the tone for the rest of my football suppoting life.

12 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

The Welsh are still raging at Joe Jordan for this over 40 years later... 8)

My dad was at Anfield that night, said we outnumbered the Wales support five to one.

Any older posters know why the Welsh FA switched what was there home tie?

Scotland-V-Wales-World-Cup-qualifying-match-1977.jpg

_38332905_jordan_fist_150.jpg

The game was moved there for financial reasons.

Wales played home games then at Ninian Park in Cardiff, or at Wrexham.  Anfield was much bigger and could yield more income.  It effectively sacrificed home advantage though which was criminal really, given what was riding on the game.

The Welsh FA was heavily criticised for the decision and it wasn't repeated eight years later in similar circumstances for the game which also turned on a controversial Scotland penalty for handball, and finished with Stein's death.

12 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Frank Mcavennie scores his only goal for Scotland against Australia in a 2-0 play off win that took us to the Mexico 86 world cup.

Frank got four, yes FOUR caps for Scotland because Andy Roxburgh didn't like his attitude and lifestyle, same reason players like Charlie Nicholas and him barely featured under him.

A criminal under use of talent, if only we had more like them today we might make the odd tournament. 

And both him and Brown  played that muppet Aitken in most games.  

That was one of the reasons I stopped going to Scotland games for a number of years as they weren't playing the best players.  (Sounds a bit like someone else who left the Scotland manager roles recently)

Celtic's Brian McClair wheels away in delight after scoring v Rangers in 1986, some quality mullets from him and goalkeeper Nicky Walker and a quite outstanding perm from a seated and dejected Dave McPherson. 
FB_IMG_1516541556816.thumb.jpg.ce360fd383b77b6d763c57c279768982.jpg

Brian McClair, the pioneer of ‘doing it for club but not for country’, as was imitated in years to come by Paul McStay, Barry Ferguson and Scott Brown.

CDAE1C04-513D-49B0-80F4-9FABD892698A.thumb.jpeg.194ce71bc34025a32b1e7aa8acf41d65.jpeg
Bobby Murdoch and Alex Rae lead out their teams for the League Cup Final on 23rd October 1971. Despite being written off by just about everybody outside of Firhill, Thistle would go on to create the biggest ever upset in Scottish Football history. Certainly for a cup final by winning 4-1. (4-0 ht ). 
At that game as a 16 year old with broken ankle in plaster (played for St Andrews Swifts U/21s)In foyer after game was asked for my autograph, thought I was a player(how wrong!!)

IMG_0512.jpg

Tickets they printed for a league play off in the season Celtic went to Seville and there was a possibility both teams could finish with identical pts, goals etc. Don’t think anyone knew of these plans but what a game that would’ve been. An old mate found a stack of them in a garage he was clearing out.

Interesting to see they planned to play it in the midweek after the Scottish Cup Final, during the international release period and only 3 days before Scotland v Germany, and not between the SPL finishing and the Scottish Cup Final.

Echoes of Gordon Smith's ide of putting 2008's Scottish Cup Final v QotS back to a Wednesday night to help Rangers out of their backlog.