the party's at your patch, so suck it up

I think the closest we've had was playing Partick Thistle the week after they'd won the league in 2013. We were also in party mode after our great relegation escape after being rock bottom and adrift at Christmas and we played out a fairly entertaining 0-0 draw. There was a brilliant atmosphere at the Rock that day and the player of the year do that evening was one of the best I've attended.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A friend of mine (Dundee United fan) saw all three domestic trophies being lifted in 2007/08, none of which were by the team he was supporting.

He was at Hampden for United's League Cup Final defeat to Rangers, Tannadice as Celtic won the league, and as a Dundonian-exile who has spent most of his life in Dumfries he was in the Queens end with me as Rangers beat us in the Scottish Cup Final.

Cant think of an opposition title party at Palmerston. I think both Montrose and maybe Clyde won promotion here in the 80's / early 90's though.

We were at TFS when Falkirk were presented with the League more than a decade ago.

We were at Easter Road last season when Hibs formally clinched the title. Loved the 'Sunshine on Leith' stuff.

We have won the League for other teams a few times by taking points off someone else on the day but thats 100% opposite to what was asked!

Dunfermline won the Championship at Scapa a few years back on a glorious sunny day. My dad and I got to the pub and were the only ones who hadn’t heard that the Norseman would be full of Pars fans, so we did a quick about turn and headed into town instead.

Pars won 2-0, we applauded their fans amid their pitch invasion and some old boy with no shirt on walked the length of the Cowshed applauding our fans too. Even our tannoy announcer, after asking fans to clear the pitch so their team could come back out and see them, congratulated them on winning the league.

We have what must be a unique stat of our own as the league title was clinched at Broadwood 3 seasons in a row in recent years. 2014 Peterhead, 2015 Albion Rovers and 2016 East Fife.

They didn't clinch the title mathematically but ICTs 2-1 win at Broadwood the penultimate week of season 03/04 season put them a point ahead of us with 1 game left. Really difficult one to take. Final day saw them beat St J 3-1 and us beat Brechin 5-2 so the title was theirs. 

Could be wrong but I think Stirling both won the title and confirmed our relegation from league one at Broadwood with a 2-1 win in 09/10. 

Not at home ground but I was at New Douglas Park in 07/08 when Accies beat us 2-0 to clinch the title for them.

Basically if you can clinch the league title then Clyde are who you want to be playing.

20 minutes ago, C. Muir said:

Basically if you can clinch the league title then Clyde are who you want to be playing.

Queen of the South have won three League titles in their history: 1951, 2002 & 2013. All three of them were mathematically clinched at Forfar. The last of those was away to Brechin but their pitch was long term unplayable so it was moved to our lucky ground. We were 5-0 up at half time !

3 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

A friend of mine (Dundee United fan) saw all three domestic trophies being lifted in 2007/08, none of which were by the team he was supporting.

He was at Hampden for United's League Cup Final defeat to Rangers, Tannadice as Celtic won the league, and as a Dundonian-exile who has spent most of his life in Dumfries he was in the Queens end with me as Rangers beat us in the Scottish Cup Final.

Was he at falkirk last week??

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Cant think of an opposition title party at Palmerston. I think both Montrose and maybe Clyde won promotion here in the 80's / early 90's though.

We were at TFS when Falkirk were presented with the League more than a decade ago.

We were at Easter Road last season when Hibs formally clinched the title. Loved the 'Sunshine on Leith' stuff.

We have won the League for other teams a few times by taking points off someone else on the day but thats 100% opposite to what was asked!

Hearts clinched the league at Tynecastle against us as well iirc.

2 hours ago, AyrshireTon said:

Dunfermline won the Championship at Scapa a few years back on a glorious sunny day. My dad and I got to the pub and were the only ones who hadn’t heard that the Norseman would be full of Pars fans, so we did a quick about turn and headed into town instead.

Pars won 2-0, we applauded their fans amid their pitch invasion and some old boy with no shirt on walked the length of the Cowshed applauding our fans too. Even our tannoy announcer, after asking fans to clear the pitch so their team could come back out and see them, congratulated them on winning the league.

David Graham scored a peach of a second goal in front of the away fans that day. Was delighted when he signed for us, what a disappointment that turned out to be.

David Graham scored a peach of a second goal in front of the away fans that day.

It was going about 3 foot wide before the wind blew it in. There seemed a delay in celebrating it, tho it is possible the amount of beer drunk before hand had something to do with that.

Possibly the drunkest St.Mirren away support I’ve been part of. Everyone chanting for a sixth when we were 0-5 down was quite surreal.
Brill pitch invasion afterwards, then met the whole team getting chips and a carry out in Aviemore on the way home.
I was absolutely buckled by the time we got back to Paisley but still managed Borgia for a few hours 
I was steamboats. Came on the bus after being in the ICT club and noticed a mate standing at the back of the terracing. Ran towards the big wall behind the goals to jump up and shake his had. Before I knew it, I was pulled up and in the game for most. Best bit was I had all the money and the Mrs was stuck outside saying " that big shites away in there with all the dough, me er even looked back"
Luckily one of my mates paid her in[emoji16][emoji16]
Brilliant day

10 hours ago, parsforlife said:

It was going about 3 foot wide before the wind blew it in. There seemed a delay in celebrating it, tho it is possible the amount of beer drunk before hand had something to do with that.

The wind blew it in? You've completely made that up.

Still, glorious day

On 12/01/2018 at 18:43, A Livi Fan said:

Might be wrong but i am pretty sure that Livi have never had to suffer that (post 95 anyway)

Thought Celtic won it at our ground the same year we went down from the SPL. Think it was almost a certainty before they came though so most of the celebrations had happened the week before as the second place side had a significant goal deficit. I could be wrong but I think that was the game we were definitely down (with Celtic legend Lambert as our manager and Flynn as owner/shyster) it was a very bizarre time.

On 13/01/2018 at 08:02, palmy_cammy said:

that’s a sore one! you’ve got to feel for the guy,.. with his luck presumably he missed the 2010 cup final too.

16 minutes ago, JakeSAFC said:

We won the league at Brechin that season.

Fair enough. I just remember quite #scenes when you scored your winning goal that night then at full time. Must've just got you closer to the line.

Archived