the party's at your patch, so suck it up

Just been killing time & looking ahead at the fixture list - and wondering if I'll have to watch St Mirren win the league at TFS at the end of April.  It reminded me that Partick celebrated winning the Championship at TFS in 12/13  (with Balatoni, Muirhead, Welsh & Craigen all present, co-incidentally), and eons before that (1974) Celtic won the league at Brockville (1-1, when the Celtic fans bent the Hope St crossbar).   

Anyone else had to suffer watching the opposition's title party at their place? 

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Completely wrong forum for me , but Rangers came to win the league at Stark's, only for us to ruin the party. Morton won the league at Stark's a few years ago actually, and it was a cracking day for everyone. One of few times I've been to a game where every fan left happy (they lost but won the league, and we qualified for the playoffs).

Saw Celtic win the League at Love Street in 1985/86. Hardly anyone has spoken about that game since :1eye

Also saw Partick Thistle clinch the first division title at Love Street with a 2-0 win.

The latter was more bearable than the former.

8 minutes ago, rw89 said:

Morton won the league at Stark's a few years ago actually, and it was a cracking day for everyone. One of few times I've been to a game where every fan left happy (they lost but won the league, and we qualified for the playoffs).

That was a cracking day. Showing my (lack of) age a bit, but came home with Bobby Linn's shirt that day, number 15, still in the attic somewhere. Some boy.

33 minutes ago, rw89 said:

Completely wrong forum for me , but Rangers came to win the league at Stark's, only for us to ruin the party. Morton won the league at Stark's a few years ago actually, and it was a cracking day for everyone. One of few times I've been to a game where every fan left happy (they lost but won the league, and we qualified for the playoffs).

Love the non-bias commentary there.

1 hour ago, rw89 said:

Awesome. Pars fans couldn't have asked for a better result. 

Credit where it's due though, Rovers obviously had a great game that day. 

A Sunday game at East End. The final match in front of the terracing. Celtic turned up needing a win to clinch the title. All was going well for them until Craig Faulconbridge (on loan from Coventry) popped up to cause Charlie Nic to quite literally piss and cry into the microphone. Archie McPherson was loving it. Finished 1-1.  

Seeing Cowdenbeath with the League One playoff final at East End was less amusing.

1 hour ago, Div said:

Saw Celtic win the League at Love Street in 1985/86. Hardly anyone has spoken about that game since :1eye

Also saw Partick Thistle clinch the first division title at Love Street with a 2-0 win.

Was with two Celtic work mate's for that my brother in law was there with us also can you imagine Div. 

3 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

A Sunday game at East End. The final match in front of the terracing. Celtic turned up needing a win to clinch the title. All was going well for them until Craig Faulconbridge (on loan from Coventry) popped up to cause Charlie Nic to quite literally piss and cry into the microphone. Archie McPherson was loving it. Finished 1-1.  

Seeing Cowdenbeath with the League One playoff final at East End was less amusing.

ecstasy  and agony all in one post. I don't know if I'm going to laugh or cry. 

1 hour ago, Div said:

Interestingly, Thistle raised the 2nd division winners flag against us at Firhill that season in the first game, then went on to win the first division at love street. 

Might be a quite unique statistic that. 

25 minutes ago, P475 said:

ecstasy  and agony all in one post. I don't know if I'm going to laugh or cry. 

I’d been at the Saints v Utd cup final the day before that Cowden game then partied back in Edinburgh. Hell of a comedown for everyone the next day as we trooped over to East End for that shitfest.

Livingston won the First Division at our ground in 2001.

Both St Mirren (2000) and Partick Thistle (2002) has their final game of title winning seasons at our ground, we won both 5-0 and 3-0.

4 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Both St Mirren (2000) and Partick Thistle (2002) has their final game of title winning seasons at our ground, we won both 5-0 and 3-0.

Our players had been pished since the previous Saturday when we beat Raith Rovers to win the title.:lol: 

16 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Was at that game.  No St. Boo that day, St.Mirren fans were singing, " we want six!" :lol:

14 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Our players had been pished since the previous Saturday when we beat Raith Rovers to win the title.:lol: 

Possibly the drunkest St.Mirren away support I’ve been part of. Everyone chanting for a sixth when we were 0-5 down was quite surreal.

Brill pitch invasion afterwards, then met the whole team getting chips and a carry out in Aviemore on the way home.

I was absolutely buckled by the time we got back to Paisley but still managed Borgia for a few hours 

45 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I'd say that the away supporters were a mangled mess but the players were even more drunk than us. I found a bra on the park that day during the post match pitch invasion and decided it would be a good idea to wear it on my head. 

For a few years it felt like all Rangers and Celtic did was win the league at our place. It was shit.

The team formerly known as Glasgow Rangers won 9-in-a-row at Tannadice. A horrible night, made worse by the bizarre decision, if I remember correctly, to open the turnstiles to allow Rangers fans in to the George Fox stand at the end of the game. Certainly felt like there were hundreds of them that seemed to appear after the final whistle. 

Archived