Edinburgh City v Montrose

I've got stuff on this Saturday so chances are I won't make it. City seemed to have improved recently with a couple of decent additions to their squad and good results recently so this will be a tough game as opposed to the first meeting at Ainslie Park.

It will be interesting to gauge recent improvements against playing one of the better teams in the League. 14-1 for City to win 2-0 is almost tempting mind you...  I don't suppose Monty Mole will be playing in goal?

2 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I don't suppose Monty Mole will be playing in goal?

Err, no. I don't expect a high scoring game though so 2-0 either way doesn't look a tempting flutter to me. Think it will be tight and despite league positions it could go either way.

On the balance of play (and chances) we deserved a point, having said that we could also have lost 0-5 after losing the heid completely when Montrose went 1 up.

Thought the first goal was a foul, the second was a remarkably stupid dive from Harrison when he could easily have cleared it, stonewall penalty and a cracking save from Antell who has been our player of the year by an absolute mile.

Was at the other end for the El Alagui red but the linesman who was right there never flagged and I think everyone was surprised to see him get his second yellow. Despite that he's killed our chances of a point by getting sent off for moaning and blocking a kick out, no really what you want from your experienced striker.

Montrose are a good team, that's why they're currently top of the league....

So they didn't need all the help they got from the clueless referee and linesman!

City played well and matched a top side, only to get done by a number of very poor decisions from the officials!!!

On any other day we would have got at least a point out of that game!

Good 3 points today for Montrose.Bolo was immense today at the back with a well taking goal after a good swivel to to shield his body and poke home the first goal,strolled it back into the team again today and was my MOTM.Good finish from Lewis Milne aswell and great to see him hit the ground running with another goal.Watson penalty was pretty poor should have buried that and been 3-0 at half time.City were decent in spells and were probably on the wrong side of a few decisions from the ref today.A massive 3 points in the bag again today which is what we wanted.....Up next the famous bully wee...

Agree City are a much better side than when we last played them and should be Ok this season. However they must convert their chances and keep their shape and discipline - both went down the swanny in the second half. Montrose didn't look to be set up right for my liking and we were lucky to be 2-0 up at half time even missed a penalty as well. Second half the Mo had a very raggy spell, City lost their shape and it was a relief when it all ended to be quite honest. A win's a win though and I think City will have a better second half of the season if they take their chances, keep their shape and start believing in themselves

Went along to this, both teams looked alright. Montrose didn’t do much but were pretty solid as a unit despite a few individual mistakes letting in city in the first half. One really good save from the keeper as well. Didn’t get the best view of the first goal so no idea if it was a foul but looked a tidy finish. Second goal looked like a ridiculous dive by the City player, absolutely no idea what he was playing at. Stupid for El-Alagui to talk himself into a booking as well. Poor penalty from the Montrose lad (Watson?), who was also the worst player on the park. Consistently passing to opposition players and actively hindering his own teams attacks.

City should have scored a couple at the start of the second half, but the sending off (which was bizarre, all the more so that the game continued for a good 10 seconds after the ‘foul’ took place) killed it as a contest. Montrose looked comfortable without really doing much themselves going forward, could have added a couple if the decision making was better but there you go.

No idea what the quality in the rest of the league is, but both sides looked decent enough. Some horrific haircuts though, notably the Montrose keeper and City number 19. I also had no idea Chris Templeman was still playing football, he must be about 40 by now surely?

I spotted a guy in a Plastic Whistle hat so presume that must be oneteaminglasgow. Thanks for coming along, gadgie. 

I was feeling a bit down until I heard the Clyde score. Schadenfreude..

I suppose what you could say of our game is that when you're at the top you get the breaks and when you're down near the bottom you don't. Ach, hating Mo is like kicking a cuddly puppy, you can't really bring yourself to do it. Hats off to the Gable Endies fans for coming down in large numbers. The big man's chant in the first half "YOOOOUUUUU......AAARRRREEEEE....SHIIIIITTTEEEE..."
amused me. I wonder how often that has been aimed at home players at Links Park in the past!  

11 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I also had no idea Chris Templeman was still playing football, he must be about 40 by now surely?

He's 37 I think. 'Playing football' is stretching it a bit far now but credit to Sanny he is still a handful for opposition teams in L2 though mobility is not his thing nowadays. We feed him on pies and that's why the kick-off was delayed a few minutes as he was still finishing one off when coming onto the pitch.

Good 3 points but Edinburgh need to look at their catering. No mince pies left at ten to three?. Did get some more at half time but still shocking

I think it's Spartans that run the catering but aye that was an early blow right enough.

4 hours ago, watdeadlyone said:

Good 3 points but Edinburgh need to look at their catering. No mince pies left at ten to three?. Did get some more at half time but still shocking

Your lucky there was none left when we played City the one I got was blacker than the road think the lassie must have left it heating in the oven from the previous weeks Spartans  game :lol:

Funny enough never had that problem when its been an actual Spartans game at AP.

9 hours ago, watdeadlyone said:

12 hours ago, MOFOREVER said:

He's 37 I think. 'Playing football' is stretching it a bit far now but credit to Sanny he is still a handful for opposition teams in L2 though mobility is not his thing nowadays. We feed him on pies and that's why the kick-off was delayed a few minutes as he was still finishing one off when coming onto the pitch.

That answers that question then. :o

Thanks for posting. For some reason closed captioning was on when I watched and provided surreal interpretation of Edinburgh accent. Read the match report on the MFC website which corresponded quite well with the highlights, so well done to the young man for putting this together.

Seems like the Mo got out of jail a few times, when they should have been punished. Glad we were able to capitalise on the few chances we had, penalty aside.

Hopefully we can exercise more control for the entirety of the match, when Clyde come calling on Saturday.

Archived