Capital Punishment

Capital Punishment  

149 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, heedthebaa said:

There are plenty of numpties who apparently want to be “put me in a room with them for 5 minutes with a pair of pliers”  I’d like to see this happen, preferably televised 

I'm completely against torture/revenge. That doesn't strike me as very healthy but state legislated murder for those that are 'beyond the pale' should be an option. How many of those against it would want to be euthanised (not a real word) when they become a burden to their loved ones.

The "guilty confessions" thing is interesting. It seems like a surprising number of people will eventually confess to crimes they had nothing to do with after a period of standard police interrogation techniques, and that's before you get into areas like people with low IQs.

I seem to remember Netflix's series "The Confession Tapes" being worth a watch, but there's a lot of stuff out there about this phenomena. Sounds absolutely barking to think that people would confess to things like murder just because a copper said it'd all be OK, but it seemingly happens reasonably often.

2 hours ago, chomp my root said:

I think that's the wrong justification myself, a society saying that someone who commits certain crimes isn't fit to be among us is where we are at the moment, that society then says they will pay a large amount of money to keep them in confinement until they die (we're not talking about many people admittedly). Just because you have a death penalty as a form of punishment doesn't mean that it would be getting dished out willy nilly, if there's doubt then there would still be life imprisonment.  Here's a leftfield alternative, seeing as how as a nation we're comfortable with private companies being paid to look after our prisoners, why not 'outsource' it to other countries, I reckon The Philippines might be a cheaper option and willing to take our 'nawty' boys and girls. 8)

If there's doubt you shouldn't be convicted, never mind executed,

2 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

If there's doubt you shouldn't be convicted, never mind executed,

Indeed.

One of my (many) worries about post-Brexit Britain is that the nut jobs who got us in to this mess will press for policies like capital punishment and an even harsher prison regime.

1 hour ago, LincolnHearts said:

For people who have been proven beyond any doubt to have committed heinous acts (e.g your Rose Wests, Ian Bradys) then capital punishment would be acceptable.

Imagine how much cash has been spunked on these two animals alone.

It costs less to imprison for life than it does to administer the death penalty. 

1 minute ago, chomp my root said:

That's the way it works, although to be fair that's not what the 'debate' is about.

I've no idea what you mean. You said execution could only be used if there was no doubt. Are you saying that there is an option to jail someone for life if you think they might be guilty?