Capital Punishment

Capital Punishment  

149 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Do you support the use of Capital Punishment in any form? I considered adding choices such as 'Yes, but only for terrorism/serial killers' but to be honest, I think you're either For it or Against it.

This question is really driven by a disturbing number of people that feature on my Twitter and Facebook feed who just type off the cuff comments like 'should be hanged', 'bring back hanging' etc for anything ranging from cold-blooded murder to slightly rough handling of a cat. Maybe this is simply a sign that I follow too many reprobates.

Do you support the use of the death penalty? What are your reasons for/against?

No.

The whole point of the prison system is no longer simply the removal of offenders from mainstream society. The emphasis is now on the rehabilitation of offenders with a humanistic approach which recognises that human beings have the capacity to see the error of their ways and be reformed.

How can offenders be rehabilitated if they are dead? 

People have also been tried and executed in the past and later found to have been innocent all along. Why reintroduce such a flawed system of punishment when the potential consequences of "getting it wrong" are catastrophic and cannot be undone?

People who want the death penalty re-instated are invariably dribbling morons and Ones For The Watching.

I do think there are some people who are beyond rehabilitation, and probably deserve to die.

But if one innocent person is put to death (which happens fairly regularly in America) it's not worth it.

Genuinely cannot comprehend how anyone could support it, knowing it can and does lead to innocent people being put to death.

Strangely, I was thinking about this earlier today when I saw something about several back to back sentences and wondered if it was worth spending taxpayer's money on rehabilitating somebody who'll never be released. Then I considered that much of the punishment relates to having one's freedom taken away when people can live some form of life for a considerable time.

Can't say that taking somebody's life in a pain free process (where they'll feel absolutely nothing afterwards) is as 'punishing' to the criminal as keeping them alive for year upon year, actually making them 'suffer' for a considerable period of time (cue Playstation talk, but loss of one's freedom is a big thing). If anything, killing them is cruel on their innocent family members who will never see a loved one again. At least they have the knowledge that they're able to see them, albeit at restricted times. Granted that their son for example has inflicted this situation of grief upon numerous others, but why inflict this on more people than is necessary.

it should be done in a big stadium, entertainingly.

The romans had some good ideas, which we could combine with gladiators or takeshi's castle.

Wipeout over crocodiles or fighting lions while suspended by a bungee would be quality.

Ticket proceeds can be used to compensate victims.

Any offence more serious than disturbing the peace would qualify.

vote coprolite

Yes their should be Capital Punishment for certain types of crime, such as for serial killers, child killers, Police Killers, Prison Officers, where it can be proven that the killer/Killers deliberately went out of their way to kill people. 

43 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

No.

The whole point of the prison system is no longer simply the removal of offenders from mainstream society. The emphasis is now on the rehabilitation of offenders with a humanistic approach which recognises that human beings have the capacity to see the error of their ways and be reformed.

People have also been tried and executed in the past and later found to have been innocent all along. Why reintroduce such a flawed system of punishment when the potential consequences of "getting it wrong" are catastrophic and cannot be undone?

People who want the death penalty re-instated are invariably dribbling morons and Ones For The Watching.

Whilst I agree with your post completely, there are a number of prisoners within the United Kingdom (less than 100), who are serving whole life tariffs, therefore it is not an open and shut case that the emphasis has moved completely away from the removal of offenders from society.  

3 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

No.

Certainly in this country, it was all pre-DNA which has made a massive difference to solving a lot of crimes, certainly the serious ones.

I'm for it under some circumstances, there are people that we're never going to let out, serial killers, beasts etc, we're not going to 'fix' them and even if we could, they've been put away for the rest of their lives for a reason, its not just about rehabilitation, its also about protecting the rest of us and reinforcing the message of what our society deems unacceptable behaviour.