Off yer (Dumbarton)Rockers! V League Leaders

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fair play to St. Mirren. A well-deserved victory as they dominated us all over the park. Well beaten by a much better team. There's no doubt in my mind that St. Mirren will win the league. They're streets above anyone else in this division.

Morgan, Magennis and grudgingly McGinn are and were excellent, it's no wonder St. Mirren are where they are. And being able to bring on Danny Mullen (a striker every other team in the division would be happy to have) from the bench just shows how good a squad they've got.

As for the game, less said the better. We were very poor and just couldn't compete with St. Mirren. While the referee didn't have any major calls to make today, he contrived to get most wrong and most seemed to only be pernickety one way... That said, had his assistant noticed McGinn's clear kick at Dowie...

We were far too pedestrian in the midfield, Hutton and Carswell sadly having one of their poorer days against their previous employers. Morgan breezed past David Smith on any number of occasions, albeit up against it when assisted by nobody (invisible Calum Gallagher, I'm looking at you here).

Dowie (despite being in a defence that conceded twice) was excellent, the others, all really disappointing performances. Carswell's challenge on Stelios was a rare pleasing moment (he could've gone, but hey ho) but we were just brushed aside all over the park by a much better team all too often.

They'll take some catching now. And I doubt Dundee United are remotely capable of even making it interesting. Well Done Saints, enjoy your night.

30 minutes ago, cameron2000 said:

Thought we were hopeless today. I’ve seen people say they like how C Gallagher is good defensively but I’m not seeing this at all. He drops ridiculously deep and invites pressure on the whole team, forcing his teammates deeper too.

It was obvious that Gallagher had been asked to double up on Morgan every time Morgan got the ball. This was particularly evident in the first half when the score was 0-0. I don't think you can blame that on Gallagher, as I'm sure he'd have been acting on your manager's instructions.

Once we scored and you had to venture forward, Morgan had more one on one encounters with your right back and caused a lot more trouble for your defence.

1 minute ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

You'll have to collapse totally to not win the league now. United haven't gone but they're nowhere near good enough at the minute.

Still too many twists and turns ahead to call it collapse just yet. I fully expect Utd to rally but think they'll have their struggles in the next few fixtures. If we can get away from Tannadice in the same strength of position as we are today, then it's ours to feck up.

3 home league games in February though could hopefully prove crucial for us.

24 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Walsh suffered from the fact the he looked like he couldn't give a f**k last season. He rescued 2 or 3 very important points for us though so his contribution is often a bit overlooked as he was gone in the January.

Victim of timing. If he wasn't already at an appalling St Mirren when Ross arrived, then he's the type of player Ross might have brought in and made a success of.

As it was, he was probably disspirited and fed up, and was chucked out along with many others.

2 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Victim of timing. If he wasn't already at an appalling St Mirren when Ross arrived, then he's the type of player Ross might have brought in and made a success of.

As it was, he was probably disspirited and fed up, and was chucked out along with many others.

I thought at the time it would've been worth keeping Walsh. Looked like a decent player and scored a few important goals. Much better than the majority of the guys brought in alongside him.

Walsh was hit or miss. The boy has ability but as other said he often looked disinterested and didn't want to do any of the dirty work. I'm not so sure he is Ross's type of player, Ross seems to like busy players that chase and harry opponents. Walsh isn't that.

That was a weird afternoon; from hearing pre-match how DFC's owners are aiming to install us in a New Jerusalem  on the Renton Road whilst currently running the club on string and gaffer tape, to then watching another dismal home performance, it was a bit difficult to get your head round how this trot along the Yellow Brick Road will unfold.

Sticking to the football, St Mirren won in a canter but I think Sons fans need to apply a bit of perspective here.  In that funny way that football has, today was more evidence of how we don't always appreciate how important certain players are until they are posted missing.  So here are four names - Wardrop, Boomer, Froxy and Stewart; every one of them would have comfortably outperformed their deputies today.

Re the first two, not only are we missing two very solid defenders, we are also missing their ability to get up the park to start and support attacks, young Sam in particular.  Cast your mind back a few weeks and recall the much-vaunted Lewis Morgan's Lord Lucan act at Paisley.   Coincidence ?  Maybe.

And sad to say, Christian Nade's recent performances have demonstrated just how much we are missing Mark Stewart's mobility and workrate up front.  The Big Man is done at this level, by the way.  As for Froxy, whilst he blows hot and cold, two or thre moments of heat can eclipse what willing but mediocre team-mates are currently achieving.

I'd hazard the club is thoroughly skint (see first para above) right now, so we need to just battle on.  Stevie Aitken has been dealt a bum rap with so many injuries this term to decent players but that's what happens on a shoestring squad.  Pity, as we desperately need an injection of quality in central midfield, the black hole of the team.  McGinn, McShane and Magennis highlighted that today.

55 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

He and Hutton (along with a few others to be fair) turned in a pathetic performance of extreme shitebaggery in the 3-1 defeat at Morton and that was really that as far as Ross was concerned I guess. Hooked at half time and never seen again. He showed some glimpses of quality for us at times, but Smith, Magennis, Mullen and Morgan are all significant upgrades on anything Walsh was offering at the time.

5 hours ago, Dindeleux said:

So did Divs 14 year old son get in with a free U12 ticket or was no fraud committed today?

£108 well spent today.

Would pay that every week if we could win that easily. Glorious!

7 hours ago, TAMCARSON1 said:

St Mirren fans are a different breed. A few were sat in front of me today, one guy taking up two seats was listening to something on his phone, not sure what but was making a noise. I asked him to turn it down as I like to listen to players, fans etc and not his phone. They were shocked that I asked to turn it down ( not off) however he did then turn it off and his mates thought I was in the wrong.  Here’s a tip. He said he couldn’t hear it so how could I ? How about earphones next time ?

He was watching, and listening to, a horse race which was the final leg of an accumulator he had on. Had it won he stood to win over £600.

It finished 2nd...I bet you're really glad about that.

ETA...you're probably still unusually dressed for a steward.

11 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

On another note - Callum Gallagher offers us about as much as I do sitting on my arse in the stand.

don't be so hard on yourself.

it was fun watching the seethe of the former saints players in your team.:lol:

on a serious note.what does nade bring to the team?he is useless.is he on a good wage? mind you it was funny when cammy smith(?) bounced off him.

he offers you as much as I do sitting on my arse in the stand.

Busy with other stuff today/tonight, so seeing this result is just brilliant!

I’ve been to every Saint Dumbarton game over the least thee years, apart from the ones we’ve won. 

Maybe I’ll give the next one a miss too!

COYS!

don't be so hard on yourself.
it was fun watching the seethe of the former saints players in your team.[emoji38]
on a serious note.what does nade bring to the team?he is useless.is he on a good wage? mind you it was funny when cammy smith(?) bounced off him.
he offers you as much as I do sitting on my arse in the stand.

Nade has been a very good player for us over the last couple of years and is still capable of turning in a performance. Last week against Dunfermline he changed the game when he was introduced. Unfortunately it appears to be a season too far for him now and there is chat that retirement is around the corner.

I can't remember a great deal of seethe from them in all honesty other than Carswell going through Stellios.

15 hours ago, TAMCARSON1 said:

Absolute shambles today. Didn’t think St Mirren fans were willing to pay an extra £2, but they proved me wrong. We welcome the Paisley pound. 

St Mirren fans are a different breed. A few were sat in front of me today, one guy taking up two seats was listening to something on his phone, not sure what but was making a noise. I asked him to turn it down as I like to listen to players, fans etc and not his phone. They were shocked that I asked to turn it down ( not off) however he did then turn it off and his mates thought I was in the wrong.  Here’s a tip. He said he couldn’t hear it so how could I ? How about earphones next time ?

Secondly, we all no the issue with the seats today so what do the St Mirren fans do at half time, they spot empty seats in the away end and proceed towards them. So what happens when folk reappear with a pie have to do ? That’s right move to the home end. You couldn’t make it up.

If the ref sorted out McGinn then it could have been a wee bit different but by doing nothing it showed St Mirren that they could do what they want, and Stelios ....... don’t get me started.

Just saw this due to Arch Stanton's response. What an absolute minter. 

I never saw or heard the incident in question but if you're appealing for silence at a football match so you can hear players talking to each other, then you're indisputably in the wrong. :lol:

Archived