Most Galling Abandonment Ever?

HibeeJibee

There was nothing galling in terms of  scoreline when our goalless game with Dundee United was abandoned at half time last month.

Given that there was nothing remotely untoward about the conditions however, it was in fact thoroughly galling.   I'd have been seriously pissed off if I'd travelled from Dundee for the privilege.

14 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

There was nothing galling in terms of  scoreline when our goalless game with Dundee United was abandoned at half time last month.

Given that there was nothing remotely untoward about the conditions however, it was in fact thoroughly galling.   I'd have been seriously pissed off if I'd travelled from Dundee for the privilege.

I'd have thought they'd be delighted to get out of Dundee for a wee while...

I was at a Johnstone Burgh vs Carluke Rovers which was abandoned due to a waterlogged pitch after about 75 minutes back in April 2012.

Johnstone were 3-0 up and cruising against Carluke at the time and the visiting fans were absolutely delighted with the abandonment as I think a win for them would have sealed promotion.

When the game was replayed a few weeks later other teams had dropped points and Carluke were already champions. This time the match finished 1-1.

Certainly a galling abandonment for Johnstone and perhaps a couple of other teams in the league, but not Carluke!

On 1/15/2018 at 12:00, Virtual Insanity said:

We had a crucial game in our 2012/13 promotion season away to Cowdenbeath called off when 2-1 down with twenty minutes to go. We were 8 points (I think) behind Morton at that stage albeit with games in hand. Archibald had only been in the post two games, two highly unconvincing 1-0 home wins and a defeat at Central Park might have seen us drop out the title race completely. That game arguably turned our season around. Thankfully it didn't cost Cowden their place in the league (although it was close) but I've always thought that game must be pretty galling from a Morton point of view, especially as I thought at the time the visibility wasn't too bad. 

When the match was abandoned I went out on to the pitch and stood in the centre circle.  You couldn't see either of the goals and it would have been near impossible for a linesman to accurately call if a player was onside when he can't see half the pitch!

I was doing the club tweets that night and it was the first time that #Cowdenbeath was trending on Twitter.  A proud moment soured by somebody complaining to the league that I implied the referee was influenced by the Partick fans singing "we can't see the ball" :lol:

Should it not have been at least 0-2 to us, sure we had a couple of perfectly fine goals dubiously chalked off for minor infringements or did I just dream all that???

Pretty sure it was all a conspiracy by the Spanish FA who couldn't hack the fact that we were obviously going to gub them that night with or without the refs help and thus realising this somebody high up bunged the janny a few pesos to pull the plug on the lights!!!

Again I may have dreamt this part also!!!

IMG_3097.thumb.jpg.32b341d17697ff218b96267bd45af93a.jpg

Re Partick v Cowdenbeath, they were winning that league regardless. They had better players and a better manager and waltzed to the title in the end.

On the Alloa v Morton game, while it was a bullet dodged for us it was unquestionably the correct decision and the game should really have been abandoned sooner. There were stewards on the pitch sweeping the lines while the ball was in play and the snow was coming down so heavily it was obscuring them again immediately, while there'd already been two stoppages running into minutes for lines being cleared as well. There was no way that pitch was playable.

There was definitely torrential rain and an electrical storm.

EDIT:

After 59 minutes the stadium was plunged into darkness when the floodlights failed after
a lightning storm that provoked a power cut. Torrential rain followed which flooded the
ground. These events left the referee with no option but to abandon the match, after a
mandatory 15 minutes wait.

EDIT AGAIN:

Scots whistling in the dark with glee

Raul 56pen; Baraja 18og
Match abandoned after 60min, floodlight failure

Scotland's evening may have ended in farce, snuffed out after an hour by a floodlight failure, then drowned in a Spanish monsoon, but Berti Vogts will be mightily encouraged. Unfancied and braced for a battering, his team excelled here and will go into next week's World Cup qualifier with Slovenia on a high.

That the night ended with the Estadio Ciudad de Valencia stadium flooding, the fierce electrical storm having already disabled the local grid to extinguish the lights, merely added a surreal twist.

The Tartan Army, drenched but tickled by the fiasco, are used to seeing slick counter-attacks from a tactically sound side outplay a disjointed team. They are just not accustomed for Scotland to be dishing it out.

Rarely can Vogts' team have played better away from home. They adjusted swiftly to the wind - howling in off the coast and straight at their goal, bringing the fateful storm with it - and could arguably have been four up at the interval, so incisive were they on the break.

While Spain spluttered, their impetus forever fizzling out as the goalkeeper Craig Gordon hove into view, the Scots eased into a hugely deserved lead.

Carlos Puyol's scrambled clearance from Barry Ferguson's free-kick, which arced over Iker Casillas towards the empty net, proved to be a mere warning shot. The home defence was still panicked at James McFadden's resultant corner, the Evertonian's vicious centre flicking off Ruben Baraja and in.

With Raul and Fernando Morientes warming up on the touchline, Asier del Horno might have squeezed Spain level with a close-range header, but Stevie Crawford - twice released by clever Darren Fletcher touches - should have extended the Scots' lead. Casillas blocked both attempts. The Plymouth striker should not have given him the chance.

"We were so well organised," said Vogts in the sodden aftermath. "We had outstanding performances in every department. I know it was only a friendly but it will fill us with so much confidence."

Spain perked up marginally after the interval, but their equaliser came with their first genuine chance. José Antonio Reyes clipped the substitute Raul to the byline then charged on to the pull-back, only for a combination of Jackie McNamara and Andy Webster to send him sprawling. Raul tucked away the penalty - and that was it.

Spain (4-4-2): Casillas; Lopez Rekarte, Marchena (Helguera, 58), Puyol, Del Horno; Joaquin, Xabi Alonso, Baraja (Vicente, h-t), Reyes; Tamudo (Raul, h-t), Torres (Valeron, h-t).

Subs not used: Canizares, Salgado, Romero, Albelda, Morientes, Victor, Juanito.

Scotland (4-1-4-1): Gordon; G Caldwell, Webster, Mackay, Naysmith; McNamara; Fletcher (Cameron, 58), Ferguson, Quashie, McFadden (Pearson, h-t); Crawford (Miller, 58).

Subs not used: Shearer, Thompson, Dickov, McNamee, Holt, Kyle.

Booked: Naysmith, Crawford, Quashie, Webster.

Referee: S Bré (France).

8 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

On the Alloa v Morton game, while it was a bullet dodged for us it was unquestionably the correct decision and the game should really have been abandoned sooner. There were stewards on the pitch sweeping the lines while the ball was in play and the snow was coming down so heavily it was obscuring them again immediately, while there'd already been two stoppages running into minutes for lines being cleared as well. There was no way that pitch was playable.

Yeah, it really wasn't playable; it was just tremendously frustrating for us, as we were really shite that year. Also felt like we were closer to the end than 61 minutes for some reason, so folk were talking about only needing one more stoppage to clear the lines before getting to the end. That definitely wasn't the case with half an hour still to play.

Maybe the day-glo green lines we ended up using might have shown up better  :lol:

54 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Scotland (4-1-4-1): Gordon; G Caldwell, Webster, Mackay, Naysmith; McNamara; Fletcher (Cameron, 58), Ferguson, Quashie, McFadden (Pearson, h-t); Crawford (Miller, 58).

Subs not used: Shearer, Thompson, Dickov, McNamee, Holt, Kyle.

For the benefit of anyone else who is as confused as I was about who the f**k Shearer is: 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Shearer

Archived