Games of 2017

Christophe

Just came in to see if anyone had done a year end thread, and they hadn’t, so here’s my top ten....play along...

1 - Sniper Elite 4 - XBox One

2 - Destiny 2 - PS4

3 - Call of Duty WWII - PS4

4 - FIFA 18 - XBox One

5 - The Evil Within 2 - PS4

6 - The Sexy Brutale - Windows

7 - Mass Effect Andromeda - Windows

8 - Star Wars Battlefront II - XBox One

9 - Pyre - PS4

10 - Sonic Mania - PS4 

I had a few months off work with sickness so I have played more this year than I have since I was in a student flat. My top 10 of games played (not necessarily 2017 releases are):

1. Overwatch - really cleverly constructed and so addictive
2. Last of Us - a masterpiece
3. Tropico 5 - a hidden gem.
4. Sniper Elite 3
5. Metal Gear
6. GTA V
7. PES 2018
8. FIFA 17

I've only played four games this year and I don't really count FIFA and Football Manager given they're out every year and don't change that much.

So, here is the list to end all lists:

1) Resident Evil 7

2) South Park: The Fractured but Whole

Always a tough one, purely because I can never remember when games actually came out.  For anyone wanting such a list, look here

And looking at that list, it's a pretty bare one for me.  In no particular order

1) Super Mario Odyssey
2) Horizon Zero Dawn
3) FIFA 18
4) They Are Billions
5) Skyrim (switch)

That's it, I think.  FIFA likely wouldn't have made it on, but I was quite impressed by how it plays after hating the previous versions.  Horizon Zero Dawn was one I spent ages on in the first few months of the year (finishing the main quest the night before my wife and new son got home from the hospital).  The Switch has been brilliant, but haven't had it for long enough to get Breath of the Wild on (I'm sure it'd be on the list if I had).  Skyrim deserves a spot by how technically great it is running on the underpowered switch.  Odyssey is fucking brilliant.  They Are Billions isn't technically released, but for an early access game, it's really, really good too.

If we're including games that weren't released this year but I've spent the time playing, I'd probably add the Witcher 3 on top of all of them, because it continues to be the best game ever made, and I spent a few months early in the year trying to finish it one last time on new game plus before putting it away.  May end up getting back to it at some point.

First post here so hello [emoji112] [emoji3] [emoji117]

Really enjoyed Persona 5 but even 30 hours in I'm not at the halfway point so might still be chipping away in 2019. The music is a highlight for me especially the battle theme

https://www.google.co.uk/url?q=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DeFVj0Z6ahcI&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwj0-6SQwc3YAhWJI-wKHZpzAToQtwIIETAC&usg=AOvVaw2aqIaszINW3QqvTjk5ju8c

Had fun with PUBG but I've hit a wall playing solo - just too tense and stressful so its an aim to try that game multiplayer this year.

Nier Automata was pretty special but not for everyone. I had a great time with the first two thirds of Resident Evil 7 but it didn't stick the landing.

Cuphead was a surprise pickup late in the year, simple game but oozing style.

Found Destiny 2 awfully disappointing. Finished the campaign and not touched since. So much for the 10 year plan.

My top 10 games I first started playing in 2017 are (not all new games)

1. Pro Ev 2018 - very frustrating to start with and I still want to smash my Xbox up quite regularly but I cannot stop playing it.
  2. F1 2017 - I've got a steering wheel and wasted a lot of hours on this.
  3. Fortnite - Pound for pound the best game I've played this year :)
  4. Wolfenstein Old Blood - A fantastic shooter, good balance between serious/mental.
  5. Forza Horizon 3 - See F1 comments.
  6. Skyrim - Really enjoy it when I get into it because collecting/hording and building up character through XP is addictive but I can't just seem to quite get mentally addicted to it as I was for Fallout 4.
  7. Bully - Picked it up cheap on marketplace and its a tremendous game.  Would recommend to anyone.
  8. Metal Gear - Phantom Pain - After a couple of weeks I thought this would be the best game ever but it got a bit same-y.
  9. Speedrunners - A very easy pick up and play.  Have passed a lot of hours playing this online with mates.
  10. Fallout 3 - Ahhhhh it was ok but I was disappointed.  

• 3 weeks later...

Archived