Stay Classy Sinn Fein

35 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Can see why these memoirs would have to wait until after McGuinness died. You can't be done for libel where a dead man is concerned.

Unlikely he would have sued.

Gerry Adams hasn't sued despite being accused of being on the IRA's Army Council  by many.

Interesting read in today's News Letter - https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/politics/mi5-protected-martin-mcguinness-for-years-says-thatcher-s-spy-within-sinn-fein-1-9096070
Don't know how much credence you can place on the "revelations" of an agent, especially when he's promoting his memoirs, but it makes you wonder how many high ranking agents were in Sinn Fein/IRA - Carlin, Donaldson,Stakeknife - and why it took 30 years to end The Troubles.

Even if none of it is true, it’s a cracking story in a low rent John LeCarre sort of way

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-50209923

"

Ms McDonald said

"An attack on the home or property of an elected public representative is a deeply serious and sinister development. It represents an attack on the democratic system"

:lol:

9 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-50209923

"

Ms McDonald said

"An attack on the home or property of an elected public representative is a deeply serious and sinister development. It represents an attack on the democratic system"

:lol:

You think he's fair game then?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/death-threat-to-td-who-hit-out-at-far-right-ideology-959634.html

Just now, welshbairn said:

No, I just think it's hypocritical of Sinn Fein to make a song and dance about it when they were quite happy for their armed wing to not only attack politicians' homes and property but politicians themselves.

2 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

No, I just think it's hypocritical of Sinn Fein to make a song and dance about it when they were quite happy for their armed wing to not only attack politicians' homes and property but politicians themselves.

Presumably the same applies to the DUP in the North then.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The UDA - unfortunately - haven't gone away. I think what you've quoted proves that.

1 minute ago, Jacksgranda said:

I've already answered that.

It seemed to be a qualified statement.  

You will know far better than I do, but I think there are people on both sides who would be happy to use any excuse to reignite violence and the current Brexit debacle might do just that.

It’s worrying.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

It seemed to be a qualified statement.  

You will know far better than I do, but I think there are people on both sides who would be happy to use any excuse to reignite violence and the current Brexit debacle might do just that.

It’s worrying.

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

3 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Seems fairly unqualified to me.

Those who wish to use violence don't need Brexit as a reason. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-50200973 Damn all to do with Brexit. Nor this https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/call-for-more-police-patrols-in-derry-after-third-punishment-attack-in-week-38552665.html

This car arson took place in the RoI - why would anybody down there use Brexit as an excuse, there's not going to be a hard border (at least not between NI and RoI).

Are the DUP about to be handed their erse in  3/4 seats and down to about 4-5 MPs?

Lots of tactical voting going on by errmmm parties this time it seems :

Sinn Fèin will not stand for election in - North Down, East Belfast nor South Belfast

DUP won't stand in Fermanagh/West Tyrone.

SDLP won't stand North Belfast, East Belfast or North Down.

UUP won't stand in North Belfast.

North Belfast is Nigel Dodds seat - so it'll be between him and Sinn Fèin.

South Belfast will be between DUP and SDLP.

East Belfast to be won by Alliance?

Fermanagh UUP v Sinn Fèin.

And then there's Derry/Foyle, and will the SDLP win that back from Sinn Fèin?

So going from the DUP and SF plus the independent Lady Hermon in Westminister ; we could well have NI sending MPs from all four of their main parties.

6 minutes ago, Kejan said:

Are the DUP about to be handed their erse in  3/4 seats and down to about 4-5 MPs?

Lots of tactical voting going on by errmmm parties this time it seems :

Sinn Fèin will not stand for election in - North Down, East Belfast nor South Belfast

DUP won't stand in Fermanagh/West Tyrone.

SDLP won't stand North Belfast, East Belfast or North Down.

UUP won't stand in North Belfast.

North Belfast is Nigel Dodds seat - so it'll be between him and Sinn Fèin.

South Belfast will be between DUP and SDLP.

East Belfast to be won by Alliance?

Fermanagh UUP v Sinn Fèin.

And then there's Derry/Foyle, and will the SDLP win that back from Sinn Fèin?

So going from the DUP and SF plus the independent Lady Hermon in Westminister ; we could well have NI sending MPs from all four of their main parties.

At one time N Ireland along with Scotland an MP was elected and that was that until death or retirement. Now the public are lot more fluid even in N Ireland plus the young even in unionist areas are willing to give others a vote. Will take a bet the DUP will hang on for the moment in North Belfast with under 50% of the vote. Demographics will be the death of unionism, pardon the pun.

Might not change much this election, but likely the next, unless the Brexit shenanigans reignites tribal nonsense. Hopefully the majority will want a 21st century country instead the 17th.

https://sluggerotoole.com/2019/09/02/the-alliance-party-surge-could-spell-trouble-for-the-dup-at-westminster/

P.S. this is more detailed on this election.

https://sluggerotoole.com/2019/11/04/sdlps-bold-move-needs-reciprocation-if-ni-is-to-tip-the-balance-in-westminster/

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, Tutankhamen said:

At one time N Ireland along with Scotland an MP was elected and that was that until death or retirement. Now the public are lot more fluid even in N Ireland plus the young even in unionist areas are willing to give others a vote. Will take a bet the DUP will hang on for the moment in North Belfast with under 50% of the vote. Demographics will be the death of unionism, pardon the pun.

I know a couple of Northern Irish people from outside Derry and have said that even Alliance are chipping away at both 'sides' younger support and elected a Councillor on the Derry Council a while back. My pal (yes, I know, it comes with outliers, but him - from an RC/GAA/nationalist background) says more and more can identity as Irish thanks to such as the GFA and able to have to a certain extent a small northern Irish identity too. 

Again, hardly scientific but my pal did vote SF twice in 15/17 for Foyle but is switching back to the SDLP thanks to the Brexit mess, and NI being represented solely in Westminster at present by the DUP, and the SDLP will turn up. He's a soft nationalist though, and even describes himself as Northern Irish at times ; so I'm not sure if there's a bit of a swing in general, or its just folk like him.  We'll soon find out ; but the sitting out of seats by all the main parties may well cost the DUP the most.

Edited by Kejan