Stay Classy Sinn Fein

4 hours ago, NotThePars said:

What a bizarre post. It’s natural to be curious about your ancestors and it can be fun and interesting to find out what they did.

Your post is bizarre, there’s nothing “natural” about.  Some folk may be curious, others won’t be; personally I couldn’t give a flying f**k.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Your post is bizarre, there’s nothing “natural” about.  Some folk may be curious, others won’t be; personally I couldn’t give a flying f**k.

Just about every culture in the history of mankind has displayed an interest in their ancestry, it's as natural as it gets. BTW my grandad was a cobbler too, the other one was a bank manager. Both fought at Gallipoli . Mildly curious about before but probably won't bother looking into it. Agree with you in the sense of people pretending they've got better genes because of what some ancestor did, I vaguely remember reading that if you go back 6 generations there's as much genetic variation between you and anyone on the planet as you and your ancestor.

Family history research is the same as any historical research but you have somewhere to start and anchor the search and a bit more interest.

It's social history and the history of working class people as opposed to politicians and the powerful.

Granny attempting to play the edgelord and coming across as an absolute dullard.

Why are folk so obsessed with their heritage?  Does it make you a better person?

My grandfather, who died before I was born, was a cobbler.  That’s the extent of my knowledge of my heritage beyond my parents.

Good Northamptonshire links perhaps then Granny to the Scottish parentage and lineage of decent ‘shoe makers’ that still exists in that part of the world! Similar to the Scots who made their stamp on the Staffordshire Potteries, skilled and creative them all.

ETA, Surely it’s beneficial that your DNA is as mixed as possible for the whole of the Human Race to develop?

Why would anyone think that their whole blood ancestry being confined too a few thousand square miles would be a good thing?

16 minutes ago, RedRob72 said:

Good Northamptonshire links perhaps then Granny to the Scottish parentage and lineage of decent ‘shoe makers’ that still exists in that part of the world! Similar to the Scots who made their stamp on the Staffordshire Potteries, skilled and creative them all.

ETA, Surely it’s beneficial that your DNA is as mixed as possible for the whole of the Human Race to develop?

Why would anyone think that their whole blood ancestry being confined too a few thousand square miles would be a good thing?

Well,  it's literally impossible for a start.

Those ancestry DNA things are so much bullshit. They are a modern version of reading tea leaves. https://www.theguardian.com/science/commentisfree/2015/may/24/business-genetic-ancestry-charlemagne-adam-rutherford

Snake oil salesmen like Alasdair Moffat still make plenty money off selling books about it though.

21 minutes ago, RedRob72 said:

^^^genes came from Cork.

15 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Family history research is the same as any historical research but you have somewhere to start and anchor the search and a bit more interest.

It's social history and the history of working class people as opposed to politicians and the powerful.

Granny attempting to play the edgelord and coming across as an absolute dullard.

I hope you find yourself.  It’s obviously very important to you.

On 2018/02/17 at 13:24, Granny Danger said:

Why are folk so obsessed with their heritage?  Does it make you a better person?

No idea where the better person angle could possibly enter into it. Finding out whether half-forgotten stories I'd heard as a sprog were actually true was a big part of it for me and I quickly got hooked and found myself wanting to find out even more once I started finding out things I had previously been clueless about. The stories I heard stretched back to around the early 1800s given the oldest ones tended to be based on what my grandparents had remembered being told by their grandparents and for the most part what I had been told was on the money, but there were a couple of surprises on the way and the following highlights...

On 2018/02/17 at 15:04, welshbairn said:

My sister paid a couple of hundred to get my mum and dad's genes tested. I was against it in case we found out something awkward...

...why family genealogy is not something to wander into, if you are not emotionally prepared to find out that at least some of what you were told by peope you were close to was a load of lies used by one generation to cover up a secret they didn't want the next generation to know about.

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

No idea where the better person angle could possibly enter into it. Finding out whether half-forgotten stories I'd heard as a sprog were actually true was a big part of it for me and I quickly got hooked and found myself wanting to find out even more once I started finding out things I had previously been clueless about. The stories I heard stretched back to around the early 1800s given the oldest ones tended to be based on what my grandparents had remembered being told by their grandparents and for the most part what I had been told was on the money, but there were a couple of surprises on the way and the following highlights...

...why family genealogy is not something to wander into, if you are not emotionally prepared to find out that at least some of what you were told by peope you were close to was a load of lies used by one generation to cover up a secret they didn't want the next generation to know about.

I'd be curious and not too worried for myself, just concerned how older relatives would taking finding out that their mother had been playing away and their dad wasn't really their dad. Or my dad finding out about my mother after they'd been married for 60 years.

Edited by welshbairn

On 2018/02/17 at 14:03, Jacksgranda said:

...I certainly wouldn't have researched back to the 1600s...

I'd treat anything people claim to have researched further back than around 1800 in Scotland with a healthy degree of skepticism, because comprehensive birth, death, marriage and census records that are easy to follow and cross-reference only really got going in the 1850s and the old CoS parish records prior to that are not complete and often don't provide much information beyond names and a date on hatches, matches and dispatches. A lot of the old Irish civil records were destroyed in a fire in the 1920s during the civil war, so getting back much past 1850 or so reliably there is even more difficult. 

I think they target those who have been registered with the GAA do they not? Bit of a nothing article really as I could imagine him being even more pissed off if they were asking every young player going to pledge their allegiance to them. Can’t really blame anyone for wanting to play for an actual proper country.*

*Joking**

**Not really joking.

Edited by gannonball