Champions elect V Playoff chasing Ayr

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, basher brash said:

McCall is hiding behind the injury crisis in regards to recent performances, The Rovers have had one for 2 months but just got on with it and managed to grind out the results. A draw wouldn’t be a disaster but I think Ayr needs to win this one now to keep the pressure on us.

Agreed   

As said earlier we have not had a full squad since the first month of the season.

Frankly this injuries crisis stuff is becoming a bit stale, every club will have this problem....not just Ayr United, Mr McCall.

What makes it more galling is that Ayr probably have the biggest squad in the League(?)

Whilst we've, as have others, had injury problems all season, I cannot recall Barry Smith using that as an excuse.

Last season we went to Somerset WITHOUT any  Goalies (No Hart jokes please!!) and almost got a result so who knows what will happen on Saturday!!

Just, Ian McCall, stop bumpin' yer gums aboot injuries, pulleezz.

A draw wouldn’t be a disaster but I think Ayr needs to win this one now to keep the pressure on us.

Which would be good for us as that would leave plenty of gaps at the back for them if their piling players forward. The last 2 weekends have been Stranraer and Forfar. Both teams came and had a go at us which left gaps for Zanatta and Spence to run into constantly. So for that reason, I hope Ayr do come and have a go from the start.

Should be some game regardless anyway. Looking forward to it already.

13 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Which would be good for us as that would leave plenty of gaps at the back for them if their piling players forward. The last 2 weekends have been Stranraer and Forfar. Both teams came and had a go at us which left gaps for Zanatta and Spence to run into constantly. So for that reason, I hope Ayr do come and have a go from the start.

Should be some game regardless anyway. Looking forward to it already.

i think both teams will play NOT TO LOSE. theirs just too much riding on this one game as things stand right now. we win and the title is ours to lose. ayr win and they are back in front.

9 hours ago, rw89 said:

emoji23.png we've had a permanent injury crisis since the first game against Ayr at home. We've been missing our first two goalkeepers, left back, center back (captain too), along with Bobby Barr, Robbo and Davidson having niggles at different times. Scott Robertson has only played the last four or five games back in midfield which has made a huge difference.

Aye well McCall uses it as a constant excuse and eventually it wears onto the players who then just bottle it.

i think both teams will play NOT TO LOSE. theirs just too much riding on this one game as things stand right now. we win and the title is ours to lose. ayr win and they are back in front.

Ayr win and the title's still ours to lose anyway with the fact we have 2 more games to play than Ayr. That's what made yesterday's results so sweet.

6 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Ayr win and the title's still ours to lose anyway with the fact we have 2 more games to play than Ayr. That's what made yesterday's results so sweet.

Its points on the board that count. We have two games in hand over ayr, one home and one away. But no points yet from these games. That is a point you must seriously consider.

11 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

We were 6 points clear in October, and 8 points behind 2 and a bit weeks ago.

Title isn't anyone's to lose yet and Saturday won't change that. We have 3 away games in a row after Saturday.

I don't agree that a draw is no use to Ayr, not when they still have us to play at home. 

If we split the points with Ayr over these two games we would have a great chance of winning this but it won't be that straightforward. There have been two or three momentum shifts already this season so there is no reason to not expect one or two more.

9 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Going by your logic, if we win on Saturday, the title is still not ours to lose then despite you saying it would be..

I was refering to the fact that the 2 games in hand are not forgone conclusions. 4 points in front would make us very much on the front foot, but i am not assuming we will win our 2 in hand, 

47 minutes ago, Varna Rover said:

I was refering to the fact that the 2 games in hand are not forgone conclusions. 4 points in front would make us very much on the front foot, but i am not assuming we will win our 2 in hand, 

Correct. On the other hand if we cant take anything from games against depleted broke Stranraer and Albion Rovers at home we shouldnt be regarded as likely title winners.

Aye well McCall uses it as a constant excuse and eventually it wears onto the players who then just bottle it.

Perhaps if Rose, Crawford, Geggan or Docherty were available they would help stop the rest bottling it - hence the recent winning run. Injuries happen. Add Higgins, McGuffie and Gilmour into the mix and we are struggling big time.

13 minutes ago, Hursty said:

Perhaps if Rose, Crawford, Geggan or Docherty were available they would help stop the rest bottling it - hence the recent winning run. Injuries happen. Add Higgins, McGuffie and Gilmour into the mix and we are struggling big time.

McGuffie and Gilmour are away to Stranraer on loan from what i've heard.

Well i think we are embarrassed enough by the topic heading to plead our case of possible fuckedupedness as we do. I think we will beat Ayr on Saturday and with new signings (to be announced) and the return of Kyle (in the next two weeks) will give us the momentum to stretch our lead further..........you heard it all here first CMYR....

McGuffie and Gilmour are away to Stranraer on loan from what i've heard.

Heard similar, but can't see it considering Stranraer are only looking for loans that they don't pay any wages towards. Gilmour gets stick but if we had him to come in yesterday when Higgins came on i reckon we would have seen it out.

Good to see Stevie Bell joining the ranks of the Pars seaside retirment home. He was such a talent before getting crocked. Big dirty swine these days so will hopefully put a few Rovers up in the air (pretty sure he got a straight red playing for us against Raith in an evening match once). 

Mind when big Marv brutalised Bell in the playoff game against Stirling?
It's miraculous that the boy still has his legs attached, never mind being back playing.
He'll probably be traumatised. We had a pretty poor team that season but Marv utterly brutalised Bell. He won the ball, hammered Bell, and got the throw in. Stirling were going through their two seasons of glory years and their fans were greeting about Marv needing a ban, and how Bell would be out until the next season.

Bell then came back in the next leg..

Archived