Scotland Centre Backs

• 4 weeks later...

Good article on Luis Binks

It does feel a bit like I’m the Scot in Italy who no one in Scotland really knows about! Obviously, I’m English-born and that’s clearly a factor. People hear my accent and wouldn’t know that I’m eligible for Scotland but I’m Scottish as well. I hope I’ve got a chance to be involved with the national team. I definitely want it – but it’s whether Scotland wants me? My grandad Richard was Scottish, from Dunbar. I actually spoke to someone from the SFA a few months ago and told them I’d like to play for Scotland. There seems to be a perception that I have said no before but that’s not the case, I’d never say no to Scotland. If the opportunity ever came up, of course I’d want to be part of it.

I had a positive experience with Scotland when I was involved at Under-16 and Under-18 level. The group of boys I played with were great. I learned back then that the Scottish lads are so down to earth. When you go away with other countries, they can be a bit big-time. I’m not like that. I fit in with the Scottish boys a lot more than I did when I went away with England. I look at lads like Gilmour and Patterson and they’re so grounded. Obviously I know Aaron and he’s very level-headed as well. That’s why I’d like to be part of it.

From the outside, the camp looks so positive right now. I watched the win over Spain at Hampden and it was rocking that night. That definitely appeals to me, but for me to get an opportunity I know I need to do well in Italy. If I do that next season, I might get a call-up. My grandad would be so proud if I played for Scotland, as well as all his family up there. My mum – my grandad’s daughter – would take us there when we were kids to see him. She’s always tried to keep the Scottish going in me. 

I was close to Aaron when he was here. We lived literally a minute away from each other in Bologna. We used to share a room together before games, home or away. Being the same age, and coming from where we’d been, we clicked straight away. I still speak to him now and we’re quite close. With Lewis, I only had a few days with him before leaving for Como but I’ve spoken to him and he’s done so well this season. Since Thiago Motta has come in as manager, he’s playing every week and scoring in Serie A. He’s on fire.

I would tell any young player from Scotland or England that if they get the chance to move to Italy, they should go and experience it. I’ve enjoyed every minute of it at Bologna and Como. Look at Doig in Verona, he’s moved to a top league and played against all the top Italian clubs. That’s much better than going on loan to the English Championship or somewhere like that. Of course it’s a risk. I could have moved to other English clubs from Tottenham, but it was more exciting to go abroad so I took a gamble. Hopefully it’s now paying off.

Luis Binks

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/luis-binks-serie-as-forgotten-30146536?int_source=nba

Edited by 2426255

• 2 weeks later...

May have been posted elsewhere but good to hear what an influence Liam Cooper was last night to the other players 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65944846

He is a player that I suspect will never be a certain starter for Scotland but still turns up and does a shift when he needs to. Sounds like he is a positive influence behind the scenes too.

• 4 months later...

Josh Laws seems to have nailed down down a starting slot at Grasshoppers Zurich this season.

I'm sure he used to be a left back but seems to have moved into a left sided centre back position, albeit Grasshoppers seem to be struggling a bit this season so far. I recall Laws being involved in the youth squads yonks ago when at F.Dusseldorf

7 hours ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

Josh Laws seems to have nailed down down a starting slot at Grasshoppers Zurich this season.

I'm sure he used to be a left back but seems to have moved into a left sided centre back position, albeit Grasshoppers seem to be struggling a bit this season so far. I recall Laws being involved in the youth squads yonks ago when at F.Dusseldorf

Did he not switch to the Australian youth sides? Just checked - he hasn’t made it to their senior team, so he’s isn’t locked out should he ever come good.

Porteous back in the side for a good performance for Watford after losing his place which is good to see

Watford are starting to put a decent run of form together, be good to see them do well and either see porteous in the shop window for a big move or get promoted themselves. Long way to go obviously 

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Jambomo said:

Tierney is back in the squad for Sociedad. Hopefully can stay fit now.

Unfortunately staying fit and Kieran Tierney are oxymorons 

Blame the Celtic coaching staff who played him non stop through minor injury when he was there*

*according to my season ticket holding son-in-law

Edited by MarkoP