Scotland Centre Backs

2 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

Correct

I don't think it's inconceivable to think there will come a time in the near future when Tierney will be injured again. He's probably the only player in the whole team that's irreplaceable in the current system

McGinn IMO, and McGregor isn’t far off that bracket either. 

20 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

McGinn IMO, and McGregor isn’t far off that bracket either. 

I love both of those players, but if they’re not available you replace them with Armstrong/Christie and Jack/Gilmour respectively

If Tierney isn’t available the whole system falls apart and you need to go to a back four instead. 

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

You cannot realistically replace John McGinn with anyone in that system, maybe McTominay at a push.

It would be a huge drop off if McGinn was want available but I don’t think it would necessitate a system change. 

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Hanley due to have surgery on an achilles injury so must be highly doubtful for the next round of matches. 

Ruptured so will be out for several months. I watched the game on Friday and he went down with nobody near him. Looked a very bad one.

2 hours ago, NickMcG said:

He'll be 32 at the end of the year.  I wonder if it might mean the end of his international career.

I think he is still a good player for us and can continue that for a couple of years yet and although Porteous, McKenna and Hendry are all providing strong competition in that area I don't think the depth beneath that is particularly strong: Hyam, Halkett, Welsh etc. On the other hand maybe someone else would benefit from just getting a chance like Ryan Porteous did. 

image.thumb.png.294308eec37429768a4ecae1d97139b5.png

Hanley is two caps away from getting into the hall of fame so that might incentivize him to keep pushing so at this point I expect he will be back in September if he ends up missing the camp in June which looks likely.

Edited by 2426255

13 hours ago, NickMcG said:

He'll be 32 at the end of the year.  I wonder if it might mean the end of his international career.

32 isn’t old at the top level any more. 

That being said Hanley would’ve had 70+ caps by now imo if he wasn’t injured/pulled out of squads all the time. 
Some players give up international to focus on club but in his case if he’s got a chance to play international when he’s a championship player you’ve got to jump at that.

10 minutes ago, NickMcG said:

Generally, it is though. Of course it all depends on the player and their injury record.  He's also quick, which is one of the first things to go.

Yeah this is a bit of a concern with Hanley ageing/getting injured, but I don't think he's necessarily reliant on his pace so it won't be a disaster when he loses it. 

• 2 weeks later...

There's no guarantee he would've been first choice, but injuries have been a blight on McKenna's Scotland career. He's a decent enough centre-back for Scotland but just hasn't managed to gain much momentum since about 2018 due to his injuries. 

Hopefully Hendry returns soon. 

18 hours ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Forest confirm that's McKenna fractured his collarbone so that's another centre back missing Norway and Georgia in June.

18 hours ago, Donathan said:

Your CBs for June are going to be a combination of Jack Hendry, Ryan Porteous, fit again John Souttar, Liam Cooper and Dom Hyam 

There are three weeks between the end of Nottingham Forest's season (28-May) and Scotland's next round of games (17-Jun) so although it might seem unlikely just now maybe Scott McKenna can still make it into the squad. I'm not discounting him yet because we don't know how severe the fracture is or any of the detail around the injury.

Edited by 2426255

On 24/04/2023 at 15:41, accies1874 said:

There's no guarantee he would've been first choice, but injuries have been a blight on McKenna's Scotland career. He's a decent enough centre-back for Scotland but just hasn't managed to gain much momentum since about 2018 due to his injuries. 

Hopefully Hendry returns soon. 

Seems to be the case for all our centre backs. A very injury prone bunch.

Well Souttar and Porteous have both only had three caps for Scotland under Steve Clarke so I wouldn't rush to judgements either way. There was sensationalism around Souttar after Denmark and sensationalism around Porteous after Ukraine - I just ignore it.

On 24/04/2023 at 15:26, Donathan said:

McKenna out for the season with a broken collarbone

Your CBs for June are going to be a combination of Jack Hendry, Ryan Porteous, fit again John Souttar, Liam Cooper and Dom Hyam 

And Kieran Tierney presumably? Or am I missing something?

It's not ideal but then neither was facing Ukraine without Hanley and Tierney and Clark got a clean sheet out of it.

On 25/04/2023 at 09:29, 2426255 said:

There are three weeks between the end of Nottingham Forest's season (28-May) and Scotland's next round of games (17-Jun) so although it might seem unlikely just now maybe Scott McKenna can still make it into the squad. I'm not discounting him yet because we don't know how severe the fracture is or any of the detail around the injury.

Take the point but it's pretty unlikely he's coming back in 7 weeks or so from a broken collar bone, and in the very unlikely event that he did and he and his club were prepared to rush him for an international qualifier in the middle of the holidays, he wouldn't have played for weeks so him stepping in to face Haaland ahead of the others probably isn't wise anyway.