Scotland Centre Backs

On 29/08/2022 at 15:40, 2426255 said:

big declan Gallagher will have o be recalled. 

Would make sense. Clarke knows him and he's playing well in the Scottish Premiership - like he was the last time he was called up. I expect he'll be back in the squad. 

Scott McKenna is now our central defender playing at the highest level. And he’s playing for a club that’s just signed 18 new players for £150 million and is still first choice.

The problem is that he plays left central defence in a back 3, same position as Tierney does for Scotland. 

I think Clarke needs to look at McKenna in the middle of the back 3 going forward.

It’s the position that Grant Hanley has done so well in for Scotland but it’s not a position that Hanley plays at club level either. Maybe Hanley can move to play on the right? He’s playing playing left central defence for his club in a flat back 4 this season. 

12 hours ago, Captain Saintsible said:

Scott McKenna is now our central defender playing at the highest level. And he’s playing for a club that’s just signed 18 new players for £150 million and is still first choice.

The problem is that he plays left central defence in a back 3, same position as Tierney does for Scotland. 

I think Clarke needs to look at McKenna in the middle of the back 3 going forward.

It’s the position that Grant Hanley has done so well in for Scotland but it’s not a position that Hanley plays at club level either. Maybe Hanley can move to play on the right? He’s playing playing left central defence for his club in a flat back 4 this season. 

I've always considered Scott McKenna an option as the middle centre-back and wouldn't have any issue if that were to be something that happens. I think a more likely replacement for Grant Hanley would be Jack Hendry or Liam Cooper given both have been given that role when Scott McKenna has been available. 

My preference is for Grant Hanley to continue as our first choice central centre-back for the remainder of the Nations League games in September, but possibly consider other options around March 2023 ahead of the Euro 2024 qualifiers.

2 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

I'd forgotten about Stephen Welsh (playing tonight). Decent option if we need cover.

I wouldn’t have agreed a few months ago but aerially this season he’s improved a fair bit. Add being an u21 captain and Ange seeming to rate him by punting a few bids for him now it would seem an option for the squad if somebody  pulls out. Still not massively convinced myself though but tbh you could say that about a fair few of the cb’s in the squad.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62863137

BBC reporting that Halkett is fit for tomorrow night's match in the ECL.

Potential for him to be drafted into the Scotland squad? I supposed he's in a similar position to Cooper - not injured but not match fit either. I imagine it might come down to necessity if either is called upon.

8 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62863137

BBC reporting that Halkett is fit for tomorrow night's match in the ECL.

Potential for him to be drafted into the Scotland squad? I supposed he's in a similar position to Cooper - not injured but not match fit either. I imagine it might come down to necessity if either is called upon.

Would rather Leon King. He's going to be a very good player.

Would rather Leon King. He's going to be a very good player.
My first instinct is "it's too early", but then Wales have yet again taken the gamble with a youngster in the shape of Luke Harris, who is in a similar situation.

Wouldn't be averse to it, but the way things are and *if* king progresses, I expect he'll get a chance soon anyway.

25 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

My first instinct is "it's too early", but then Wales have yet again taken the gamble with a youngster in the shape of Luke Harris, who is in a similar situation.

Wouldn't be averse to it, but the way things are and *if* king progresses, I expect he'll get a chance soon anyway.

Its something wales/ireland/northern ireland seem to do quite a lot. Young player breaking through that has options for a few countries they jump on it straight away. If Elliot Anderson/Harrison Ashby etc was eligible for them they would be in their squad by now i believe. (Not saying i agree with this or that we should be calling up every tom dick and harry that shows early potential). Only Gilmour and paterson of late maybe fall into the breaking through/not many games category and straight into the squad and they have certainly been good additions. 

3 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

I would rather him than someone who isn't really good enough anyway and would just be a squad filler for a little while. I think he is going to be a very good player and is pretty much ready to come in now or pretty soon.