Scotland Centre Backs

5 minutes ago, accies1874 said:
14 minutes ago, craigkillie said:
I reckon you'd have about 3 players still available to play for us if you listened to every post about players who should never play for us again.

I'm curious to know who the three would be as I'm pretty sure every player has got it at some point.

If you go by social media we’d be fielding a team of Anthony Ralston, Scott Wright and Anthony Ralston.

1 hour ago, eez-eh said:

Cooper was excellent in the middle against Denmark but has struggled badly the last twice he was asked to play on the left.

We need a plan B for when Tierney isn’t fit.

I'd be willing to give McKenna a try at LCB given that he plays it for his club, but really, I need to be convinced that the back three is a good idea at all in Tierney's absence. 

RCB - Souttar // Hendry // Porteous

CB - Hanley // Cooper // Gallagher

LCB - Tierney // McKenna // Halkett

McTominay can go into midfield and fight for his place.

Tbh it should be a 4-2-3-1 if one or both of Robertson and Tierney are unavailable.

Hanley in Cooper were so, so poor last night. Hanley delivered a masterclass in how not to defend one-ones. They were also woefully exposed. Hanley has the problem of either being pretty solid or pretty catastrophic (he doesn't seem to know how to moderate his below par performances). I wouldn't rule either out in future - they are on a similar level to those who would replace them, but their weakness were blinding last night. 

What I struggle to understand is why go with the back three in cases when it actually just exposes them to more attacks (because there is less cover in midfield areas)? I feel like it just doubles down on the weak part of them team. Surely Clarke has to understand when the back 4 is more appropriate? 

I'd be willing to give McKenna a try at LCB given that he plays it for his club, but really, I need to be convinced that the back three is a good idea at all in Tierney's absence. 

Tbh it should be a 4-2-3-1 if one or both of Robertson and Tierney are unavailable.

Halkett would be even worse than Cooper in a wide centre-back position, not good on the ball at all.

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Halkett would be even worse than Cooper in a wide centre-back position, not good on the ball at all.

Good job I’ve got him 3rd deep on the depth chart then. He shouldn’t be getting anywhere near a competitive start for us and I’d hope that three at the back would be binned long before resorting to Halkett. 

I thought the way Grant Hanley covered both of our outside centre-backs last night was fantastic. I feel like I must have been watching a different match from the people who thought he had a bad game, really impressive and I can see why Steve Clarke likes him and why Norwich City fans love him.

Edited by 2426255

Hanley is a really good underrated player, he will be our first choice centre back for some time I think.

Would be work in a flat 4 with Cooper? Unsure tbh, maybe something for us to try against Armenia. This season they were both Premier league captains, last season Hanley was in the championship team of the year.

5 hours ago, Satoshi said:

Would be work in a flat 4 with Cooper? Unsure tbh, maybe something for us to try against Armenia. 

I would be a little disappointed if Steve Clarke didn't stick to the current system most of the rest of this camp. Without knowing - it seems logical to expect the general match plans (based around our current system) are already outlined in principle given that the turnaround time between games is quite short and doesn't give enough time to perform opposition analysis or match planning. 

I'm not expecting or desiring a change in system. I think we do need to make a few adaptations but the core of the system is something I think we can still work with.

11 hours ago, Satoshi said:

Hanley is a really good underrated player, he will be our first choice centre back for some time I think.

Would be work in a flat 4 with Cooper? Unsure tbh, maybe something for us to try against Armenia. This season they were both Premier league captains, last season Hanley was in the championship team of the year.

May shock you to know Hanley is 31 in November.

On 02/06/2022 at 13:38, Donathan said:

What about Graham from Dundee Utd 

We’ve been successful with that shape so why would we change it? We’re comfortable in it and have worked on it a lot. Going into a big game and changing it wouldn’t have worked in our favour. When we did change, we created chances but were vulnerable on the counter-attack. 

Liam Cooper

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/international/why-would-we-change-it-scotland-defender-defiant-over-steve-clarkes-ukraine-tactics-3720066

I agree with this. Discussed in response to the set up versus Ukraine, but not necessarily with a view to Armenia. That said it is my personal view that a change in system versus Armenia isn't the solution.

On 03/06/2022 at 14:03, 2426255 said:

I would be a little disappointed if Steve Clarke didn't stick to the current system most of the rest of this camp. Without knowing - it seems logical to expect the general match plans (based around our current system) are already outlined in principle given that the turnaround time between games is quite short 

I'm not expecting or desiring a change in system. I think we do need to make a few adaptations but the core of the system is something I think we can still work with.

19 hours ago, Craigieboy86 said:

RCB - Souttar // Hendry // Hyam

CB - Rose // Porteous // Gallagher

LCB - Graham // McKenna // Halkett

If Coventry keep playing well Hyam could conceivably get a cap or 2 in the future.

I think Gallaghers cycle in the squad has well and truly came to an end.

On 02/06/2022 at 12:02, accies1874 said:
On 02/06/2022 at 11:54, craigkillie said:
I reckon you'd have about 3 players still available to play for us if you listened to every post about players who should never play for us again.

I'm curious to know who the three would be as I'm pretty sure every player has got it at some point

On 02/06/2022 at 13:38, Donathan said:

Ryan ?  Sorry !

• 2 months later...

Looking at our centre-back options, we might a problem with depth at RCB and CCB. McTominay and Hanley are first choice but Souttar, Hendry and Cooper aren't playing for different reasons and others who've been in the squad recently aren't gonna be selected (Halkett injured, Porteous in horrendous form).

Could have McKenna cover both LCB and CCB but it's looking a bit thin back there atm.