Scotland Centre Backs

3 hours ago, Scumjob said:

McKenna, Hendry, Hanley, Cooper and Souttar are surely a more than able 5 to share the 2 slots alongside Tierney?

Do we really need more English Championship fodder at the back? Are any of those 3 better than those in the squad?

Just passing on what I've heard and Liam Cooper is still injured.

How does he do against footballing sides though? I remember how much of a donkey he looked against Croatia. I do hope he comes good tbf, but he's not enough of a footballer to be anywhere near the first team right now.

Do Arsenal and Leicester count as footballing sides?

McKenna was always decent on the ball himself coming through at Aberdeen, he brings the ball out from the back for Forest from what I’ve seen. Not quite KT but would easily slot into our defence.

5 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

McKenna was always decent on the ball himself coming through at Aberdeen, he brings the ball out from the back for Forest from what I’ve seen. Not quite KT but would easily slot into our defence.

Ill admit I've not seen anything of Mckenna recently, so don't know what hes likes now.

But I think saying he was decent on the ball at abredeen is certainly a stretch. Its the one thing he was always severely lacking. Considering his physical attributes if he was decent on the ball he would have been playing at a much higher level much sooner.

He looked awkward in possession often, and likely to make a rash challenge or mistake even if he has plenty of time. 

As mentioned previously when he came on against Croatia he looked nervous and out of his depth.

Im certainly not writing the guy off. He was also a good defender and read the game well players. Players can improve, and technique and composure is something he can develop.

I can see a future with McKenna as one of the first choice centre backs, but only if he's got better. Or gets better.

23 hours ago, accies1874 said:

Porteous has looked like Hibs' main man when I've seen them lately (admittedly not a lot so Hibs fans might disagree). I don't imagine he'll be in the squad in March but he's someone I'd love to see kick on soon.

Yeah I would 100% agree with this, there are definitely players ahead of him and he does have his moments but he just oozes class, it’s easy to forget he’s only 22.

At the moment he’s a cut above anything at Hibs, obviously not suggesting he gets in over the players that have been doing well for us but it would be nice to see him get a cap at some point, perhaps Armenia at home.

He can work as the stopper in the middle of the back 3 or at either side because he brings the ball out so well, can tell he’s taken a lot off working with Efe Ambrose in that sense, the way he takes the ball out of defence and breaks the lines is superb, and I imagine it would be a whole lot better if he’s passing to Lyndon Dykes/Che Adams instead of Kevin fucking Nisbet.

11 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

The post earlier referred to aerial battles won, so I was wondering how he does against teams who play the ball on the deck more. 

I don't remember him being noticeably good on the ball at Aberdeen and I disagree that he would easily slot into our defence. I reckon he's a squad player at best, and a significant downgrade on Hanley.

You've obviously seen him more than I so I'm happy to be wrong here and perhaps he has improved since moving to Forest. 

2 hours ago, Les Cabbage said:

He can work as the stopper in the middle of the back 3 or at either side because he brings the ball out so well, can tell he’s taken a lot off working with Efe Ambrose in that sense, the way he takes the ball out of defence and breaks the lines is superb

I think there could be potential for him to learn off and be used as cover for Kieran Tierney. We are a bit short in that area - we have seen neither Scott McKenna (Denmark) nor Liam Cooper (Czech Republic) really want to step into midfield. Shame he is right footed though, I know that's important to a lot of coaches including Steve Clarke. How has he been on the left side?

Edited by 2426255

20 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I think there could be potential for him to be used as a replacement for Kieran Tierney. We are a bit short in that area - we have seen neither Scott McKenna (Denmark) nor Liam Cooper (Czech Republic) really want to step into midfield. Shame he is right footed though, I know that's important to a lot of coaches including Steve Clarke. How has he been on the left side?

Usually it’s Paul Hanlon that would play there but he’s played there on occasion when injuries have forced this.

Honestly just the same as ever, brilliant defending, brilliant passing, the odd brain fart (usually against Rangers).

9 minutes ago, Les Cabbage said:

Usually it’s Paul Hanlon that would play there but he’s played there on occasion when injuries have forced this.

Honestly just the same as ever, brilliant defending, brilliant passing, the odd brain fart (usually against Rangers).

Would be interesting to see him there for a game, our options if Kieran Tierney becomes injured are Liam Cooper, Scott McKenna, Andrew Considine and I think John Souttar has maybe played that side for Hearts - more stock gap than replacement.

I think there is a vacancy for a good left sided centre back. Tierney getting injured or if Andrew Robertson gets injured are two circumstances where we might want one depending on how many Wing backs are part of the squad.

Edited by 2426255

I've wondered before whether Porteous could be used on the right of the three but Ross and Maloney have both pretty much always used him in the middle, although I think I noticed on Sportscene that he was on the right against Rangers.

On 14/02/2022 at 10:27, 2426255 said:

I have been keeping an eye on Ryan Porteous and has been doing well just recently, although we don't have to look too far back to see his discipline issues at the foreI wouldn't object to him being called up to the squad and we know he is knocking on the door of the National Team set up as he was called in as a replacement for Denmark - so it gives us some idea of where he stands in the pecking order.

I also heard that one of Steve Clarke's scouts was watching Coventry City defenders Michael Rose, Dom Hyam and Todd Kane in the past couple of weeks.

I'm biased but I honestly think this has been blown way out of proportion by the *** loving media following the Aribo tackle. Over the past 18 months ago he's really screwed the nut and almost completely cut out the rash tackles and violent outbursts. 

On 15/02/2022 at 12:47, 2426255 said:

Would be interesting to see him there for a game, our options if Kieran Tierney becomes injured are Liam Cooper, Scott McKenna, Andrew Considine and I think John Souttar has maybe played that side for Hearts - more stock gap than replacement.

I think there is a vacancy for a good left sided centre back. Tierney getting injured or if Andrew Robertson gets injured are two circumstances where we might want one depending on how many Wing backs are part of the squad.

We a 4th choice left sided centre back just in case the other 3 get injured?

Liam Cooper Update:

Kalvin (Phillips) and (Liam) Cooper continue their normal processes. The objective is that they get to March available. The medical calculation was 12 weeks and that hasn’t changed.

Marcelo Bielsa

https://youtu.be/C_BwpyWVLCE?t=648

Liam Cooper last played for Leeds on December 5th, but I'm not sure when the 12 weeks starts from. Steve Clarke has called up squad regulars even if they aren't fully fit. It will be touch and go as if he only returns in March he will only have three 1st team games to get up to speed. The squad will be announced around March 15th I believe.

If he doesn't make the squad, it impacts the squad considerably given the fact that we have been streamlined at both LCB and LWB since Greg Taylor dropped out of the squad through injury.

Edited by 2426255

For Alfred Schreuder it took a while to find Club Brugge, but the Dutchman now seems to have found his type team. He also had to make some decisions in defense. Under Schreuder, Club Brugge now seems to be playing with a three-man defence in which there is surprisingly no place for Jack Hendry.

The Scot was one of the few real stars at Blauw-Zwart this season, but now seems to have lost his place to Brandon Mechele. Since his red card at KAA Gent, Hendry hasn't played a minute for Club Brugge. Not due to an injury, but purely a sporting choice by Schreuder, they know at La Dernière Heure. A choice that also causes some criticism. "To me this is a mystery, I honestly don't understand it," said analyst Alexandre Teklak. Hendry now has to prove himself in training in the coming days and weeks to be able to get a place in the eleven.

https://www.voetbalprimeur.be/nieuws/1019680/schreuder-rekent-plots-niet-meer-op-hendry-bij-club-brugge-onbegrijpelijk.html

Should be interesting to watch how this develops. It might simplify the decision making for Steve Clarke if Jack Hendry can't regain his place at Bruges in the run up to the playoff game and we have good options in that area in Scott McTominay and John Souttar. 

Club Bruges only have four games left before our playoff game, three of which occur prior to the squad announcement. 

Edited by 2426255

• 2 weeks later...

So Liam (Cooper) was in training yesterday and I think he’s making really good progress. Kalvin (Phillips) is a few days behind, we will evaluate on Friday if he’s ready to enter training.

In my mind I’m earmarking the international break as a time where we can really start to get him into a training rhythm and get him back to being at 100%. Maybe it happens earlier - let’s see, but I think what’s most important at this juncture right now is that we don’t have any set backs and that we’re building them in the right ways so that the curve of returning back to play is as steep as can be but has no interruptions.

Jesse Marsch

https://youtu.be/tZOrdl3oJg4?t=1522

Jesse Marsch changed between him and them during the press conference so I'm not too sure whether the International break is being earmarked for Liam Cooper as well as Kalvin Phillips.

Good news on Liam Cooper.

Liam (Cooper) and Kalvin (Phillips) are fully in training and are eligible for this weekend so we’ll make a decision today exactly what we do with that and what the plan will be.

Jesse Marsch

https://youtu.be/mCtcmf5qlog?t=853

If he plays for Leeds tomorrow night you could be forgiven for wondering why he wasn't part of the Scotland squad. 

Edited by 2426255

3 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Good news on Liam Cooper.

https://youtu.be/mCtcmf5qlog?t=853

If he plays for Leeds tomorrow night you could be forgiven for wondering why he wasn't part of the Scotland squad. 

As someone who suffered extensively from hamstring injuries I'd say they really have to be managed very carefully after healing. Given Cooper's was apparently a bad one and these are only friendlies coming up it wouldn't surprise me if they've agreed to leave him be for now.

Edited by Londonwell

• 1 month later...