Scotland Centre Backs

15 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

He's 24. So he's been mostly a first choice since he was 15 has he?  Must be some player.

I can't be bothered with this pish, people who know what they're talking about know what they're talking about, people who don't don't.

As for littered with serious injuries shut up. He had one injury that has reoccurred twice. A career 'littered' with serious injuries doesn't result in over 200 games aged 24. As I said if you ken you ken, if you dinna you come out with pish like this.

Yeah I dunno about that:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/john-souttar/verletzungen/spieler/235767

1 minute ago, G51 said:

That's 14 injuries in 7 years. That's f**k all. 

As I said you have to know what you're looking at to understand what you see. 

My point is one of Scotland's best young-ish CB's is fit and playing again after long-term injury. This pleases me, naturally.

I don't understand people who are desperate to go HE'S PYOOR SHITE AND AN UTTER CROCK WAAAAAAAAAAH but whatever floats your boat I guess.

6 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

My point is one of Scotland's best young-ish CB's is fit and playing again after long-term injury. This pleases me, naturally.

I don't understand people who are desperate to go HE'S PYOOR SHITE AND AN UTTER CROCK WAAAAAAAAAAH but whatever floats your boat I guess.

He’s had two seasons since 2014 that he wasn’t out for more than three months with a serious injury, and that was 15/16 and 17/18.

Among those injuries are a hip problem and three ruptured Achilles. Three! There are very few athletes that can come back from one Achilles injury and reach their physical peak again, never mind coming back from three, with two of them in the last two seasons.

I like the guy, but he’s done. He’s not going to be the player he was.

Edited by G51

3 minutes ago, G51 said:

He’s had two seasons since 2014 that he wasn’t out for more than three months with a serious injury, and that was 15/16 and 17/18.

Among those injuries are a hip problem and three ruptured Achilles. Three! There are very few athletes that can come back from one Achilles injury and reach their physical peak again, never mind coming back from three, with two of them in the last two seasons.

This is my take. I’m not in any sense rubbishing the ability he has/had - but I think it’s an enormous stretch to say he’s going to develop much beyond the level he’s at given everything that’s happened. I also don’t believe he’s actually shown a huge amount of *defensive* ability in the many games I’ve seen him play in person.

12 minutes ago, G51 said:

I disagree, and seriously doubt your level of expertise to make such a judgement. But that's okay. 

Funnily enough he personally said a couple of weeks ago physically he feels in the best condition he's ever been in in his life, but what would he know about how he feels physically I suppose.

2 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

I disagree, and seriously doubt your level of expertise to make such a judgement. But that's okay. 

Funnily enough he personally said a couple of weeks ago physically he feels in the best condition he's ever been in in his life, but what would he know about how he feels physically I suppose.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2214687320300054

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0363546513490659

This isn’t an isolated view. It’s pretty well established.

Now imagine going through that not once, not twice, but three times.

2 minutes ago, G51 said:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2214687320300054

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0363546513490659

This isn’t an isolated view. It’s pretty well established.

Now imagine going through that not once, not twice, but three times.

We've done this before. Its a waste of time. 

3 minutes ago, Scumjob said:

We all dream of a Souttar brother partnership in defence for Scotland.

A real shame one is locked to Australia and the other to the treatment table.

Looking forward to Amazon prime doing a docu-drama about it titled Down Under the Knife.

3 hours ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Let's put this into some context, Robert Lewandowski just had his first injury that has kept him out for consecutive games since he played in the Polish third flight - over a decade ago.  He's a special case who looks after himself (much like Ronaldo) to a level above most.  However, it does show what is possible.

Having four injuries of over three months out by the age of 24 is not typical, and is rather serious.

Beyond that, he's a centre half playing for Hearts.  When we saw him playing CB for Dundee United at the age of 17, our expectations would have been somewhat higher than in the Championship with Hearts some 7 years later.

16 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Let's put this into some context, Robert Lewandowski just had his first injury that has kept him out for consecutive games since he played in the Polish third flight - over a decade ago.  He's a special case who looks after himself (much like Ronaldo) to a level above most.  However, it does show what is possible.

Having four injuries of over three months out by the age of 24 is not typical, and is rather serious.

Beyond that, he's a centre half playing for Hearts.  When we saw him playing CB for Dundee United at the age of 17, our expectations would have been somewhat higher than in the Championship with Hearts some 7 years later.

Lets put this to bed once and for all.

Not having a go at you, but everyone read this. They had done studies into this

On average, a player sustained 2.0 injuries per season, resulting in 50 injuries per season in a team of 25. The types and locations of injuries are shown in Table 3. Eighty-seven per cent of the injuries affected the lower extremities. Muscle strain, ligament sprain and contusion were the most common injury types.

So on average a player gets two injuries per season. It was just posted that Souttar is injury prone for getting 14 injuries in 7 seasons. I'm not Carol Vorderman but 14 divided by 7 is...............2. So he's absolutely bang on the money average for the amount of injuries players get. 

His problem has been he had one very serious one that reoccured twice.

As for the level he's at he's obviously a significantly better player than that level and would be at a significantly better level if he hadn't missed most of the last three years due to serious injury.

1 hour ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Lets put this to bed once and for all.

Not having a go at you, but everyone read this. They had done studies into this

On average, a player sustained 2.0 injuries per season, resulting in 50 injuries per season in a team of 25. The types and locations of injuries are shown in Table 3. Eighty-seven per cent of the injuries affected the lower extremities. Muscle strain, ligament sprain and contusion were the most common injury types.

So on average a player gets two injuries per season. It was just posted that Souttar is injury prone for getting 14 injuries in 7 seasons. I'm not Carol Vorderman but 14 divided by 7 is...............2. So he's absolutely bang on the money average for the amount of injuries players get. 

His problem has been he had one very serious one that reoccured twice.

As for the level he's at he's obviously a significantly better player than that level and would be at a significantly better level if he hadn't missed most of the last three years due to serious injury.

Is this a wind up post?

You say he's no more injured than average then your last paragraph says he's missed most of the last 3 years to injury...

Come on now.

6 minutes ago, Scumjob said:

Is this a wind up post?

You say he's no more injured than average then your last paragraph says he's missed most of the last 3 years to injury...

Come on now.

Because his injury was serious.

I'm not sure what's hard to comprehend. The average number of injuries per season is 2. His number of injuries per season is 2. 

This is so tiresome. I can't be bothered with it anymore. I'm glad he's back and will be playing for Scotland at the latest this time next year.

Since the start of the 18/19 season, to today, Souttar has been injured for 598 days out of 982.

Put simply, of the last 3 seasons Souttar has missed 60.89% through injury.

How anyone claim that's normal is wild.