Scotland Centre Backs

37 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

These are both highly, highly questionable assertions. The first one in particular - he played six league games between coming back from ankle surgery and the first Achilles injury. In those six games Hearts conceded 14 goals. The game I saw in full - at home to St Johnstone - he and the rest of the Hearts defence were an absolute catastrophe from start to finish. If you’re looking at the period between that ankle injury and his previous long term injury he was a stalwart in a Hearts team that was utter, utter shit and that only managed four wins between the winter break and the end of the season.

I'm obviously talking about the first time, that's why I said the first time.

I'm comfortable with you finding this a questionable claim and trust my own judgement.

Edited to add

Craig Levein describing him as 'the best centre back in Scotland' after he turned in an 'excellent' performance in a Scottish Cup semi-final win.  After returning from his first achilles injury.

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/sport/football/john-souttar-best-centre-back-16138674

Edited by HalfCutNinja

With respect, at that point in his tenure at Hearts Craig Levein was an utter crackpot. Souttar has never been fit enough at Hearts for a long enough period to show any kind of form - and certainly not at the point Levein made that comment.

7 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

With respect, at that point in his tenure at Hearts Craig Levein was an utter crackpot. Souttar has never been fit enough at Hearts for a long enough period to show any kind of form - and certainly not at the point Levein made that comment.

Craig Levein may be many things, but he'll be a good judge of a central defender until the day he dies.

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

Eligible again for us in October if he doesn't play for Australia in the meantime.

Australia have fixtures scheduled in June.

Clark could get in his ear and drop the lure of playing with his brother.

Eligible again for us in October if he doesn't play for Australia in the meantime.
Just get it done. No place for pride here.

October 2022 isn't it? Sure it's a 3 year wait and he played in 2019?

2 minutes ago, BucksburnDandy said:
9 minutes ago, ewan14 said:
SSC pleased with Grant Hanley
Thoughts ?

He should be. Hanley did well in the three games and will have the shirt in June save for injury. The middle of the back three is the best he has looked for Scotland.

Who plays RCB if McTominay stays in midfield ?

9 hours ago, HalfCutNinja said:

I think he's gone. Shame, he would be our first choice in the middle of the three by now and for the Euros.

Clarke can ask all he wants, but all Australia need to say is "you can play in the World Cup in eighteen months".

I think you're probably right. However I can't help but feel the carrot of one day playing with his brother for Scotland would be a temptation.

And outside of World Cups slogging to the other side of the world to play outside of World Cups for qualifiers etc? We can offer numerous trips to Israel.

But are we going to a World Cup...Australia would be a safer bet if that's his main goal.

9 hours ago, HalfCutNinja said:

He did fine. Just what we knew and expected of him, well those that aren't pure belters.

Solid, steady, reliable. Good all round CB but not world class. We could do a lot worse.

Now I'm not disagreeing here, but that's the first time I've seen reliable and Hanley mentioned together. I've always thought his main issue is that he looks reliable right up until the inevitable bombscare error. Mind you if England are going to keep picking Stones then it might balance itself out.

17 hours ago, BucksburnDandy said:
17 hours ago, ewan14 said:
SSC pleased with Grant Hanley
Thoughts ?

He should be. Hanley did well in the three games and will have the shirt in June save for injury. The middle of the back three is the best he has looked for Scotland.

Hanley as sweeper , and Hendry at right centre back if McTominay stays in midfield ?