Scotland Centre Backs

Dominic Hyam at Coventry could be worth a look. Inauspicious start to his career but he’s been one of their better performers this season.
My Coventry supporting friend says "Jesus Christ, don't do that. Our defence has been so shit this year, he's one of the worst."

On 02/03/2021 at 21:13, Rabinho said:

Dominic Hyam at Coventry could be worth a look. Inauspicious start to his career but he’s been one of their better performers this season.

No tah. 

I watch allot of championship football at the moment and come across Scottish centre backs semi regularly, seen a thread on twitter that I found interesting. 

It has data on championship defenders under the age of 24, who have played more than 900 minutes. Harry Souttar compares very favourably which is a shame, I watched him a couple of weeks ago for Stoke and he did look very good. 

20210305_044538.thumb.jpg.cebf5edcb0b5d60390b1aa983684f7af.jpg

Other plays to note are Tom McIntyre and Stephen McKenna, McIntyre shows up well in both the defensive actions and for aerial prowess, McKenna has good completion rates in both but doesn't seem to do many. 

20210305_044715.thumb.jpg.900c5c3f6cf47d0ea4da998c21242760.jpg

McIntyre also shows up well for interceptions, McKenna looking pretty poor at them. 20210305_044932.thumb.jpg.3fccde7d469b7df81ce5c63ea9fcebe7.jpg

One thing I was surprised at was the amount of progressive runs that McKenna does, with McIntyre playing as the LCB in a back 3/5 I thought he would've had better passing metrics. 

20210305_045116.thumb.jpg.a88ce13d65dda413af0e6c1f63d7b4a4.jpg

20210305_045318.thumb.jpg.b3432a2796970c012c36c6fb9e1dd337.jpg

McKenna has always been pretty keen to bring the ball out from the back. His passing isn't the best but he always likes to stride forward and try to make things happen.

It's worth remembering that McIntyre is playing for a team which is miles better - if you swapped them over then I feel like McKenna would have the better numbers in a lot of those categories.

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

McKenna has always been pretty keen to bring the ball out from the back. His passing isn't the best but he always likes to stride forward and try to make things happen.

It's worth remembering that McIntyre is playing for a team which is miles better - if you swapped them over then I feel like McKenna would have the better numbers in a lot of those categories.

I get what you're saying, but with McKenna playing for a worse team, and coming under more defensive pressure I thought his data would back that up, Forrest must come under more attacks than Reading and yet it reads like McIntyre is the busier defender. 

Whereas with McIntyre playing for a better team, who do well for possession I'd have thought his ball progression would've been better. 

1 hour ago, Grant228 said:

I get what you're saying, but with McKenna playing for a worse team, and coming under more defensive pressure I thought his data would back that up, Forrest must come under more attacks than Reading and yet it reads like McIntyre is the busier defender. 

Whereas with McIntyre playing for a better team, who do well for possession I'd have thought his ball progression would've been better. 

Don't know enough about how both sides play, but could it be the case of different roles in different teams bringing different results? This is all CBs for Forest/Reading using just the "input" metrics used...

2021-03-07_14-14-43.thumb.png.c9a257a2307dfb23b6c1b9dc20da5080.png

Once you adjust for possession the CBs seem to split into 2. Both sides have 2 who do far more than the 3rd. Do they both play with one "aggressive" CB who comes into midfield to pick up interceptions while the other sits?

Teams maybe target McIntyre more in the air than McKenna because they believe McKenna is strong there/target the other side of the defence because they think its the weaker side?

b.png.8ae3685a319a8b88283e70c738a65418.png

McKenna by far the strongest in terms of success, which maybe backs that up. If you looked at these figures, and were away to play Forest, what CBs would you attack?

Edited by RandomGuy.

Very interesting stats. McIntyre certainly looks worth a closer look by Clark at some point before or after the Euros.
Didn't someone claim Souttar is still somehow eligible as well? I can't remember (or think) how mind.
Because he's had less than 4 full Aus caps before turning 21, Souttar can still change back but would have to refuse any future call ups from Aus for two years to do so. He's not going to do that (he switched to them because Scotland had ignored him for 2 years).

46 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:
1 hour ago, Scumjob said:
Very interesting stats. McIntyre certainly looks worth a closer look by Clark at some point before or after the Euros.
Didn't someone claim Souttar is still somehow eligible as well? I can't remember (or think) how mind.

Because he's had less than 4 full Aus caps before turning 21, Souttar can still change back but would have to refuse any future call ups from Aus for two years to do so. He's not going to do that (he switched to them because Scotland had ignored him for 2 years).

Ah fair that does seem unlikely then!

Although his last cap was October 2019...

Stevie Clark could I'm sure play the "Sorry about before, Strachan thought you were too tall to be eligible, but how'd you feel about playing with your brother for Scotland?" card...

Stevie Clark could I'm sure play the "Sorry about before, Strachan thought you were too tall to be eligible, but how'd you feel about playing with your brother for Scotland?" card...
It'd be worth a shot. Nothing to lose except a wee bit of dignity.

1 hour ago, Gordopolis said:
2 hours ago, Scumjob said:

It'd be worth a shot. Nothing to lose except a wee bit of dignity.

We've only just got it back. 😬

Apparently we have a young CB at Fulham who has represented for the U19s - Ibane Bowat. Arsenal and Everton allegedly interested.

https://www.teamtalk.com/news/exclusive-arsenal-west-ham-everton-in-transfer-talks-with-ibane-bowat

Anyone seen him play? Will no doubt end up representing England should he break through at any of the clubs linked.