Scotland Centre Backs

Just now, The Moonster said:

This obsession with the foot that our centre backs kick with has to end. If they were all right footed it wouldn't even be a topic of discussion.

Its pretty obvious that in a 3 centre back system it is pretty important. More than in a 2.

The left and right sided ones, its certainly an advantage to have their stronger foot on the outside.

5 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

In a 3 centre back system its a pretty big advantage.

Im not sure about you. But personally I think we should be looking to take advantage of any advantages.

We need to weigh up different factors. Footedness is one of them, that's correct, but it's not the only factor.

If we have Cooper on the "wrong side" but it allows McTominay to move into midfield, is that a better option than McTominay at RCB with McGregor in midfield? I don't know the answer tbh.

9 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

In a 3 centre back system its a pretty big advantage.

Im not sure about you. But personally I think we should be looking to take advantage of any advantages.

I watched Kieran Tierney ping a ball into the top bin with his right peg a couple of months ago, I'm sure he or Liam Cooper are capable of playing a forward pass or two with their "weak" foot. In fact I'm certain of it, as Tierney has played right back for us with very little issue. 

Scott McTominay is looking like one of the best midfielders in one of the best leagues in the world. It might be an advantage to use him in his best position, possibly more of an advantage than our RCB being strongest on his right foot, that's all I'm suggesting. 

Just now, Marshmallo said:

We need to weigh up different factors. Footedness is one of them, that's correct, but it's not the only factor.

If we have Cooper on the "wrong side" but it allows McTominay to move into midfield, is that a better option than McTominay at RCB with McGregor in midfield? I don't know the answer tbh.

Personally I'd say it wasn't a better option.

Just now, The Moonster said:

I watched Kieran Tierney ping a ball into the top bin with his right peg a couple of months ago, I'm sure he or Liam Cooper are capable of playing a forward pass or two with their "weak" foot. In fact I'm certain of it, as Tierney has played right back for us with very little issue. 

Scott McTominay is looking like one of the best midfielders in one of the best leagues in the world. It might be an advantage to use him in his best position, possibly more of an advantage than our RCB being strongest on his right foot, that's all I'm suggesting. 

I'd agree it would be easy enough for Tierney. Coopers nowhere near his level tho. In terms of technical ability.

3 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

I'd guess that SC believes it's the latter, given that that's what he's gone with in squads involving those three players. I'm happy to go with it on that basis, though it is frustrating to see McTominay bossing games or having really barnstorming spells in games in Man U's midfield and thinking what we're missing out on in that respect.

Also, whatever goal threat he provides doesn't disappear if he's playing at the back - at corners he's still up for headers or can rove near the edge of the box for drilled shots etc.

4 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

I think Considine ended up playing right CB in one of the last games.

IMHO it was not a success

This is something that none of us could possibly know, but I'd be interested in knowing when Clarke decided that a back five is our best option, what stopped him if it was early in his tenure and if he's always envisaged McTominay and Tierney playing there.

1 hour ago, accies1874 said:

This is something that none of us could possibly know, but I'd be interested in knowing when Clarke decided that a back five is our best option, what stopped him if it was early in his tenure and if he's always envisaged McTominay and Tierney playing there.

I heard somewhere that , with Scotland , it is the first time he has played 3 - 5 - 2 and not four at the back !?

I heard somewhere that , with Scotland , it is the first time he has played 3 - 5 - 2 and not four at the back !?
I think he might have played it at Killie initially. I can't remember it but I'm sure I heard/saw it elsewhere.

He dabbled with 3-5-2 when he took over at Killie before he settled on the back four that he basically picked every week for 2 years.

I think a number of things would have led him to the back three. The simplest thing is that we don't have any good centre-backs, and this system means he only has to pick one rather than two. Likewise, we don't really have a good right-back and playing that way means we don't really need to.

Then you have the lack of a good ball playing defender with Charlie Mulgrew not being up to it any more, which meant in the 4-4-1-1 we ended up being unable to keep possession. On top of that he'd have seen Kieran Tierney excelling on the left of a back three for Arsenal and the summer, with the added bonus that it lets him pick both him and Robertson.

The one thing I'd say is that Clarke isn't a particularly dogmatic manager, so I wouldn't say he'll remain wedded to the back three forever. Most likely we will still play that way at the Euros, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a return to a four at some point.

Edited by craigkillie

13 hours ago, The Moonster said:

This obsession with the foot that our centre backs kick with has to end. If they were all right footed it wouldn't even be a topic of discussion.

Ach, was just giving some information on the player, he did look like a good quality championship centre back, was impressed. 

10 hours ago, craigkillie said:

He dabbled with 3-5-2 when he took over at Killie before he settled on the back four that he basically picked every week for 2 years.

I think a number of things would have led him to the back three. The simplest thing is that we don't have any good centre-backs, and this system means he only has to pick one rather than two. Likewise, we don't really have a good right-back and playing that way means we don't really need to.

Then you have the lack of a good ball playing defender with Charlie Mulgrew not being up to it any more, which meant in the 4-4-1-1 we ended up being unable to keep possession. On top of that he'd have seen Kieran Tierney excelling on the left of a back three for Arsenal and the summer, with the added bonus that it lets him pick both him and Robertson.

The one thing I'd say is that Clarke isn't a particularly dogmatic manager, so I wouldn't say he'll remain wedded to the back three forever. Most likely we will still play that way at the Euros, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a return to a four at some point.

The back three was to get Tierney and Robertson both on the pitch, I’m certain of that.