Scotland Centre Backs

10 hours ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

That's right he probably is.  Only a fanny would think an individual mistake has any bearing on this.

Tierney is the most over rated player i've ever seen.

Muppets like you comparing him to someone considered the best LB in club football.

Edited by red23

• 3 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, ewan14 said:

Gained prominence due to a result tonight

Jack Hendry getting praise in Belgium

Wallopers on here will instantly dismiss people like that, but our 3 at the back can comfortably accommodate people who might surprise you initially. We've seen it with Considine, Hanlon has been brought in.

Anyone playing regularly at a half decent level has a chance, especially with decent physical attributes.  Hendry is a big lad, relatively mobile for a CB, good on the ball, and still a decent age.  He has every chance.  Likewise David Bates, in a similar position.  Both these guys if they keep playing regular football for a while will definitely be in contention.

In the game against Slovakia SSC rested McTominay , but replaced him with left footed Considine

IIRC Hendry is right footed , so might be a better replacement if McTominay is ( hopefully not ) unavailable , OR moved into midfield !

Maybe the coaching is better in Belgium ?!!?

1 minute ago, ewan14 said:

In the game against Slovakia SSC rested McTominay , but replaced him with left footed Considine

IIRC Hendry is right footed , so might be a better replacement if McTominay is ( hopefully not ) unavailable , OR moved into midfield !

Maybe the coaching is better in Belgium ?!!?

He always had attributes, just needed time and the right club.  Hopefully he has that now, if he is still playing well early next season he will be right in contention.  Not fit to lace Harry Souttar's boots but would be a reasonable option, as would people like whats his name at Hearts can't remember but half decent. Also right footed.  Halkett.

Ideally you really want McTominay in midfield, next to Gilmour has a terrific look btw, but you need the right replacement.  He brings a lot to us at the back so will stay there until the right replacement (H Souttar) emerges.  John Souttar could actually do it well if he got fully fit and back to his best.  

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Bates has played 5 times since the start of 2019/20. Hendry is at least playing regularly and can't be totally written off, but still has a lot to prove.

I did not realise Hendry was doing so ( relatively ) well

A very pleasant surprise

Fingers crossed for John Souttar , but is Halkett having a good season so far ?

36 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Ideally you really want McTominay in midfield, next to Gilmour has a terrific look btw, but you need the right replacement.  He brings a lot to us at the back so will stay there until the right replacement (H Souttar) emerges.  John Souttar could actually do it well if he got fully fit and back to his best.  

Sorry CYG , you will have to persuade Harry he really is Scottish

1 hour ago, ewan14 said:

I did not realise Hendry was doing so ( relatively ) well

A very pleasant surprise

Fingers crossed for John Souttar , but is Halkett having a good season so far ?

I've only seen them twice but he has started every game for Hearts so far in the league.  Decent all round defender, quite like him.  Right side of a back three would suit him very well, and also still only 25.

Wallopers on here will instantly dismiss people like that, but our 3 at the back can comfortably accommodate people who might surprise you initially. We've seen it with Considine, Hanlon has been brought in.
Anyone playing regularly at a half decent level has a chance, especially with decent physical attributes.  Hendry is a big lad, relatively mobile for a CB, good on the ball, and still a decent age.  He has every chance.  Likewise David Bates, in a similar position.  Both these guys if they keep playing regular football for a while will definitely be in contention.
I think the system is the crux of all this. Any 2 of our current defence pool (plus those on the outside like Bates, Hendry etc) will be more often than be not ripped new ones in a 2.
3 gives us a bit of cement at the back, allowing us to play and interchange a number of okay-ish CBs without disaster.

Just now, Gordopolis said:

I think the system is the crux of all this. Any 2 of our current defence pool (plus those on the outside like Bates, Hendry etc) will be more often than be not ripped new ones in a 2.
3 gives us a bit of cement at the back, allowing us to play and interchange a number of okay-ish CBs without disaster.

Absolutley, it was a genius move. If your CB's aren't top drawer play three of them.  What a difference it has made, and it is a system that doesn't require them to be top class, just half decent and in good form and fit and sharp.  We have loads of those, we don't have a Sergio Ramos but we have about forty Andy Considine's.  

I have to say for Clarke as well, on this whole forum, myself included, nobody suggested playing Fraser off a main striker.  And when we have that is when we have looked at our most dangerous, it makes us into a different team and allows us to be even more compact.

I love the flexibility of how we play too, it can be lots of different variations of the same thing both on and off the ball, and is easily tweaked.  We're still a long way from a good international side but we have something to work with now.

Jack Hendry, Craig Halkett, and David Bates all suggested, while there's a Scottish CB almost exactly matching McTominays role for Scotland, and succeeding at it, week in, week out, as captain of a Scottish Premiership side.

And the same folk have the cheek to gurn about how players from small clubs are ignored for players from big clubs despite being better 😂