Scotland Centre Backs

1 hour ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I'll have you know I played in the Brazil 1970 World Cup winning team, so am far better qualified to judge than yourself.

He struggled to get into a rotten Ayr Utd team. When he did play, he was a lumbering oaf who's only ability seemed to be heading away long balls. He was basically a younger Grant Hanley.

Says you.  But Aberdeen, who are a better judge than you, thought he did well enough to bring him back this season and put him into their team who have better players and bigger resources than Ayr.

Now Hull, who have better players and bigger resources than Aberdeen, and who are also a better judge than you think he's done well enough that they want to buy him.

He has also progressed with Scotland being called up by the u21s, who also are better judges than you.

So either he's progressed incredibly much in six months or you're not a very good judge of a player.

It is entirely reasonable that Ayr fans wouldn't rate McKenna - by his own admission, he had a bad time of it there last season. He has, since breaking into our team almost by accident earlier this season, however, been a breath of fresh air. I was concerned that he wouldn't be up to it precisely because of the negative reports from Ayr fans, but he has been assured, commanding and arguably our most consistent performer since our 1-0 win against Motherwell. If the Aberdeen support had one slight criticism of McInnes previous to this season, it was that he perhaps wasn't willing to trust the younger players even when the senior players weren't firing on all cylinders, but McKenna has made it more or less impossible for McInnes to drop him in recent months. Often with young players, Scott Wright being case in point, they blow hot and cold and don't really give the manager a serious decision to make, but McKenna has just been consistently good. I'd even go as far as saying that, with the exception of Berra, there hasn't been a more impressive centre-back in the Premiership since the end of September. 

Of course, he isn't ready to be starting for Scotland yet. Berra, Mulgrew, Hanley and others are still ahead of him in the pecking order, and rightly so. Indeed, it would be naive not to expect a dip in form at some stage. But calling him "absolutely dreadful" after his showings this season, is just demonstrable nonsense. 

We have decent options in Lindsay, McKenna, Hendry, McCrorie, Cooper and Souttar.

The problem we have is that Strachan point blank refused to give a young centre back a chance. Time to give some (or all) of these guys a good 4 or 5 friendly matches and see what they are made of, regardless of how many games they've played at senior level.

We have Tierney, Robertson and Paterson as full backs for the foreseeable future. Get a decent young partnership up and running and we could have a settled back 4 for the next 3 or 4 campaigns.

23 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

We have decent options in Lindsay, McKenna, Hendry, McCrorie, Cooper and Souttar.

The problem we have is that Strachan point blank refused to give a young centre back a chance. Time to give some (or all) of these guys a good 4 or 5 friendly matches and see what they are made of, regardless of how many games they've played at senior level.

We have Tierney, Robertson and Paterson as full backs for the foreseeable future. Get a decent young partnership up and running and we could have a settled back 4 for the next 3 or 4 campaigns.

I said it earlier in the thread - Grant Hanley was 21 when Strachan gave him his first competitive start.  He then stuck by him for over 2 years.  That's literally 50% of his starting centre-backs being "young".

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

I said it earlier in the thread - Grant Hanley was 21 when Strachan gave him his first competitive start.  He then stuck by him for over 2 years.  That's literally 50% of his starting centre-backs being "young".

Don't let facts get in the way of a post in the Tartan Army section of the site - no one else does.

21 hours ago, Peppino Impastato said:

He's just a bitter imbecile who thinks all young Scottish players are shite.  Cause he failed at life and it makes him feel better.

McKenna is an excellent prospect whomwill get many caps and have an excellent career.  You can tell that within about 30 seconds watching him.  Keeping Reynolds out this season too who is a good player at Scottish premiership level.

Liam cooper, on the other hand, is a bit of a haddie.

Mark Reynolds wasn't playing for Aberdeen before McKenna even returned. I'd suggest you improve your trolling. 

Very valid topic. Played with 3 left backs in back 4 (Robertson, Tierney, Mulgrew) a lot last campaign. 

Interesting to read thoughts on this thread about giving young players a chance or not. 

Thoughts on this issue here: https://thefootballblether.com/2017/12/02/will-the-scottish-centre-halves-please-stand-up-please-stand-up/

1 hour ago, Thefootballblether said:

Very valid topic. Played with 3 left backs in back 4 (Robertson, Tierney, Mulgrew) a lot last campaign. 

Interesting to read thoughts on this thread about giving young players a chance or not. 

Thoughts on this issue here: https://thefootballblether.com/2017/12/02/will-the-scottish-centre-halves-please-stand-up-please-stand-up/

Stopped reading at John souttar.  Clueless pish.  He's 21, it's hardly an indictment of a player not to have progressed past the 21s by age 21.  He's come on leaps and bounds this season, a week ago his manager described him as his club's most valuable asset and said he's ready for a move to England.  First choice for the 21s and hearts, guaranteed to make the step up soon.

Some people in Scotland just have a grudge against him cause they saw him make a mistake aged 17 and they think pointing this out gives them some insight.

17 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

He could be now if not for McKenna.  I suggest you get laid.

Do you think if you got laid you'd realise that shite trolling and pretending to be a footballer is a bit pathetic?  I'd pursue that if I were you.

Edited by forameus

Looking at it we have Hanley as the experienced option then these youngsters coming through

J Souttar

H Souttar

Lindsay

McRorie

Bates

McKenna

Hendry

As well as berra, Martin and mulgrew for one more campaign potentially.  Even guys like Findlay and Wilson and Hanlon too but scraping the barrel with those a bit.  Also Tierney and Kingsley can play there if needed.

All we need is half a dozen of them, and could mount one last attempt to get Caulker.  

3 hours ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Harry souttar has signed on loan for Ross county for the rest of the season.  Straight into the squad for tonight's game at Motherwell.  Should do him a lot of good, him and his brother are clearly going to be big players for Scotland and have the making of an excellent pairing.

Already got himself on the score sheet. What a player.

1 hour ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Got to assume with Aberdeen signing Devlin they will be selling McKenna ñow, good to see some young Scottish defenders making their way in the game now.

McInnes has reiterated that he will not leave in this window despite Aston Villa sniffing around as well now. No doubt these Championship clubs will be looking for a bargain but we have no need to sell just now with 3.5 years left on his contract. If they're not prepared to stump up a good seven figure fee plus a high sell on % then we should ignore any offers. 

ETA: He scored an absolute thunderb*****d today.

Edited by lubo_blaha

50 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

McInnes has reiterated that he will not leave in this window despite Aston Villa sniffing around as well now. No doubt these Championship clubs will be looking for a bargain but we have no need to sell just now with 3.5 years left on his contract. If they're not prepared to stump up a good seven figure fee plus a high sell on % then we should ignore any offers. 

ETA: He scored an absolute thunderb*****d today.

I don't think it would do any harm to stay at Aberdeen for a while and they need reinforcements at CB so maybe he'll be staying.  Looking better every week, watching the game on alba just now he's a cracking prospect really blossoming into a very good player, looking much more assertive and confident now.

I don't think it would do any harm to stay at Aberdeen for a while and they need reinforcements at CB so maybe he'll be staying.  Looking better every week, watching the game on alba just now he's a cracking prospect really blossoming into a very good player, looking much more assertive and confident now.

I’d keep watching if I were you!