Scotland Centre Backs

On 31/01/2024 at 20:35, Super Staggie said:

Porteous on bench again for Watford tonight, needs to be playing more minutes to get the starting spot in Germany? IMO. 

If everyone's perfectly fit and playing regularly he's not a starter for me anyway to be honest (Clarke may think differently). I think if he has everyone Hanley sits in the middle, Tierney's clearly left sided one and I think Hendry's ahead of Porteous for the right sided one.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

If everyone's perfectly fit and playing regularly he's not a starter for me anyway to be honest (Clarke may think differently). I think if he has everyone Hanley sits in the middle, Tierney's clearly left sided one and I think Hendry's ahead of Porteous for the right sided one.

The last time Hendry + Hanley were both fit they played together as you suggested in Turkey.

Porteous was beginning to get himself into the team at that time. He's come very far in the year since. Clarke really likes him, so it's difficult to be sure how it'll play out.

I don't think there is enough between them that it's important, but if I had to choose then probably Hendry would just edge it for now.

7 hours ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

Why , please ?

Don't want to derail the thread, and obviously there are thousands of small reasons, but an anti-social culture where there's only one pub for every three supermarkets and nowhere to go and watch sport on TV isn't my sort of place. Plus it's depressingly flat.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, THE_warrior said:

Does anyone know how scott mckenna is doing in Copenhagen? 

I've tried having a look across Google and nothing seems to be coming up.

Copenhagen are on their winter break. Their first game back is their Champions League game against Manchester City on 13-Feb. Scott McKenna played 2 of the 3 games in a friendly tournament called the Atlantic Cup against Molde and Elfsborg. 

McKenna played the 90 today, didn't disgrace himself although the whole team was chasing shadows for the most part.

Porteous takes a lot of stick for Watford, I'll need to make an effort to watch them next time they're on TV. You know how fans of a club can be when their team is on a bad run, tends to be a few scapegoats. They have been conceding a lot more goals under the new manager

24 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

McKenna played the 90 today, didn't disgrace himself although the whole team was chasing shadows for the most part.

Porteous takes a lot of stick for Watford, I'll need to make an effort to watch them next time they're on TV. You know how fans of a club can be when their team is on a bad run, tends to be a few scapegoats. They have been conceding a lot more goals under the new manager

They don't seem impressed with him. 

• 4 weeks later...

I thought this was an interesting quote just really confirming what many already suspected that hasn't been well circulated I don't think.

There’s a lot of centre-halves in there as well (7). I’m not going to be taking all those centre-backs, so there is a similar situation there (To taking 4 goalkeepers). They have to impress, they have to play well at their clubs if given the opportunity to play, and then I’ve got to make the selection.

Steve Clarke

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/scotland-squad-craig-gordon-steve-clarke-b2511508.html

image.png.6c9232876d565c857e967256fb5d11c2.png

The picture just really shows the last year's worth of camps. This is the first camp in a while that none of our centre-backs are injured so I can't see an issue with having them all in there to fight it out.

That is interesting @2426255, think when call ups happen you don't quite realise it until you see the facts right in front of you. We'll all have our own preferences on who to take, but ultimately Clarke is giving everyone the chance together.

On 04/12/2023 at 07:10, Stylish Kid said:

Any ideas at what point Jack Hendry playing in. retirement League is going to cause issues?

This question was discussed by Steve Clarke in todays papers.

I’ve only seen him on TV. The budget doesn’t stretch to flying all the way to Saudi Arabia to watch Jack, unfortunately. Listen, he’s playing in a league that’s quite difficult to gauge the level. I thought he did okay in the November games. Obviously, it’s three months further down the line, so a big test for Jack as well. He will get game time, let’s see where his level is at. Hopefully, it’s at the level it’s always been when he’s played for his country.

Steve Clarke

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/24185528.scott-mckenna-copenhagen-move-pleases-steve-clarke/

there was also a bit about Scott McKenna.

It’s good. I remember in the autumn games I was playing Scott and he wasn’t getting a game at Forest. I was actually playing him to try and keep him involved, keep him moving. It was nice that he got the move. I went to see him last week, I went to the Etihad to watch Scott play against Manchester City. I thought he did well. Plays in a good team. Copenhagen are starting to move up the Danish league as you get towards the business end of the season. A good move for Scott and I am pleased that he’s playing week in, week.

Steve Clarke

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/24185528.scott-mckenna-copenhagen-move-pleases-steve-clarke/