Scotland Centre Backs

With previous call-ups I was still young and a bit naïve on the park, but I feel I'm ready now to make that step up and be a Scotland centre-back. That’s the next step for me and I feel I've put myself in a good position to be able to do that. These international games are great, they let you experience playing a different level of opposition and even the players you are playing alongside, who you can learn from.

My performances this season have obviously been at a standard that convinced Steve that I'm capable of playing for his Scotland team. Do I feel they’ve been at the level they potentially could be? Probably not, but I’m in the squad, with the chance to prove myself, and that's what I wanted to achieve. I am fully concentrating on playing football and now I’m in the Scotland squad, my main focus is getting my performance level up to make sure I’m there regularly.

It won't surprise you that Martin Boyle texted me because we had been planning a few rounds of golf and he asked if I had booked them yet and told me if I had then I'd better cancel them. I think the physio had told him when he was in here on his day off. So, he was the one who told me and he was buzzing for me.

Ryan Porteous

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ryan-porteous-ready-realise-scotland-28009974

Happy for him, must be a thrill to get the call up. What role do people think he would best suit in a Steve Clarke Scotland team? 

• 2 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

And the problem is?
After all, the team that gently fingers each other in the arsehole together is, er, the team that wins together.
Or something.

This is exactly why Scotland never get really anywhere with this mentality, fisting gets you to finals.

Edited by gannonball

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Lex said:

Souttar doesn’t even get a game for Stoke, would he be in our squad?

Aye, he does. Starts every game when fit.

Haven't seen much of the boy, but he was brilliant today - doubt any of our defenders would've done better against France.

Edited by ArabFC

3 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

It was Tunisia.

He was ridden rotten v France the other day.

Yup.  He actually didn’t play very well today either.  He just won a few headers and made a couple of blocks because he was mikes out of position. Colin Hendry defending.   He’s not very good. 

Edited by Savage Henry

On 26/11/2022 at 15:20, Savage Henry said:

Yup.  He actually didn’t play very well today either.  He just won a few headers and made a couple of blocks because he was mikes out of position. Colin Hendry defending.   He’s not very good. 

Just won a few headers again today 🙄

Saw Australia through to the last 16.

3 hours ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Ahem

There's quite a few people on here due me an apology. I knew I was right I didn't need the confirmation, but you lot did.

So form an orderly queue, don't worry I'll be very graceful....

🤣 I knew you wouldn't be able to resist the lure of Younger Souttar playing in the world cup.

Im not one that owes an apology for anything, I thought we should have had him involved at u21 at least.

But tbh hes not really played that well.

Incidentally, why don't you post here much anymore?

4 hours ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Ahem

There's quite a few people on here due me an apology. I knew I was right I didn't need the confirmation, but you lot did.

So form an orderly queue, don't worry I'll be very graceful....

Fair play I quite liked the look of him when he was on loan at County but never did I think he would be pinging 40 yard balls for fun at a World Cup.

12 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

🤣 I knew you wouldn't be able to resist the lure of Younger Souttar playing in the world cup.

Im not one that owes an apology for anything, I thought we should have had him involved at u21 at least.

But tbh hes not really played that well.

Incidentally, why don't you post here much anymore?

I think he's been excellent. Strolled through their games and set up the goal in the first game with a great long ball. 

Before he got injured he was being linked to Everton for big money. He's still only 24.  I would be surprised if a premiership team doesn't come in for him in January after his performances, or end of the season if Stoke don't want to sell just now.

By this point he'd be in every Scotland squad, possibly a first choice in the starting 11, and we'll into double figures caps maybe 15-20. And what an asset at set pieces, plus he can play he's calm and composed. If he had pace he could play for anyone.

And we missed out on him purely because idiot managers at age group level didn't pick him for just over 18 months. All the while I'm on a football forum are screaming what's going on here why is he not getting picked. It's very frustrating.

As it happens I have followed his career very closely since he was about 15. I used to know a scout at Dundee Utd and remember the conversation well. I've told the story on here. I bumped into him one day when John Souttar had just broke into the Utd team and was looking amazing at 16/17. Roma tried to buy him at this time.

Anyway I said to him what about that John Souttar eh he's fuckin class etc he straight away goes "you should see his wee brother he's even better". So I've followed him since then.

So it's a particularly sore one for me but tempered a bit by Dykes and the fact we seem to have a few really good CB's coming through now.

Just busy. Nice to be missed though. Hope you're doing well.

12 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Fair play I quite liked the look of him when he was on loan at County but never did I think he would be pinging 40 yard balls for fun at a World Cup.

It's just the raw attributes are so good. He's eight feet tall, but really quite elegant for a defender, clever, composed, technically quality for a CB just like his brother. And he was always progressing really quickly really young, until his injury his entire career had been one long upwards trend.

Similar to Jack Hendry actually his attributes are so outstanding he was always going to be half decent for somebody.  He has defensive deficiencies that mean he'll never play right at the top imo but Souttar probably will and Scotland have very few like that just now.

24 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

It's just the raw attributes are so good. He's eight feet tall, but really quite elegant for a defender, clever, composed, technically quality for a CB just like his brother. And he was always progressing really quickly really young, until his injury his entire career had been one long upwards trend.

Similar to Jack Hendry actually his attributes are so outstanding he was always going to be half decent for somebody.  He has defensive deficiencies that mean he'll never play right at the top imo but Souttar probably will and Scotland have very few like that just now.

Would agree regarding Hendry too. He doesn’t have the same physique as Souttar. I would say Souttars range of passing is better and takes less needless touches too so doesn’t invite pressure as much. Defensively Souttar is better also imo.