Scotland Centre Backs

13 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Not surprising given he’s just not very good. An ok stop-gap for the centre of the back 3 when we switched to that formation but no way back for him as soon as Hanley became good and Cooper showed he will be able to cover that role if required.

I thought Jack Hendry did a really good job covering Grant Hanley's role against Israel and I think Scott McKenna could also be well suited to that given how strong he is in the air. I can see why Declan Gallagher isn't really part of the Scotland team. 

Gallagher's a Scotland cult hero imo. Folk talk about "never let Scotland down" types but he's probably one of the only players who it genuinely applies to.
Gordon Greer is the closest I can think of. Won a handful of caps and was surprisingly solid in all of them.
ETA obviously he never played in a playoff final win.

2 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Celtic and Rangers fans are quite shaken up by it too, for whatever reason.

Most terminally online Old Firm fans have been obsessed with McKenna since he broke through with us, and the reason for this has never been entirely clear to me. 

5 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Most terminally online Old Firm fans have been obsessed with McKenna since he broke through with us, and the reason for this has never been entirely clear to me. 

Yeah from day one as well. I remember on his debut old firm Da's on twitter being delighted he was at fault for a goal when none of the commentators, pundits or Forest fans seemed to think he was. I don't think even Aberdeen fans claimed he was a world beater but for whatever reason him being sold for a few million seemed to really antagonize them.

Weirdo behaviour.

Delighted for McKenna. He’s taken some amount of stick from fans of other Scottish clubs but the fact that the likes of McInnes, Clarke and Cooper rate him so highly counts for a lot more than what they think. He made a couple of mistakes when he first came in but it was disappointing that a young centre half with big potential was made a scapegoat when we were at our lowest ebb.

Will be good to see him perform at a higher level and hopefully he kicks on for Scotland as well.

it’s a little hybrid of the three central defenders because Scott McTominay plays in midfield for Manchester United, you’ve got Grant Hanley who’s a proper head it and kick it centre half and then we’ve been using Kieran as an inside full back if you like. That worked well for us, obviously the games coming up we won’t have Kieran and I’ll have to tweak it again; we’ll have to find a slightly different dynamic to that three.

Steve Clarke

https://youtu.be/29hHRfN5rrM?t=317

Should be nice to see what he comes up with.

Edited by 2426255

Hopefully last night is the last time we need to see Hanley and Cooper in Scotland jerseys. 

Both need booting out and replaced by younger players as we rebuild for Euro 2024 or World Cup 2026.

As for Declan Gallagher - he has struggled to get into a rank bad Aberdeen team and when he has played he's been absolute horse. I would happily see him leave Aberdeen this summer.

2 minutes ago, highland_mechanic said:

Hopefully last night is the last time we need to see Hanley and Cooper in Scotland jerseys. 

Both need booting out and replaced by younger players as we rebuild for Euro 2024 or World Cup 2026.

As for Declan Gallagher - he has struggled to get into a rank bad Aberdeen team and when he has played he's been absolute horse. I would happily see him leave Aberdeen this summer.

That's classic knee-jerk stuff. Hanley is and will remain the centrepoint of our defence for a few more years at least. Cooper hasn't really ever found his groove in our side, but I wouldn't be jettisoning him either - I think the LCB slot in the back three last night (the way we play it) just didn't suit him as a solid, no-nonsense CB.

As for younger players: who would you say is ready to oust Hanley and Cooper?

Thing about Hanley is that he's generally a pretty good CB, but he has one chronic Achilles Heel - it's impossible for him to turn.

Watch every time he has to change direction. Takes him years to flip his hips. It's why he has to play at the centre of a back three where players aren't going to run at him directly.

He also can't pass the ball at all, but whatever.

His strengths overall make up for some pretty clearly defined weaknesses.

I reckon you'd have about 3 players still available to play for us if you listened to every post about players who should never play for us again.
I'm curious to know who the three would be as I'm pretty sure every player has got it at some point.