Scotland Centre Backs

2 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Is Dominic Hyam any good? Notice he's getting a regular game for Coventry since I started an FM save with them.

A better bet than Kal Naismith and one worth keeping an eye on but don't see him troubling Scotland squads for now.

Aye put Hyam in same category as Kal Naismith and Murray Wallace.

Championship level defenders, who may get the odd squad call up here or there after a purple patch or injury crisis but are never likely to play a higher level.

Probably fine as back up options to do a job but never going to be regular starters

12 hours ago, DavidMcG said:

Aye put Hyam in same category as Kal Naismith and Murray Wallace.

Championship level defenders, who may get the odd squad call up here or there after a purple patch or injury crisis but are never likely to play a higher level.

Probably fine as back up options to do a job but never going to be regular starters

SPFL guys like Souttar, Porteous, Halkett and Gallagher all seem to be ahead of those guys in the pecking order so it would take a huge injury crisis to see them called up.

I’m expecting a McTominay-Hanley-McKenna back three in the semi final 

17 hours ago, LoonsYouthTeam said:

Thought Souttar had a great game for Hearts yesterday, had a lot of defending to do

McTominay gets shifted back to RCB because he's 'good on the ball'. So is Souttar and he has the added attribute of actually being a defender,

There’s varying levels of being “good on the ball”. McTominay’s biggest asset to us has been driving out from defence. If Tierney doesn’t make it that becomes even more important.

Edited by eez-eh

3 hours ago, ArabFC said:

McTominay gets shifted back to RCB because he's 'good on the ball'. So is Souttar and he has the added attribute of actually being a defender,

2 hours ago, eez-eh said:

There’s varying levels of being “good on the ball”. McTominay’s biggest asset to us has been driving out from defence. If Tierney doesn’t make it that becomes even more important.

I haven't seen much of Scott McTominay, John Souttar or Jack Hendry for their club sides, but have spent some time watching each of them perform Steve Clarke's RCB role for Scotland I have formed the view that what Scott McTominay brings to the team is worth any defensive deficiencies in a similar way with Kieran Tierney.

I think Jack Hendry and John Souttar are quite even and are both excellent options and have no issue if either are selected, but I found it fairly easy to see why Steve Clarke will predominantly choose Scott McTominay who I think is a bit ahead of the other two. 

Edited by 2426255

If Scotland won final play off than Scotland squad name centre back first name and stand by of centre back who good enough in squad and stand by?
If we made the WC finals?

First choice CBs:
Hanley
Tierney
Hendry
Cooper
McKenna
McTominay (though I don't like us relying on him in this position)

Standby CBs:
Souttar
Porteus
Halkett

Looking at that depth is really quite heartening, considering that, roughly 5 years ago, we were wailing about a dearth of centre backs and pining for the likes of Liam Lyndsay to mature into the new Colin Hendry.

10 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

If we made the WC finals?

First choice CBs:
Hanley
Tierney
Hendry
Cooper
McKenna
McTominay (though I don't like us relying on him in this position)

Standby CBs:
Souttar
Porteus
Halkett

Looking at that depth is really quite heartening, considering that, roughly 5 years ago, we were wailing about a dearth of centre backs and pining for the likes of Liam Lyndsay to mature into the new Colin Hendry.

Porteous not good enough because he is silly player lots sent off (red card)

Scotland still look right good players centre back

Murray Wallace

Edited by Craigieboy86

Porteous not good enough because he is silly player lots sent off (red card)
Scotland still look right good players centre back
Murray Wallace
Aye, Porteus is definitely a risk, even as a stand by. Still one of our best defensive prospects though.

7 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

Standby CBs:
Souttar
Porteus
Halkett

5 hours ago, Craigieboy86 said:

Hyam in same category as Kal Naismith and Murray Wallace possible Standby CB with Halkett and Souttar

John Souttar is right on the selection line for me, unlike Craig Halkett or Ryan Porteous who for me are lower in the pecking order. It's hard to tell for the June selection because of the increased squad size and the fact that he was injured and therefore unavailable in March. It wouldn't surprise me if John Souttar became a regular member of the squad over the remainder of 2022 and into 2023.

Declan Gallagher is one player that seems to have completely fallen out of favour now.

IMO it’s:

First choice back 3: 

McTominay-Hanley-Tierney

Second choice:

Hendry-Cooper-McKenna

Third choice:

Porteous-Souttar-Halkett

3 hours ago, Donathan said:

Declan Gallagher is one player that seems to have completely fallen out of favour now.

Not surprising given he’s just not very good. An ok stop-gap for the centre of the back 3 when we switched to that formation but no way back for him as soon as Hanley became good and Cooper showed he will be able to cover that role if required.