Scotland Centre Backs

2 hours ago, ropy said:

If Gallagher had been fit would he have been in line to be called up before Porteous, or has his time come and gone?  It was good while it lasted.

I’d be astounded if we seen Gallagher in the squad never mind starting again. Given he can only really be used in the middle of the three he’s behind Hanley, Cooper, Hendry and even McKenna and Porteous for that position.

Never say never with Clarke, but I think Gallagher is done. Incredible considering just how good he was in Belgrade barely a year ago.

It points to how the system is more important than the players under Clarke, we've got various centre-backs who've looked hopeless under other managers who are now absolutely strolling through games. It was the same with us, where it wouldn't really matter if we had an injury and Scott Boyd had to come in, you knew the rest of the team would protect him.

On 16/11/2021 at 15:36, accies1874 said:

There's been pretty much no drop-off with Cooper, Gallagher or Hanley in the middle of the three. f**k it, let's give Porteous a go.

Maybe a secondary reason for S.S.C. calling up Porteous was to continue to give " encouragement " to home based players 

Edited by Ewan8472

6 hours ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

I’d be astounded if we seen Gallagher in the squad never mind starting again. Given he can only really be used in the middle of the three he’s behind Hanley, Cooper, Hendry and even McKenna and Porteous for that position.

He sure as shit shouldn't be behind Porteous! He probably won't get the call up again but he was brilliant when he played.

3 hours ago, ArabFC said:

He sure as shit shouldn't be behind Porteous! He probably won't get the call up again but he was brilliant when he played.

Gallacher did all right winning aerial battles over the top and can knock the ball around well,but my issue with him is that he has no pace

Anybody that has good enough pace can beat him which isn't good enough for international football 

We have saw enough off him and most other jobber SPL center backs except John Souttar who was brilliant but he won't be at Hearts for long

54 minutes ago, General dissaray said:

Gallacher did all right winning aerial battles over the top and can knock the ball around well,but my issue with him is that he has no pace

Anybody that has good enough pace can beat him which isn't good enough for international football 

We have saw enough off him and most other jobber SPL center backs except John Souttar who was brilliant but he won't be at Hearts for long

Should get Jack Elliot called up.

14 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Super Duper Liam Cooper is fucking magic. I love how aggressive he is, doesn't give his man a second to spare and absolutely clatters everything. Souttar stepping into the fold and strolling it is very encouraging too. Starting to develop proper options at the back now. And what a great feeling that is. 

What a problem to have.. If all fit , keep it the same as last night for the next game  , if not we maybe have at least 1 solid option for anyone across the back 3 ,, and that is without having to fit Mctominay in ..Anyhow thats what the manager gets paid for , his problem haha.. 

10 hours ago, gastropod said:

What a problem to have.. If all fit , keep it the same as last night for the next game  , if not we maybe have at least 1 solid option for anyone across the back 3 ,, and that is without having to fit Mctominay in ..Anyhow thats what the manager gets paid for , his problem haha.. 

We don't have to fit McTominay in - that's the lesson to be learnt from this.

40 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

We don't have to fit McTominay in - that's the lesson to be learnt from this.

9 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Mctominay currently doesn't deserve to be in first 11...

I really like McTominay as a player but I'd agree with both of the above. For all his ability on the ball he's just not a secure central defender IMHO.

Likewise on recent form and with the formation played in the last games I wouldn't be dropping any of the current midfielders to fit him in.

For a while I really disliked Cooper under Clarke. Solid enough at the back but his distribution was shite. Too often went looking for longer passes that just gave the ball away. That seems to have gone now but I'm presuming that's down to just getting to know the squad/system a bit better. Can't remember the last time he's put a foot wrong.

On 16/11/2021 at 10:12, Marshmallo said:

He was, over 3 years ago when I made that post.

Cooper was a hot mess who was regularly caught outside his defensive line and had the James McPake trait of having to make last ditch tackles to cover for the fact it was a situation created by him. He seems to have sorted that out as he's gotten older.

• 1 month later...

So we’ve been recovering players, even if (Kalvin) Phillips and (Liam) Cooper will return in March.

Marcelo Bielsa

https://youtu.be/yTO1_sd_oIw?t=1504

When you said that Cooper and Phillips could potentially be out until March is that when you expect them to be back or is that a worst case scenario?

No, that’s what we expect, that’s what’s predicted.

Marcelo Bielsa

https://youtu.be/yTO1_sd_oIw?t=2208

Change of manager at Club Brugge.

The 49-year-old is a replacement for Philippe Clement, who recently left his post to take on the job at AS Monaco.

Schreuder has signed a one-and-a-half-year deal in Belgium and gets his first job since being sacked as an assistant coach at Barcelona following the departure of Ronald Koeman.

http://www.football-oranje.com/schreuder-named-club-brugge-head-coach/

Edited by 2426255